Sky3ds supports 3DS v9.4.0-21 with no game limit

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by smasbros, Dec 12, 2014.

1. smasbros
    OP

smasbros GBAtemp Regular

Nov 15, 2014
    btSKY3DS (the sky3ds come with a blue button) has no game limit , and also confirmed to work directly for 3DS 9.4.0-21.
    Sky3ds official news quoted here:
    * It's confirmed! SKY3DS can support the newest update - V9.4.0-21U/E/J. (12/12/2014)
    * The new batch of SKY3DS card (no game limit) is releasing today! (12/10/2014)

The new SKY3DS card, which come with a blue button, has the exactly same features with the old one
    except - no game limit any more.(Video)

2. OuahOuah

OuahOuah GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 2, 2006
    France
    France
    No "common" shops with it on store...
    (eachmall, yeahgeek and so)

3. Abdelatif

Abdelatif Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2013
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Great news, now gateway team can analyze this and release a support for 9.4.0 :P

4. UraKn0x

UraKn0x Official senpai

Mar 20, 2014
    France
    Nope, Sky3DS is not exploit-based, so there's nothing to analyze.

MarkDarkness likes this.
  5. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    Well, good for them, if they removed that silly 10 game limit, then this may be a worthwhile solution if Gateway by any chance is still limited to 9.2.0.
    Did Gateway release any statement about 9.3.0 yet?

6. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    Yup... Soon.

dplaktos and ChrisRX like this.
  7. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    No CIA support, No Homebrew Support, No online, Non updateable = No thankyou

8. Arithmatics

Arithmatics I'll be holding on to you. ;}

Jan 29, 2009
    Malaysia
    Just warning people to not update.

9. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Addict

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    I would like to test a Sky. even thinking that GW features would be better, but really I cant afford it, the idea that soon nintendo can block it forever just make me get away the idea of getting one :/

10. Rinnegatamante

Rinnegatamante GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    Did you mean "release SOON a support"?

We're also waiting the release SOON for 9.2 support <.<

11. omegart

omegart GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    and the support for 8.1 ç_ç

dplaktos likes this.
  12. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    If really isn't exploit-based, that makes it a serious consideration for me. A card that's theoretically unblockable and functions just like a legit card sounds too good to be true from my perspective. I don't particularly care for region-free or any of the other jazz that the Gateway provides.

(then again, if Nintendo does figure out a way to block it, then that's a huge turn-off, considering that they've already revised the actual card once already)

13. Arithmatics

Arithmatics I'll be holding on to you. ;}

Jan 29, 2009
    Malaysia
    But it really makes you wonder what exploit is being used doesn't it? I mean to emulate a retail cart and somehow inject roms to trick the system into thinking that it's a real retail cart is just crazy.

14. JimBonza

JimBonza Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 13, 2014

No online? And you heard this where? LOL. Mine works perfectly fine.

15. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    But the thing is, if it's emulating a real cart 100%, it's not exploiting anything. If it's not taking advantage of any bugs or security holes in order to function, then by definition, it's not an exploit.
    ...That being said, I haven't seen any proof that the Sky3DS actually does emulate it perfectly (unless you count the fact it hasn't been blocked by the recent 3DS firmware updates).

16. JimBonza

JimBonza Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 13, 2014

Almost definitely doesn't emulate it perfectly, since it doesn't work with Powersaves. But maybe that's to do with the save files.

17. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    its not really an "exploit" basically they studied how a retail card communicates with the system and made their card emulate that and pass the required checks needed to be properly authenticated, exactly the same concept as ODE devices it just pretends to be legit.....but emulation is never truly perfect, like how the ode devices have been blocked on the PS3 and needed updates to try emulate more accurately....just because it works on the default cart authentication if/when Nintendo ups the ante and makes them more thorough/strict it would more than likely need a update to bypass any addition checks or produce more accurate results.

basically now this kind of thing exists i doubt nintendo could permanently block this type of device, but they can keep playing games.....and seeing as sky3ds seem to have a non-upgradable card expect lots of pretty coloured buttons :P

18. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    So they removed the chip and code to check for the 10 game limit and expect people to rebuy the non-crippled version?

[/golf clap]

MarkDarkness likes this.
  19. WaryLouka

WaryLouka Official Representative of the SuperCard Team

Banned
    Jun 22, 2013
    United States
    NO RECORDS
    Well, if you are looking for an almost unpatchable card that only play games, go for the Sky3DS
    If you are looking for an all-in-one card that can run homebrew, install CIAs, and play games, but that it get patched every system update, go for the Gateway.

20. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yep im sure there is a market for sky3ds....but imho its still (kinda) over priced for what it is, if it was similar or cheaper than gateway and i was on 9.3+ i would certainly consider it, but its not really "unpatchable" and if it was then it might be worth a bit more than gateway to not have to wait on updated emunand support etc......for people who simply want free games from their own region only and can accept that at some point they *may* be faced with the decision to not play any new games released or retire their sky3ds card....its probably a very viable solution