Gambia, The

xdrako23x

Crash Bandicoot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I posted an answer to this question to another thread a while ago.

The 31 game limit is per-sdcard and is a fixed limit with how Sky3DS (and clones) currently work and where they store game positions, identifiers, savegames and actual game data.

You can see my full answer here

The rom limit probably won't be removed without a new hardware revision or Sky3DS firmware update (if that is even possible). There are a couple of reasons.

Sky3DS uses the String "ROMS" inside the Sd-Card to identify if it is a Sky3DS Sd-Card, and not any random data. This string is located at byte 256 on the sdcard.
Between byte 0 and 256 there are sections of 2*4 bytes each that tell Sky3DS where a rom starts and how big it is.

This alone would give a theoretic maximum of 32 games, but there is more to it.

The first sector for rom data starts at 32MB, and the first MB of the sdcard is already used for section headers, the partition table and the small fat partition with "setup.zip" or whatever in it.
So there are only 31MB left between 1MB and 32MB for savegames, and each savegame is 1MB in size, so that means Sky3DS can only store 31 savegames on an sdcard,
so that is probably why it is limited to 31 games.

Card2 savegames are not stored in this area, but Sky3DS just ignores that slot for Card2 savegames, and it is a wasted MB, which doesn't really matter because our other maximum would be 32 anyway, and 1 more game... yea well, may as well use another Sd-Card.

If anyone is interested in more details, I have documented the layout here: https://github.com/lukas2511/sky3ds.py/wiki/Disk-Layout

The problem since I dont understand that sort of language. Can you explain it more for noob like me. :) edit : you should send a email to sky3ds team about that a should be useful :P.

lukas_2511

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The problem since I dont understand that sort of language. Can you explain it more for noob like me. :) edit : you should send a email to sky3ds team about that a should be useful :P.

There are only 32 garages, but 1 of them is filled with crap, so you can only park 31 cars in the garages. You can't build more garages because next to the garages there is already some other building that you can not move or destroy without society collapsing.

Nuxx20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why this is an issue at all. 31 games is a lot anyway and it does take 7-8 seconds to switch between each game anyway... I find myself deleting games from my Sky anyway because I don't want to wait too much between switching.

Reactions: lukas_2511

xdrako23x

Crash Bandicoot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see why this is an issue at all. 31 games is a lot anyway and it does take 7-8 seconds to switch between each game anyway... I find myself deleting games from my Sky anyway because I don't want to wait too much between switching.

I think the only reason it take time between switching games it because of the speed of the micro sd and the format.

lukas_2511

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think the only reason it take time between switching games it because of the speed of the micro sd and the format.

I don't think the speed of the microsd card matters that much. And even if it would, I have reasonable fast sdcards here, and game-switching is still painfully slow. IIRC on every game switch the savegame for the current game is first stored on sdcard, then the next game is loaded and the savegame for that game gets loaded too, that takes time, even on faster sdcards.

DSlite2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's painful enough to cycle through 15+ games on my Sky3DS. Each game stakes 8 seconds to load from the time the button is pushed to the new game on screen. I can't imagine having to cycle through 31+ games just to get to the game I want to play. I'm using a 32GB SanDisk Extreme PRO U3 card with 95MB/s speeds (although I have yet to see those speeds in my tests. More like half that) Someone with the same card claimed to have 3 second load times in his Sky3DS. He posted about it in another thread.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That's one bad nightmare