Since Trucha Signer could be used to install firmware...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by quadomatic, Mar 1, 2008.

1. quadomatic
    OP

Member quadomatic GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is it possible that someone could dump the newest firmware updates, modify them so that Trucha Signer remains usable, and then have everyone install the update from there? That way, any future updates required for whatever reason won't cause Trucha Signer to stop working?

Is this similar to the way custom firmware is made for the PSP, or am I missing something?

2. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    How exactly would you be able to dump a firmware and then apply it to the Wii from your computer?

3. quadomatic
    OP

United States
    I'm not sure how the firmware would be dumped...maybe its possible to dump the firmware with a program via the Twilight Hack or a program on a disc modded with Trucha Signer.

I figured it would be possible to install firmware from a disc signed with Trucha Signer.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Possible like what happens with the PSP. Sure, it might require a bit of fiddling but it could be done.

Easy: not a chance: as of right now to my knowledge nobody has a wii remote working via homebrew (excluding flash based stuff on browser) let alone the more complex stuff the firmware presides over. Some basic hacks might appear shortly but full blown custom stuff seems some way away, certainly not within the timeframe that people are expecting the gap to be closed in.
    As for updates it is fairly easy to rip them from discs and I believe there were some more advanced chips/devices that did not make much of a dent.

Good news though is people have already managed to disable updates and chip checks so it should be possible to hold out for a while (not that I have seen much worth updating for).

5. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    i think we would see some sort of wii loader first like swap magic

6. Shuny

Member Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

France
    A Wii Disc that repairs Semi Bricked wii could be created easily but I doubt we will see custom firmware, not now.

7. quadomatic
    OP

United States
    There are discs that check for chips?

Are you talking about Error 001 in Brawl? I googled some stuff, and it says that the disc doesn't detect a chip; it just detects that its a burned copy. Most upgradeable chips have released updates that gets around this security.

8. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Well, if anyone can find a way, that'd be awesome.

9. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    There's no need to "dump" the firmware...
    If a game requires a newer firmware, the firmware will be included on the game disc...someone could grab the firmware from the game disc (shoud be way easier than dumping it from the Wii's firmware flashrom), somehow modify it so it doesn't disable Trucha-signed games (that's most likely the hardest part) and then put it back onto the game disc, so the game will install the new modified firmware...

10. aaa2

Newcomer aaa2 Advanced Member

United States
    If the firmware is split up in different parts handling different things you could edit the inf so that the part in future firmwares that could prevent trucha discs from working is not written to flash but only the things that do not include patches like this. Things that are very unlikely to include a trucha signer patch are things related to media files and alike

11. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Well on games like SMG all the channels are there. Shopping channel, News and all that so getting the firmware updates and channels should not be hard.

12. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    You guys are forgetting encryption. FULL AND COMPLETE copies of the wii firmware have been floating around for ages. I downloaded one copy over a year ago. People just cant crack that nasty RSA encryption.

http://openwii.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=203

You can even buy blank wii Firmware chips!
    http://www.atvgc.com/shop/

They can only be used for official firmware though.

13. quadomatic
    OP

United States
    And thus, another plan dies

14. ProdigySim

Member ProdigySim GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yep. Even if you decrypt it (which people actually have been able to do), you aren't going to be able to run any firmware that isn't signed by Nintendo and your Wii both.

The Trucha Signer only signs discs through a bug in Wii firmware. There is no method of signing the discs in a legitimate way, much less signing the firmware. The likeliness of a firmware signing bug is slim, too.

15. Xeronage

Member Xeronage GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Now only is we had someone with a badass Quantum Computer to execute Shor's algorithm.. We'd crack that RSA in a day [​IMG]

(not a chance)

16. moquette

Newcomer moquette Member

China
    maybe we can code a distributed compute program [​IMG]

but for the easy applying of a Trucha Signer trick (not easy for everyones), I am currently working on it : WUM (aka Wii Update Manager)
    http://wum.talevas.com

And i need some testers, i you want to contribute, we will do it faster.

For al my research on the updates in game, all is in the website in the development page.
    Have a look [​IMG]

17. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    cool hope it works good luck with the app moquette.

18. SomeGuyGG

Member SomeGuyGG GBAtemp Regular

Canada

Cool program, just tried it out, seems to work fine.

Could you add an undo option though? To restore the original disc, I don't like how it automatically patches it and you loose the original image.

19. moquette

Newcomer moquette Member

China
    @SomeGuyGG

there is no Undo button, but when you patch an iso for the first time, it will write inside what was the original update.

So if you analyse it in the future, you will see it, and you can replace the actual update with the original one.

this way you have exactly the same iso file as the original one, added just one string with the md5 of the original update (information that will not trouble anything).

20. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    How would custom firmware be possible on the wii what would the program write like the custom firmware over the real firmware on the disc and wii or what?Sorry if this sounds like a noobish question but I was just wondering.