Hacking DEAD [Shutdown]DragonInjector - Game Cart Payload Injector (Trinket M0 Clone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timgamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello , @MatinatorX ,I would like to know if it will work one day , I doubt it will ever be on the market ? Reply to me as soon as possible please . Goodbye .

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Is it possible the issue you're experiencing with the dongle staying on isn't to do with the transistor but rather maybe a short pulling the transistor gate up? I'm thinking the connection to the switch mainboard through the usb-c may have some unknown trace, a capacitor acting like a sink, or some kind of other apparatus that's pulling the pin up.

Or did I misunderstand and it's staying on even when disconnected?

It's possible something funny is going on like that but I tried 3 different devices (My phone, my Switch and my PC) and all of them behaved the same, which the dongle staying powered even when removed from the device. I've swapped the MOSFET for a transistor in the latest revision, so hopefully that doesn't give me issues. I'll know for sure once the boards arrive hopefully this week.

I posted the schematic earlier in the thread, looking over it again I'm still not sure why the resistor and diode wouldn't pull the gate low but the transistor won't need either of those. Removing the MOSFET and soldering two wires to the source and drain, then touching them together and breaking the connection worked just fine, so I know it was the MOSFET.

It's also possible I fried it with the heat gun. It ended up being faster without it anyways so I won't be using it again.:lol:

Triptamine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Where do I place my order?
You don't yet. MatinatorX is waiting for boards to get it working as desired then sending some off to testers. Then I believe a public batch will be made and sold through his tindie.

I want one asap too but I'm glad we're getting all this dedication to quality control and QA. Patience man! This is looking to be the best launcher on the market lets not rush progress.

Underprivlidged

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be willing to pay for a test unit. I've been dabbling with quite a few different things, but until I get a 3d printer I can't do much making like this.

Reactions: pietempgba

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everyone, time for another update!

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their patience and support. I know the project has taken longer than anticipated thanks to some unforeseen issues and I'm sorry I haven't been able to meet the "best case" deadlines I had set. Hardware is a tricky thing sometimes and even the smallest change to the PCB adds at least a week to the project (as well as a good chunk of my time and cash budgeted for my hobbies) while I wait for them to be manufactured and shipped. You all have been really understanding about this and I'm grateful for that.

So, what's going on with the project right now? As previously mentioned, I'm waiting on the new boards to arrive. They were ordered last week and will hopefully be here this week, at which time I'll solder one up and get to testing. If it works, I'll post a video demonstrating such and get to work soldering up the ten prototype units.

In addition to the schematic fixes, there have also been many of other changes to the PCB to facilitate hand soldering. This will remove a good bit of frustration and save time both for myself and anyone else who wants to try to build one. The SMD parts are now largely all in a single row and have silkscreen identifiers now. The Type C footprint was modified to remove unused pins and have large solder reservoirs which, combined with the thicker 0.8mm board, should make soldering the Type C connector magnitudes easier than it was before. Many component footprints were enlarged as well, such as the RGB LED, for easier soldering. Gerber images are below.

One other thing that was bothering me was the single screw holding the board in. It was functional, but I started to worry that over time the PCB may warp with heat from the console or some other unforeseen issue and raise up slightly. It might be paranoia, but I've added two more screws to the design, one to secure the edge of the board properly and another to further strengthen the Type C port so it's secured on both sides.

This leads me into the next change. I mentioned the new board design before, even if I didn't have time to go into great detail at that moment. Something I didn't mention before is that I'm also waiting on a new case design. :P

Long story short, while making the latest revision of the PCB I found a bunch of ways to optimize part locations, traces etc. and in doing so I managed to shave the length of the board down by quite a bit, which gave me a lot more room to play with for the design. If I think I can make something better, I don't really give myself any choice but try. I was getting a little dissatisfied with the old case design and didn't like a few things about it, such as the cap being held on by the friction of the Type C port or the big ugly holes for the buttons and RGB LED. I had a new PCB I was quite proud of and I really wanted a new case to match. Shrinking the PCB was all the motivation I needed for a redesign and I now have a case I'm quite happy with. I've attached some basic renders below. I will update the main post with proper renders and a revised poster as soon as I can find the time - day job is still quite busy and overtime is still required which limits my time to work on the project.

The cap now slides on via a butterfly groove which should be much easier to put on and take off and should stand up much better to years of abuse. The switches were replaced with low profile tactile domes and are getting proper plastic buttons for them now. The jig is largely unchanged other than adding a bit more length so it's more comfortable to use and easier to install the resistor.. I'm still getting the prototype cases made through 3DHubs and they should be here shortly after the new boards arrive, but I also now have two Anycubic Photon printers in the mail that I bought a few days ago that I can't wait to put to work. :D

Anyways, I think that about covers where the project stands right now. I'd really like some feedback on the new case and PCB design so please let me know what you think!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that all the components and circuitry for card slot charging is still present in case a software solution is found later to make it work. I put the solder bridge pads for the "detect" pin on the exposed side of the PCB near the logo so you don't have to take it to bits to enable the feature. Also, the "R" button is the reset button and the "+" button will be used to change payloads. Also, the board will be black, not green. :)

1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png Gerber.png Gerber2.png

Last edited by MatinatorX,

Deleted member 461907

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man that looks great. It's going to be the best dongle and jig by far. No doubt the other companies will copy your design right after production. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't already.

Konsus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nice job! I really like the aspects of the redesign, the only thing which bothers me, is that's a little little bit uncomfortable to only be able to pull out the resistor after the jig.

Those plastic buttons make the card very precious :)

Man that looks great. It's going to be the best dongle and jig by far. No doubt the other companies will copy your design right after production. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't already.

Wait for the SX Pro mini

Last edited by Konsus,
Reactions: MatinatorX

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Nice job! I really like the aspects of the redesign, the only thing which bothers me, is that's a little little bit uncomfortable to only be able to pull out the resistor after the jig.

Those plastic buttons make the card very precious :)

Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean about the resistor though. It's not pictured in those renders, but once the resistor is installed (by me) it gets glued into place and never moves again as it's part of the jig. I wanted it to be a requirement to remove the cap to get access to the jig so the jig couldn't come loose if you were storing this in one of those mesh game card cases.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I will consider it a compliment if a company feels the need to copy a hobby project I did on my own in my spare time for fun. :D

Konsus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean about the resistor though.

I am sorry for the confusion. I meant the jig instead of the resistor.

The way of storing is well thought, I was too concentrated on my own laziness. Does the jig put a bit pressure onto the USB C port to keep the dongle in place? Or how good does the card holdnig up its position?

pietempgba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks really awesome thanks @MatinatorX

Also does the USB c take a little but of pressure to plug into the switch? I noticed that on some USB c cords I have lying around and I don't like it much.

Last edited by pietempgba,

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
I am sorry for the confusion. I meant the jig instead of the resistor.

The way of storing is well thought, I was too concentrated on my own laziness. Does the jig put a bit pressure onto the USB C port to keep the dongle in place? Or how good does the card holdnig up its position?

No pressure on the Type C port, I want it to last. :P

Rather, the thinner section of the jig will be a friction fit into the slot thanks to the resistor leads. I've attached a better angle illustrating such.

The butterfly groove for the cap will also be friction fit but much less so since there is more surface area, only enough so it won't fall off in a bag etc.

6.png

XiorgON

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@MatinatorX

i have lost my word,.. Wow this v4 is so nice. Good damm thanks and thanks again
i continue to wait, i never forget the dev, the tech, the engineer you are. Its a wonderful day

:-)

XiorgON

Reactions: MatinatorX

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
@MatinatorX

i have lost my word,.. Wow this v4 is so nice. Good damm thanks and thanks again
i continue to wait, i never forget the dev, the tech, the engineer you are. Its a wonderful day

:-)

XiorgON

Thanks buddy! :D

Also, before anyone bugs me about the buttons spinning around and looking funny, I have little tabs in the latest version I forgot about for the above render. See attached:

7.png

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Are the pins on the jog going to wrap underneath, or maybe point out then conceal the end?
They wrap underneath. There are two exit holes on the front that follow the grooves, then wrap underneath, then there are two more holes in the bottom at the back to pull the extra length back up into where the resistor is. Then the extra get snipped and some glue or epoxy is put in. Check the concept poster in the first post, the jig is pretty much unchanged. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...