Shovel Knight coming to Nintendo Switch + More!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    logo_shovel-630x465.png

Yacht Club Games has just revealed a couple of new announcements for Shovel Knight. Most importantly, the game is getting a port to the Nintendo Switch. The original game will also be getting re-titled to Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope, to match the naming scheme of Plague of Shadows and Specter of Torment add-ons.

Later on in the year, Yacht Club will be releasing King Knight's Campaign, staring the eponymous character. There will also be a "Battle" mode, where you can fight in up to 4 player local multiplayer.

2 Player local multiplayer will be added to all console home versions of the game as well. This feature used to be exclusive to Wii U owners with a Shovel Knight Amiibo.

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove and Specter of Torment will be coming to the Switch, though the company did not clarify on the matter.

Finally, the game's initial price will be raising. You have only a small time frame to buy it at the original price point before it raises. Each portion of the game will now be separate and cost money for new buyers.

:arrow: SOURCE

2. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    I got the 3DS and Vita versions, so I'm good to dig.

3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    See that stuff right there is the stuff i hate. So WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE AMIIBO? IS USELESS NOW. :glare:

Darkyose likes this.
  4. BORTZ

BORTZ Neighborhood Friendly

Global Moderator
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Have it elsewhere so no need for me I guess. But good for Switch owners.

5. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    Wow, all platforms? That's pretty crazy. Can they even do that and still make money?

EDIT: Wait, I just realized they didn't mean any ownership = free Switch version. Still, that's pretty generous.

Last edited by Meteor7, Jan 11, 2017
  6. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Maybe linke with nintendo network account for discount?:ninja:

Still I'm just more confused about the AMIIBO than the game.
    • NEW AMIIBO, EXLCUSIVE 2 PLAYER MODE WITH AMIIBO ON WII U
    • Price increase from $15 (probably gonna be $25)
    • Now on nintendo switch, include 2 player mode and 4 player multiplayer modes.
    So why did we buy the amiibo? SHOVEL KNIGHT IS THE ONLY GAME IT WORKS WITH. :blink:

And the price increase... why? Cause more content is added? I thought the additional content is free with each update, now is like paying for it by costing more. Now i'm just hoping a new game comes out from these people. :glare:

Subtle Demise likes this.
  7. SilverWah

SilverWah Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 3, 2016
    Netherlands
    Yo this is so hype. Shovel Knight is one of the few Indies i've played and it's really good.
    I'm so excited to see this go down on the Switch!

Chary likes this.
  8. wiewiec

wiewiec Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2015
    Poland
    I don't know if they (Nintendo) make a superior for 3DS since all platforms for mobile gaming use an ARM architecture? Or they make new 3DS'kind with less kind of ARM CPU and say "hey what, we have got for you another gaming platform but with 2 screens and 3D screen (whatever) and free pack of cookies. Nintendo have very odd policy since they doomed the WII U.

9. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I still haven't finished the original game and I bought it almost 2 years ago or whatever. Just shows how much time I put into non-Pokemon games. I had a really hard time in the underwater pirate ship level thing. This though interests me, more to play in the future, the game's super fun.

10. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    Holy shit, shovel knight coming to the switch is a dream come true. imagine 2 player coop with the joycons!!!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

THe price increase is justified, if you already own the game you get free updates, otherwise you buy them as dlc. Remember that these people have to eat too.

PrestoX, natanelho and Chary like this.
  11. AyanamiRei0

AyanamiRei0 GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.

GBAtemp Patron
    AyanamiRei0 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 4, 2016
    In an imaginary world filled with rainbows
    Wah games cost money you don't pay for a game YOU LIKE that game company may go out of business that's how the world works

12. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Oh, so i already own the wii u game. Then never mind. ^_^

I hope the switch game get a Exclusive character like playstation or xbox. Still i don't think steam has anyone. :unsure:

Maybe link can show up and have a digging contest and you get the Master shovel, which is like a master sword that shoot beams at full health and have high attack power. :P

13. CeeDee

CeeDee the Eevee

May 4, 2014
    United States
    So, if I understand... Treasure Trove is the all-in-one bundle, upgrading from the old $15 Shovel Knight...
    ...and the campaigns are also starting to be individually sold?

And also, no more multiplayer Nintendo exclusivity, but PS4/XB1 still get their exclusives. FUCK NINTENDO AMIRITE?

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  14. VinLark

VinLark Loonix Master

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    I own this game on EVERY platform I own. Still haven't finished it after getting it at launch. Maybe i'll play it again one of these days.

15. wuboy

wuboy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 11, 2015
    United States
    To be fair the amiibo gets you double the relics that are fun to use, and you can give it custom looks. It's not too bad in my book, and makes multiple playthroughs interesting.
    Also everyone seems to be forgetting the amiibo was used in Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 as a secret boss.

16. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    Do it, it's great

17. 4gionz

4gionz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2014
    Canada
    For me shovel knight is the best indie of all time bar none. I already own it on 3ds and Xbox so need to worry from me but everyone else should pick it up asap that way they get the next 2 dlc for free.

The dlc are basically a new campaign on modified versions of the same maps, but with all new story very expansive. I would reccomend this game to literally anyone who likes platformers.

Last edited by 4gionz, Jan 11, 2017
    I pwned U! and ItsKipz like this.
  18. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    b-but muh undertale...

yeah shovel knight wins by a bit lol

19. Imacaredformy2ds

Imacaredformy2ds Smartass

Banned
    Nov 17, 2016
    Mexico
    At first glance I thought this was a sequel lmao
    Still, nice. If it's available at launch and Nintendo doesn't let me down I'll buy it
    My own money this time

20. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    The Wii U amiibo will continue to allow you to use custom knight in single or multiplayer. And it provides the amiibo singleplayer and amiibo co-op challenges.