Should People Who Only Game On Mobile Be Considered Gamers?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Dradynosagequa, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Dradynosagequa
    OP

Dradynosagequa Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2013
    Canada
    Anon
    Simple question.

There seems to be the attitude in the community that only gaming on mobile doesn't make you a real gamer. I do not think that this attitude is incorrect. Just because the platforms are best known for casual games doesn't mean that it's not a full-fledged gaming platform. Infact, due to the low bar to developement, you can often find truely innovative or "different" games, more so than on consoles. Mobile is a fast growing market and getting more and more hardcore games made for it. It also has some great emulators available for it. Android is undoubtedly one of the best emulation platforms available, second only to PC.

2. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Hey, I actually had a similar discussion on this about a month or two ago. It's here.

3. Dradynosagequa
    OP

Dradynosagequa Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2013
    Canada
    Anon
    More like 3 months ago. But it's a popular topic, why not have another go.

4. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

Time flies when you're having fun. ;)

naved.islam14, MAXLEMPIRA and Xexyz like this.
  5. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Sure they're considered gamers.

That's one of the reasons the term "casual gamer" was invented imo.
    Whether you consider casuals to be real gamers is a whole other ballgame.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't consider casual to be real gamers. Gamers game as a hobby, casual game simply to pass time or diddle around. It's a bit more complex than that, but i'm just too lazy to type everything out right now.

6. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    Given that the modern definition of 'gamer' has been defiled by the endless sea of moronic 12 year olds on CoD, you can call casual gamers whatever you want, I don't care any more. When I was a kid you were only a true gamer if you could beat the arcade machines or knew all the secrets in the latest titles and such, These days gaming has become so widespread the floodgates have opened, and like all technology it got into the hands of the drooling mongoloid demographic and instead of gaming carrying on it sold out and made games solely for said drooling mongoloids. People bitch about mobile phone games but really, is that the biggest worry gaming has these days?

7. UltraMew

UltraMew GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Flying a blue hedgehog around
    Depends on what games.

Cut the Rope? Candy Crush? Facebook?NO.
    Minecraft PE? Sonic 1/2/CD Stealth/Taxman remakes? Maybe, depends.
    Hardcore titles? Playing retro games on Emu4iOS/iEmulators (preferably ROM hacks?) Yeah.

Xexyz likes this.
  8. a9cito

a9cito Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2008
    Mexico
    Yes. if they play games.

9. UltraMew

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    So? B-)

10. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Consider them gamers? More like lamers.

But seriously, take for instance my mom, who probably spends more hours playing stuff like candy crush every day than I play games on real gaming systems. But I don't in any way consider her a gamer. I don't think she would consider herself a gamer, if the term gamer ever even crossed her mind. Just playing games doesn't make one a gamer, you have to be a bit of an enthusiast about them.

Duo8 likes this.
  11. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    Attitudes toward segments of gamers don't matter, the only factor is what sells.

12. LegendAssassinF

LegendAssassinF GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey
    Depends on the games... I really wouldn't consider companies that are in it just to make money games that are geared toward gamers. Say Candy Crush it was a game solely based on Bejeweled and made free to play with pay to unlock more levels. It is strictly a game that is geared to make money off the people that enjoy it.

13. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    Whereas Nintendo and Sony and Microsoft just do it for the love, man. Just for the love.

Guild McCommunist and Veho like this.
  14. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    So, like a basically every game made? Almost all games are made to make money.

15. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    *cough* DLC *cough* *sneeze* disc locked content *fart*

king_leo likes this.
  16. LegendAssassinF

LegendAssassinF GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 12, 2012
    United States
    Princeton, New Jersey

Candy Crush is a game where making money was the only thought process not "I think this is a great idea and should be made." That was likely the only thing that cross their mind was "What makes money? What makes people easily addicted? What game is the most popular at the time? Let's make it free and charge for levels" It wasn't "Hey this is a great idea we should make a puzzle game that changes how we think of the genre"

No.... When they made Halo they didn't think what makes money they had the idea first and someone liked that idea so then it was made not until then they saw that it could make a ton of money.

Depending on the DLC.... I don't think Burial At Sea is a DLC that was just about making money since it does impact the story and evolve it slightly. Won't spoil anything but it is a great addition that even without buying it doesn't ruin the series. DLC like Map packs is strictly just to make more money.

17. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    There is great DLC like the GTA IV ones. DLC like Street Fighter X Tekken is what I hate.

LegendAssassinF likes this.
  18. Ryukouki

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    DLC: good for commodities that will not have a negative effect on gameplay. Costumes, appearance modification, things like that. But fuck you if you make micro transactions to give players uber tier equipment.

19. ShadowFyre

ShadowFyre GBAtemp Fan

Sep 29, 2010
    United States
    San Diego
    I throw up a little whenever I see a small child with a tablet rather than a dedicated gaming console.

20. UltraMew

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    *fart* *bigger fart*

Xexyz likes this.
  21. Dradynosagequa
    OP

Dradynosagequa Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2013
    Canada
    Anon
    I don't see why. Dedicated handhelds is being to become pointless with the advent of more and more powerful tablets. It's not like handheld games tend to be hardcore and super-serious games (with some exceptions).

I don't care how well the 3DS is selling right now. Mark my words, this WILL be the least generation of handhelds.

Even right now, you can run 95% of Android games and emulators with a $150 Asus Memopad HD 7. Step up to a $230 nexus 7, and you're looking at being able to run ANY Android game flawlessly as well as PSP emulation.