Should People Who Only Game On Mobile Be Considered Gamers?

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*fart* *bigger fart*

Check your Ramble Pack for more farts.
On Topic: I would consider a gamer who uses a phone/tablet
- Rooted (for Android) or Jailbroken (for iOS)
- Use Emulators and understand ROMs
- knowledgeable about games
- doesn't play Facebook looking games (Candy Crush/Words with Friends)

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Games are a form of entertainment, just like movies, music, etc. It's like questioning whether or not someone is a music fan based on whatever genre(s) they like.

Playing video games doesn't make you part of some exclusive club. Maybe back in the 80s when it was a niche thing, but this is 2013. People can play whatever they want to, and as long as they're having fun, that's all that matters.

Reactions: finkmac

Dradynosagequa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Yes yes yes and yes. Finally someone who gets it.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Halle-freakin-lujah, finally, I'm glad someone has said those words of truth!:P

Reactions: Xexyz
D

Deleted User

No.... When they made Halo they didn't think what makes money they had the idea first and someone liked that idea so then it was made not until then they saw that it could make a ton of money.
Not at all, the idea would have gone through multiple people, video games are a business. The idea would have been presented and refined before they decide if it would profit or not. It's not like one guy walks in and tells a high market company "yo I've got a swaggy idea lets make it", that would have been a disaster.

Reactions: the_randomizer

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about someone who does all this and STILL play Facebook looking games? :lol:

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
With regards to Facebook games, to me they come in two flavours. Those that have an established objective, and the pointless time holes. I can appreciate games with at least some sense of direction, like there's a D+D game on FB a former friend of mine was hooked on, it actually has an ending, something to work towards, so fair enough. But games like the Pawn Stars game where the only reward is getting more in game money to buy things that will get you more in game money with no ultimate goal aside from the brutal murder of time that could have been spent better by doing literally anything else, I can't in all good conscience call them games, or their players 'gamers'. Even games like Minecraft have at least SOME form of ultimate goal, be it killing the dragon or just building a nice house to be creative, and that at least encourages thought and artistic flair. The Facebook games where you 'command armies' by clicking text boxes and crap that never go anywhere or do anything besmirch the name of gaming almost as bad as disc-locked content and the CoD Droolies.

YamiZee

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I still wish there were more serious games for mobiles. I'm sick of all these dumb non-creative puzzlers, and other repetitive games. Mobiles dont need to be hooked up in order to be used. Hand-held consoles are great, but "one does all" systems would really be great, and that includes a phone, but it still needs to be compact like a phone. Mobiles have great potential, just not enough developers are taking advantage of it, and even for those who are, the common appstores aren't good at promoting "real" games.

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Not at all, the idea (Usually one person) would have gone through multiple people (idea expended and made), video games are a business. The idea would have been presented and refined before (then profits) they decide if it would profit or not.

That's basically what happened.... Idea -> Expanded -> Profit.... It wasn't Profit -> Idea.

Candy Crush is clearly not thought that was since it is a rip off of Bejeweled. The same thing with DLC that just adds maps/weapons/skins it provides zero effort and just thought of to make money.

UltraMew

GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
- Rooted (for Android) or Jailbroken (for iOS) Not quite, nut sure about evasi0n7
- Use Emulators and understand ROMs Yep. NO DURR WHY WOULD I BE HERE?
- knowledgeable about games Then why would I be here?
- doesn't play Facebook looking games (Candy Crush/Words with Friends) Rarely do
Answers up there. These are some of my fave games. Also, MD is a Genesis emulator, and I don't have the Taxmen/Stealth remake of Sonic 2 yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 185

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No, they are mostly sheep because they let companies nickle and dime them with no complaints and accept shit over quality, I can think of only a few mobile titles that aren't shit and/or made to just to grab your cash.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay...two things:

1. a gamer is someone who likes to play games. (yes: a definition can be as simple as that)
2. the platform doesn't matter. In fact, it doesn't even have to be in electronic form (board games are games as well).

I would think that the unclear thing is about what contributes to actually being a game (that's not as easy...try Dear Esther...or the Stanley parable...or loneliness for that matter), but that doesn't seem to be the case.

In fact, I really don't understand phrases like "if you play a game like <insert game>, then you're not a gamer" (Xexyz and UltraMew: I'm mostly looking at you here). The fact that it acknowledges the game in question to be a game kinda breaks down the whole point. Are you sure you guys aren't talking about hardcore gamers? (in contrast to the casual gamers who play GAMES like candy crush). If not, I really want to hear your definition on what you think a gamer really means. :)

Reactions: Ryukouki

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, you guys really should look into Puzzle and Dragons. That game is fucking deep, and it will never feel like you're going to hit a pay wall because they have events running all the time so you have plenty of chances to get the freemium currency in the game.

What genuinely annoys me the most is that I just do not have the time to play games as much as I want to, yet I am constantly being labelled as a filthy casual or just not a gamer period. If I wanted to pick up a small casual mobile game and enjoy it to the fullest extent, that doesn't make me a gamer, simply because I lack a $4K PC or a gaming console?

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Damn, you guys really should look into Puzzle and Dragons. That game is fucking deep, and it will never feel like you're going to hit a pay wall because they have events running all the time so you have plenty of chances to get the freemium currency in the game.

What genuinely annoys me the most is that I just do not have the time to play games as much as I want to, yet I am constantly being labelled as a filthy casual or just not a gamer period. If I wanted to pick up a small casual mobile game and enjoy it to the fullest extent, that doesn't make me a gamer, simply because I lack a $4K PC or a gaming console?

I understand the reason behind that strategy is because of the controversies surrounding both kompu-gacha and children spending hundreds and thousands on the games. It's a rare case for this reason and it also got a sequel for the 3DS. A game I'm getting off the PSN Christmas Day also falls in a similar category.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand the reason behind that strategy is because of the controversies surrounding both kompu-gacha and children spending hundreds and thousands on the games. It's a rare case for this reason and it also got a sequel for the 3DS. A game I'm getting off the PSN Christmas Day also falls in a similar category.

I see. Games that have gacha elements are always fun to mess with, haha.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries