Should Nintendo continue with the Opera Web Browser?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Hakoda, Apr 11, 2010.

?

Should Nintendo continue with the Opera Web Browser?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Hakoda
    OP

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Would you want to see Nintendo continue with the Opera web browser? Perhaps its time for a new partner? or maybe we just want the good side of Opera? (is there one....?) I don't mean we shouldn't have a web browser at all, just do you think we need a new one?

Discuss.

2. Kinqdra

Member Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Croatia
    I just think they should improve it [​IMG]

3. huruvida

Newcomer huruvida Member

Sweden
    we don't have another browser to compare with... [​IMG]

4. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    Opera is pretty much the definitive mobile experience these days (see: Opera Mini). I don't have any problem with Nintendo continuing the relationship, it's a great browser. What some major sites need to do is to stop EXCLUDING Opera on purpose, based on ancient versions and incompatibilities. In Opera on the desktop, a quick 'mask as Internet Explorer' on a 'problem' site shows that pretty much everything renders just fine in it.

If Nintendo didn't want to continue with Opera for some reason, I'd love to see a mobile Chrome. I've yet to find any site incompatibilities with it, and its Javascript engine is simply blazing fast.

5. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    I never had a problem with Opera. It gets the job done fine, really. The Nintendo versions have always been just good enough for some quick browsing when it's convenient, which is what they're really meant for.

6. DJ91990

Member DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

United States
    I think Nintendo should get another web browser platform that can support Youtube and Flash like Google Chrome.
    Why Nintendo chose opera in the first place is beyond me as Opera's Internet Browser is the slowest internet web browser on the charts.
    1 = Google Chrome
    2 = Mozilla Firefox
    3 = Safiri
    4 = Internet Explorer
    X = Opera Browser

Also Google Chrome is currently deemed "un-hackable" and continued use of Opera Browser may leave security holes in the systems to become hacked or bricked.

Now most tempers out there might want Nintendo to leave holes in a console's security so that "homebrew" can be run but let's face it, most tempers (including myself) just want to be able to hack a system so we can load commercial ROMs on the system.

This DOES hurt game developers and publishers because of lost revenue and sales.

This causes the end consumer to deal with bullshit like "needing a voucher to play online"(-Sony PSP) or "constant internet connection to be maintained to play the game in general" -(EA Games for PC)

This is why I think Nintendo should drop the Opera Browser and use Google Chrome.

7. gameguy95

Banned gameguy95 Needs More Furries!

United States
    i would like to know why the hell you pull this shit out of you ass because i have tried all of those internet browsers and the real order is more like this:
    1)google chrome
    2)safari
    3)opera browser
    4)mozilla firefox
    x)internet explorer

8. Hakoda
    OP

United States
    Dude if Apple can't even get flash on the iPhone or iPad for that matter, Nintendo won't be able to do it. What's more possible, is the use of HTML5 which is already incorporated in Youtube and a lot of other places. Personally, I agree Opera is okay but they're the only web developer's that have experience with mobile web browsing next to IE and IE sucks really bad. Well I guess there's Google but they'd have to port over Chrome for DS and that wouldn't be much of a challenge since their developers have experience with the mobile Android OS.

EDIT: I haven't actually tried the current Opera and I've only tried previous versions. Let me try the new one and something tells me I'll be proved wrong.

9. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    How you got that Opera was slowest i have no idea. It kills IE and from what little i've tested, Safari. Opera is a good browser.

10. GentleFist

GentleFist Newbie

I don't understand how you can say IE sucks...

IE is the basic browser shipped with Windows and it does everything you need. And I've never had any problems with it.
    I liked the Startscreen and integrated torrent thingy from opera so im using it even though opera is far from perfect.

And in mobile terms opera has like monopol status noone can compare to opera, well maybe those android guys but i doubt theyll make a browser for the nds...

11. bollocks

Member bollocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    It's not that Apple can't, it's that they won't. If the 3DS is powerful enough (which it should be) Nintendo could easily pull it off.

12. Dead End

Member Dead End GBAtemp Fan

United States
    They should just Make their own Browser
    TOns of people make DS Browsers(homebrew and Game maker 8 Browsers (Plus Real Coding)

Currently Working on Browser Idea

13. diando

Member diando GBATemp™ Creepy Arceus™

Canada
    Nintendo just needs to boost connection speed for the 3DS.

14. Hakoda
    OP

United States
    Okay I take back what i said on Opera being slow and anyone else who says so is just straight up crazy. This is blazing fast. I'm using it now and I love it, the scroll is so smooth.... Anyway, back on topic. I think they can really improve Opera DS and its already been said that the WiFi will be improved so we can speculate on that.

15. iYoshi-

Member iYoshi- GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    ive always used opera, and its the fastest for me.

16. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    This.

Also, who knows - maybe Opera for DS will have HTML5 video support, but I HIGHLY doubt it. Besides, if you want to watch videos, go on your computer. Videos would look like crap on such a small screen anyways, and the DS (any, really) doesn't have the balls for it IMO.

17. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    Well...
    Maybe get them to better utilize the low specs of the DS...

And then it'll be good.
    if you want to browse through the internet, then just get a Netbook.
    They are small, portable, light and more versatile then then the DS.
    You can even download games, copy it to your SD Card, then insert it to your DS [​IMG]

18. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Yes if they make it run as fast/well as the psp browser

19. rurudtsafg

Newcomer rurudtsafg Member

United States
    PSP is slower than the DSi man, i should know i gots both.

20. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines