Should I wait for Wii homebrew solutions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by wiithepeople, Jan 18, 2008.

Jan 18, 2008
  1. wiithepeople
    OP

Member wiithepeople ^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D

United States
    I'm torn between the possibilities of great homebrew on the Wii and getting all those games. I really want to get the Wlip+probably Wiinja Deluxe because I don't have a programmer for open-source chips and don't want to solder at all. It seems like I have to choose between getting homebrew and games. Or would it be possible to have a modded wii with the wlip+wiinja Deluxe AND have some other means to run homebrew, at the same time? Or should I wait for a solution for both? Thanks.

2. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    We don't really know yet how homebrew will run on the Wii. No more news has been released since that hacker video.
    The current modchips are just drive chips, they only make the wii think it's an original disc. Running actual homebrew still requires an extra step.

3. wiithepeople
    OP

United States
    Yeah, my question is should I stick with the drive chips or wait for something better?

4. InfernoZeus

Member InfernoZeus GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'm in exactly the same boat as you wii_will_rule. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, especially as the Wlip is 35E :S

5. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's my (limited) undestanding that running homebrew would only require a drivechip. That includes making our own Wii channels. However, real homebrew is estimated to be about 1 year away.

As of yesterday, we are able to decrypt Wii games and modify them as we please. For example, we can decrypt Manhunt 2 and remove the blur in order to make it closer to the uncensored version. Or we could put a Mario skin on the main character. The problem is, we can not yet re-encrypt it. Nor can we digitally sign the DVD.

Those are the two major problems we have to overcome, re-encryption and signing. Unfortunately, only two organizations in the world can do this: Nintendo and the hacker group seen at 24C3. Neither will reveal their secret.

6. wiithepeople
    OP

United States
    ^^I guess you're saying I should get the modchip then.. I mean, I don't want to wait one whole year for homebrew :X

7. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Considering that you should be able to run homebrew with a drivechip, yes. Get it now.

8. wiithepeople
    OP

United States
    all right, thanks. [​IMG] I'll wait for some reviews to come out on the Wlip.