Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have XP on my computer. I already have a real Windows 7 disk that came with the computer but I decided to install XP instead for some reason. I was wondering will Windows 7 make my computer any slower and I should keep XP? I heard that new web browsers have hardware acceleration which only work with Windows 7, so I was wondering if I update will websites load up faster? Will flash work better? Will I be able to watch 720p YouTube videos on my computer without them buffering forever? Should I do the dam update?

My computer specs are these:
4GB of RAM, but on XP it says 2.7 for some reason.
3.06GHz Dual-Core Processor E6600
Integrated Intel Graphics card.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Websites will not load faster, that's due to network speed (not rendering speed).
Youtube videos will not load faster, that's due to network speed (not rendering speed).
Flash will not work better, it's rendering can already be done on XP.

You should update to windows 7 because it's got more security features.

EDIT: Though you should know you can't update from XP-7, you need to do a clean install, which wipes everything.

pikachu945

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
[/quote]

hmm is your XP 32bit?? or the Integrated Graphics is eating your ram lol

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Websites will not load faster, that's due to network speed (not rendering speed).
Youtube videos will not load faster, that's due to network speed (not rendering speed).
Flash will not work better, it's rendering can already be done on XP.

yh i thought the same, but i had a really old PC (windows Me i think) before this vista one, and as soon as i got it i noticed an immediate change in internet speed, games loaded a lot faster and youtube could actually load a 5 min clip in less than 7 minutes.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
QUOTEhmm is your XP 32bit?? or the Integrated Graphics is eating your ram lol
My XP is 32bit. The Windows 7 disks are 64bit.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Jakob95 said:
Oh that sucks. What do you mean for security features? Will there be a new cool features in Windows 7 that XP doesn't have?Windows 7 has built-in features to automatically stop more types of hacking and viruses.

Yes, 7 has a bunch of stuff XP doesn't have. XP is over 9 years old for crying out loud.

QUOTE(pikachu945 @ Dec 24 2010, 11:14 AM) hmm is your XP 32bit?? or the Integrated Graphics is eating your ram lol
This. For technical reasons 32-bit OSes can't recognize a full 4GB of RAM (depending on certain factors it may show as 3.5GB or less), and integrated graphics take video RAM from system RAM (since it's not an actual graphics card so it doesn't have all that RAM of it's own). upgrading to 7 would free up more RAM, but maybe not the full 4 gigs.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sounds like a laptop you're using, I'd advise upgrading to Win 7.
It's full of improvements over Vista/XP, better connection to wifi hotspots for one, better power management for another.
You can optimise the OS by disabling services and processes you don't need, and perform all sorts of tweaks.
With your current hardware I think you can run Win 7 comfortably, better than Vista would handle.

pikachu945

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you are a heavy gamer get rid of the Integrated Graphics and buy a Dedicated Graphics Card to get the full 4gb of ram

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
OP
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't play games on my computer.

And its actually a desktop
blink.gif

iSneeze

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Definitely upgrade. Windows 7 is wayy more secure and has alot of neat features. And yes there's a chance (but not a guarantee) that your youtube videos will load faster since overall internet speeds depends on your available bandwidth and the performance of your computer. And the same applies to website loading speed. As for flash, I can't tell really. But seriously upgrade to windows seven, install TuneUp Utilities and a reasonable antivirus (Avira for example which is free), and you'll NEVER have to worry about your computer's performance decreasing over time.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Jakob95 said:
And its actually a desktop
blink.gif
Oh, I must be thinking of another thread then. If you buy an install a cheap graphics card (you can find one for $30 or so online) it'll free up the RAM your onboard is using... but it won't make much of a difference so you might not want to bother.

Also, iSneeze, while a computer being slow in general will slow down the visual rendering of web pages, data streaming is network-dependant, so youtube stuff and downloads would not go faster (unless there's some unmentioned problem in his current OS).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol our trash can decided to go flying and flipped on its side