Hacking Should I just buy a new flashcard?

gettogaara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so like those of you who read and responded to my Getting a 3DS XL For My Bday thread know, I've got an Acekard 2i. I tried to update it so that it would run on my 3DS but it didn't work for some reason. Apparently another ds is needed to update it which I won't have acess to for at least a month. I hear that some sites sell their flashcards with the most updated patches though so I wouldn't need one in that case. The fact that the Acekard hasn't been hacked to work past 4.4 also bothers me. So like the title says, is the best move here to just buy a new flashcard and if so, where can I get one that's updated for a fair price?

The two I have my eyes on at the moment are the R4i Gold 3DS and the Supercard two which seems to be double the price. I'm open to other suggestions though. Thanks.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your 3DS is on 4.4.0-10 or you plan on keeping your 3DS up-to-date as new 3DS games come out, then yes, you should get a new flashcart because it is unlikely the Acekard will ever be updated to work on 4.4.0-10 or higher.

The R4i Gold 3DS (r4ids.cn) and Supercard DSTWO are, in my opinion, your two best options.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I dont see a bright future for any flashcard on 3DS. I have a DSTwo, and it is a great deal, but I dont know what will happen on oncoming updates. The safe way is to get a DS Lite. You can find used ones for around $ 55 I think.

gettogaara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah my system is Ver. 4.1.0-8U and yet the Acekard 2i still won't work on it. I was considering getting another DS but I don't really want to because I sold the other ones I had a while back so it would feel sort of like a waste of money.

So out of the the R4i Gold 3DS and Supercard DSTWO which one's better?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your 3DS is on 4.1.0-8 and you have no plans to update to 4.4.0-10 or higher, then you could just borrow another DS that your Acekard works on and upgrade your Acekard to work with your 3DS.

If you do plan on updating your 3DS or you don't have the ability to borrow another DS, then you might as well buy an R4i Gold 3DS or a Supercard DSTWO. It doesn't really matter which one since they both receive regular updates. The DSTWO has more features, but I would just get the R4i Gold 3DS since its less money and the DSTWO doesn't have any additional features I need.

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the only thing you plan on doing is playing roms or homebrew, the R4i Gold is the better deal. However, if you're interested in SNES/GBA emulation and other cool features, then the DSTWO is better.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The DSTwo has much more than just GBA/SNES emulation, it has realtime save/load (save state stuff), realtime RAM search and cheat changing, text-vewer while a game is running, slow-motion, and more.

The DSTwo also has advantages over all the other active flash carts in that it has a secondary update ability that can sometimes update even if the DSi/3DS was updated first.

gettogaara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, decided on going for the R4i Gold 3DS. Although playing GBA/SNES games on the DSTWO is cool, I don't see myself doing it often. The most useful feature is probably the fact that it can update after a 3DS but so long as the R4i Gold 3DS I order comes already preupdated, there shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for all the info guys. Can someone link me to a good site that sells it for a fair price?

gettogaara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

gettogaara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never update your 3DS before you know the cart's been updated.
Cool. Last question, I promise lol. This may be a dumb one but I don't want to leave anything to chance here. You don't need to pick an sd card in order for it to come updated right? Just thinking since that's where the updates are usually stored.

Latiken

GBATemp's Epic Fusion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, since they will most likely update it you don't need the sd card because once the update is run it is on the card itself.
Not a good explanation but no, you don't need to buy an sd card.

Reactions: gettogaara

gettogaara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, since they will most likely update it you don't need the sd card because once the update is run it is on the card itself.
Not a good explanation but no, you don't need to buy an sd card.
Good enough for me, thank man. Just wanted to make sure since I've got a 8gb card already. Alright going to order it now, thanks everybody.

grim22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just think is should be noted that the original email they sent me cited shipping taking anywhere from 5-35 days. I don't know If it's because of the holiday season or what, but I'm on day 28 and no card so far. Prepare to be patient! Elsewise, it seems realhotstuff may be the better option as far as shipping goes.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DSTwo has much more than just GBA/SNES emulation, it has realtime save/load (save state stuff), realtime RAM search and cheat changing, text-vewer while a game is running, slow-motion, and more.

The DSTwo also has advantages over all the other active flash carts in that it has a secondary update ability that can sometimes update even if the DSi/3DS was updated first.
So... Its like the cyclo Evolution except its compatible with 3ds.

gettogaara

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just think is should be noted that the original email they sent me cited shipping taking anywhere from 5-35 days. I don't know If it's because of the holiday season or what, but I'm on day 28 and no card so far. Prepare to be patient! Elsewise, it seems realhotstuff may be the better option as far as shipping goes.
Yeah that's actually where I ended up getting it from. It came literally like 3 days after I ordered it, firmware most current and cheats for every game available. Good stuff.

isthar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just jumping in -- I have a dslite and a acekard 2i, and now I just said screw it, I got a r4i 3ds gold - skipped the dstwo, no fan of the "it uses your battery" thing and I don't care for the extras it has... ordered from RHS got it real fast (east coast)

Justintimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Big problem with nds-card.com is the poor customer service.
I have to email multiple times, and typically get no replies.
When ordering, while their site states the order ships in one day, it does not, and they may actually ship a week or two later. making excuses all the way.
also
http://www.zhuzhuchina.com/
seems considerably cheaper. Any one have experience with them?

ALSO...
they seem to have many versions of the R4i card, and it makes it confusing on what to order.
is type / version D better than A through C?
Is there an F or later?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1