Gaming Should I get Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or Bayonetta 2?

Which of the two?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Justeego

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's an RPG, it's just not turn-based. Most action fantasy games could technically be classified as a Role Playing Game
Zelda Breath of the Wild IS NOT AN RPG

An RPG is a game where the player is powerful because of the character's stats and not the character is powerful because of the player's skill, in Zelda even if you have little RPG elements (like weapon values, defense, HP, stamina, bonus...) the ability of the player is most important thing. Even if you have the most powerful armor and bonuses but you can't parry you die, a good player can play with a Pot Lid and destroy guardians easily

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
An RPG is a game where the player is...
...playing the role of his character while all those stats & level-ups are optional. Genres of titles in nowadays are too interlaced, BotW can easily be treated as Action Adventure or Action RPG & some other genres too.

Last edited by oji,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Xenoblade 2 for sure, if you have the possibility later. Pick up Bayonetta 2 as well, it's freaking good!

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
...playing the role of his character while all those stats & level-ups are optional. Genres of titles in nowadays are too interlaced, BotW can easily be treated as Action Adventure or Action RPG & some other genres too.
for me an RPG is when your character has level up and stats.

if you only get more health and more powerful armor/weapons then it isnt an rpg, if your character has stats then its an rpg imo.

if zelda is an rpg then doom is much more rpg than zelda lol you level up health,shield and all weapons have alternate secondire funcions and can be upgraded too, and no one calls doom an rpg.

Justeego

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
BOTH.

isn't obvious??

for me an RPG is when your character has level up and stats.

if you only get more health and more powerful armor/weapons then it isnt an rpg, if your character has stats then its an rpg imo.

if zelda is an rpg then doom is much more rpg than zelda lol you level up health,shield and all weapons have alternate secondire funcions and can be upgraded too, and no one calls doom an rpg.
NO NO AND NO, you are just watering down the definition of RPG because of your wrong beliefs, this is just WRONG and FALSE, stop it

what I said isn't MINE definition or RPG, it's THE DEFINITION of RPG, these type of games were born with games like D&D, where the dice decides what you can and can't do, and how you do or do not it, the "skill" of the player just involves rolling the dice, it's the character that acts according to this.

You can't win Pokémon's League if your team is lvl 10, but you can beat down a boss in BotW just using parry and dodge, it's risky and you need a lot of patience, but can be done, beating Pokémon CAN'T be done with team lvl 10. The same for Monster Hunter, you can speedrun it if you learn monster patterns and you are good, games like this involves heavy RPG ELEMENTS (it's almost impossible to win MH not upgrading this is why it's called Action-RPG) but ARE NOT RPGs (seriously stop it) since just upgrading you character don't guarantee that you can win if you don't have the proper hand ability.

Last edited by Justeego,
Reactions: Captain_N

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
NO NO AND NO, you are just watering down the definition of RPG because of your wrong beliefs, this is just WRONG and FALSE, stop it

what I said isn't MINE definition or RPG, it's THE DEFINITION of RPG, these type of games were born with games like D&D, where the dice decides what you can and can't do, and how you do or do not it, the "skill" of the player just involves rolling the dice, it's the character that acts according to this.

You can't win Pokémon's League if your team is lvl 10, but you can beat down a boss in BotW just using parry and dodge, it's risky and you need a lot of patience, but can be done, beating Pokémon CAN'T be done with team lvl 10. The same for Monster Hunter, you can speedrun it if you learn monster patterns and you are good, games like this involves heavy RPG ELEMENTS (it's almost impossible to win MH not upgrading this is why it's called Action-RPG) but ARE NOT RPGs (seriously stop it) since just upgrading you character don't guarantee that you can win if you don't have the proper hand ability.
im not watering down what you said, like i said if character has levels its an rpg.

also you cant beat pokemon league with lvl 10 pokemons straight away becuase you cant enter it lol beating the gyms and such is mandatory and yes you could beat the pokemon league with a lvl 1 ratata and the right moves and items xD, it even beats lvl 100 ones, heck you can beat any trainer if you got right items and enough revives lol. so yeah you can beat every pokemon league with even lvl 1 pokemons.

Last edited by pedro702,

oji

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
it's almost impossible to win MH not upgrading this is why it's called Action-RPG
So a tougher difficulty of beating high-rank monsters by basic equipments is what making MH Action-RPG? Is BotW's hard mode an Action-RPG too? It's almost impossible for me to win it without upgrading an armor & getting powerful weapons.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The real question is do you have a wii U? If so then get xenoblade 2. its only on switch and you can get bayoneta on wii u for cheaper then the switch version....

And for the last time Zelda is not a RPG Its an action adventure. Does zelda play like Final fantasy 6, Dragonquest 7, Tales of Symphonia? Thats because its not an RPG. Monster Hunter is not an RPG either. Leveling in Monster hunter does not make you stronger and the game is 100% based on quests. There is no free roam mode.
The dude that compared an RPG to dungeon and dragons is spot on. JRPGs or "Real RPGs" as i like to call them, are just like D&D Its just that the cpu is rolling the dice. You also have Action RPGs like Secret of mana. PC games like Dungeon siege, and Titan Quest are Action RPGS. Your would not call Gauntlet legends an RPG would you? If you go back in the NES and SNES days before all the noobs starting calling fake rpgs, rpgs you will see what the meaning of an RPG is. I have a old Nintendo poster that had pictures of games in their categories. and guess where zelda 1 and 2 is listed, Adventure.

Last edited by Captain_N,
Reactions: Justeego

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I must ask some institution for a Doctor Honoris Causa in the art of dropping an oil tanker into the fire and vanishing away.

PS: And yes, though in the 90s this was also a hot topic, I don't give a fuck about conventions, I consider Action Adventure and Action RPG almost synonyms by the way gameplay is implemented nowadays; and if you don't like the "RPG" part, then just get rid of it and call all those games "Action story-driven shit with plenty exploration and some equipment and powerups", yeah, that would be a better fitting genre names for things like Zelda, Secret of Mana, Xenoblade, NieR Automata, Final Fantasy XV.

Anyway, the original idea from an RPG, a D&D RPG, where the DUNGEON MASTER decides what you can do, based a little on your dice roll, and a lot on your role playing and characterization, how do you intend to do that, and how does that line up with your character personality, well that is non-existent in e.g. your average Final Fantasy.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Justeego

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
im not watering down what you said, like i said if character has levels its an rpg.

also you cant beat pokemon league with lvl 10 pokemons straight away becuase you cant enter it lol beating the gyms and such is mandatory and yes you could beat the pokemon league with a lvl 1 ratata and the right moves and items xD, it even beats lvl 100 ones, heck you can beat any trainer if you got right items and enough revives lol. so yeah you can beat every pokemon league with even lvl 1 pokemons.
You can enter Pokémon League with lvl 10 pokémon, you just need to capture them just before entering, try it, you can't do much with revive since 999 is the limit and you get one shot every time, you MUST level up your squad, the characters must be strong, you can't do much even knowing weakness table, don't troll again just to say random things.
I still don't get what is that boundary which is preventing from adding a RPG sub-genre to BotW? Is it latest 80's poster? Or is it free roam mode? What exactly makes Monster Hunter an Action RPG & Breath of the Wild an Action Adventure?
The main point of the discussion is that the MAIN genre of these game is Action, adding RPG comes second.
My speculation: Monster Hunter is based heavily on upgrading your weapon and armor, your progression is the main reason why you grind monsters, so upgrading is tied to progression even if it's not necessary and not required. BotW is a very free game, you can play in so many different ways that the RPG element is not relevant at all, and this is why it's the best open world right now, even the story isn't the main reason why you play the game, just exploring the world is the reason you play

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy