Hacking Should I get a wiikey?

kingmathyou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking to buy a wii mod chip. Is the wiikey the best one as of now? I have a NSTC system. Will I be able to play both NSTC and PAL isos with the wiikey? Thanks for the help.

kingmathyou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How's the sodering for it? I can do basic sodering, but I don't want to risk it if it's a big task.
And what do you mean when you say "yes be carefull because u can brick your wii by doing a system update to pal when ur on NSTC"
How do you update the chip? Do I just download an update and then burn it onto a dvd or something, or what? Thanks guys, i'm trying to get myself into this and you guys are helping me get my feet planted for it.

ugotpwned5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How's the sodering for it? I can do basic sodering, but I don't want to risk it if it's a big task.
And what do you mean when you say "yes be carefull because u can brick your wii by doing a system update to pal when ur on NSTC"
How do you update the chip? Do I just download an update and then burn it onto a dvd or something, or what? Thanks guys, i'm trying to get myself into this and you guys are helping me get my feet planted for it.
for example- i am playing on a wii from USA (NTSC) and i wanna play game from Europe (PAL) If the game lets say Super Paper Mario contains a firmwire upgrade it will brick the wii console because you just installed PAL content On a NTSC WII. Its okay as long as you keep your wii with the latest firmwire by updating by wifi.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ugotpwned what you are saying isn't quite correct.

AFAIK the only game out now with an update that has the potential to brick a system is the NTSC copy of Super Paper Mario. Even then if your PAL Wii is fully updated before you play Super Paper Mario then nothing goes wrong. There are no games AFAIK from the PAL region that have an update that can affect your NTSC (U) system.

ugotpwned5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for fixing the confusion
biggrin.gif

kingmathyou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I get it. So we just need to keep the actual nintendo wii system firmware up to date. That's no problem at all. I was thinking there was some type of firmware for the modchip or something and got a little confused.

If the Wii mod chip works with the latest versions of the system firmware, wouldn't it be smart for nintendo to eventually release a firmware that prevents usage of the modchip?

EvoTroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've been hearing, the chip modifies the drive, not the firmware... so that would make it harder for Nintendo to create a software update on a hardware mod. Also, the chip is supposed to be "stealth" and undetectable.

Farami9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would not buy a mod atm..... TOO EARLY GUYS

Just be prepared that newer games + online play may not work on your system.

I WOULD WAIT, I mean how many people still use a first generation Xbox/PS2 mod? VERY LITTLE (IF ANY)...

dirtycarrot

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
why wait? it's still cheaper to install a chip than buy a game, regardless of the chip generation.
wiikey has better developer support than cyclowiz, so far.
I have a wiikey and I would recommend it to anyone.

Farami9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well ummm dirtycarrot you mean you are going to use your chip for piracy....... hmmm
laugh.gif

Well I would wait chips frequently update either by new models or new teams...

kingmathyou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I WOULD WAIT, I mean how many people still use a first generation Xbox/PS2 mod? VERY LITTLE (IF ANY)...

Okay if that were true and the wiikey doesn't work with future games/online.. would it be possible to remove the wiikey and upgrade to a new chip that supports those features when that time comes? So what I am asking is can I install the wiikey, and then whenever I feel like it remove the chip without damaging the system?

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Of course you can. At least if you use cables to install the Wiikey. Cutting (or even soldering off) a cable is no problem, whereas removing the chip soldered directly onto the board with them quicksolder pads is a pain in the ass, because you'll have to heat all pads at the same time. So, you don't want to do that. Using cables you shouldn't have a problem getting rid of the chip again and implanting the next generation.

Okay if that were true and the wiikey doesn't work with future games/online.. would it be possible to remove the wiikey and upgrade to a new chip that supports those features when that time comes? So what I am asking is can I install the wiikey, and then whenever I feel like it remove the chip without damaging the system?

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

The great thing about the xbox if your using an old mod and don't have a 1.6 or above xbox. You could use a bios loader to load the latest bios onto the xbox. Unless you were using a new chip or a newer softmod you couldn't use xbox live, unless you could disable the mod.

kingmathyou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright you guys have been a great deal of help.
Just a few more things I want to clarify:

1. What's the difference between quicksolder and just typical soldering? Why is quicksoldering so much worst and harder to replace?

2. If I have a NSTC wii, the wiikey will allow the wii to be region free. Meaning I will be able to have backups and play of both PAL and NSTC games?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay