Should I get a wiikey?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kingmathyou, Apr 22, 2007.

Apr 22, 2007

Should I get a wiikey? by kingmathyou at 10:43 PM (2,374 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. kingmathyou
    OP

Newcomer kingmathyou Member

United States
    I am looking to buy a wii mod chip. Is the wiikey the best one as of now? I have a NSTC system. Will I be able to play both NSTC and PAL isos with the wiikey? Thanks for the help.

2. ugotpwned5

Newcomer ugotpwned5 Member

United States
    yes be carefull because u can brick your wii by doing a system update to pal when ur on NSTC

3. jtroye32

Member jtroye32 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    yes, get one.

4. aj421

Member aj421 GBAtemp Regular

Puerto Rico
    Yes order one right this second you won't regret it.

5. Skull Kid

Newcomer Skull Kid Member

United States
    Are the WiiKey and Cyclowiz nearly identical? I'm also looking to buy a modchip but I am not sure which to get.

6. kingmathyou
    OP

United States
    How's the sodering for it? I can do basic sodering, but I don't want to risk it if it's a big task.
    And what do you mean when you say "yes be carefull because u can brick your wii by doing a system update to pal when ur on NSTC"
    How do you update the chip? Do I just download an update and then burn it onto a dvd or something, or what? Thanks guys, i'm trying to get myself into this and you guys are helping me get my feet planted for it.

7. ugotpwned5

United States
    for example- i am playing on a wii from USA (NTSC) and i wanna play game from Europe (PAL) If the game lets say Super Paper Mario contains a firmwire upgrade it will brick the wii console because you just installed PAL content On a NTSC WII. Its okay as long as you keep your wii with the latest firmwire by updating by wifi.

8. DarkElf101

Newcomer DarkElf101 Member

United States
    so we can play PAL wii games but PAL GC ones arn't working?

9. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    ugotpwned what you are saying isn't quite correct.

AFAIK the only game out now with an update that has the potential to brick a system is the NTSC copy of Super Paper Mario. Even then if your PAL Wii is fully updated before you play Super Paper Mario then nothing goes wrong. There are no games AFAIK from the PAL region that have an update that can affect your NTSC (U) system.

10. ugotpwned5

United States
    thanks for fixing the confusion [​IMG]

11. Skull Kid

Newcomer Skull Kid Member

United States
    Bump

12. kingmathyou
    OP

United States
    Oh I get it. So we just need to keep the actual nintendo wii system firmware up to date. That's no problem at all. I was thinking there was some type of firmware for the modchip or something and got a little confused.

If the Wii mod chip works with the latest versions of the system firmware, wouldn't it be smart for nintendo to eventually release a firmware that prevents usage of the modchip?

13. EvoTroy

Newcomer EvoTroy Member

United States
    From what I've been hearing, the chip modifies the drive, not the firmware... so that would make it harder for Nintendo to create a software update on a hardware mod. Also, the chip is supposed to be "stealth" and undetectable.

14. Farami9

Member Farami9 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would not buy a mod atm..... TOO EARLY GUYS

Just be prepared that newer games + online play may not work on your system.

I WOULD WAIT, I mean how many people still use a first generation Xbox/PS2 mod? VERY LITTLE (IF ANY)...

15. dirtycarrot

Newcomer dirtycarrot Advanced Member

Australia
    why wait? it's still cheaper to install a chip than buy a game, regardless of the chip generation.
    wiikey has better developer support than cyclowiz, so far.
    I have a wiikey and I would recommend it to anyone.

16. Farami9

Member Farami9 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well ummm dirtycarrot you mean you are going to use your chip for piracy....... hmmm [​IMG]

Well I would wait chips frequently update either by new models or new teams...

17. kingmathyou
    OP

United States
    Okay if that were true and the wiikey doesn't work with future games/online.. would it be possible to remove the wiikey and upgrade to a new chip that supports those features when that time comes? So what I am asking is can I install the wiikey, and then whenever I feel like it remove the chip without damaging the system?

18. bliss-chris

Newcomer bliss-chris Member

Germany
    Of course you can. At least if you use cables to install the Wiikey. Cutting (or even soldering off) a cable is no problem, whereas removing the chip soldered directly onto the board with them quicksolder pads is a pain in the ass, because you'll have to heat all pads at the same time. So, you don't want to do that. Using cables you shouldn't have a problem getting rid of the chip again and implanting the next generation.

19. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    The great thing about the xbox if your using an old mod and don't have a 1.6 or above xbox. You could use a bios loader to load the latest bios onto the xbox. Unless you were using a new chip or a newer softmod you couldn't use xbox live, unless you could disable the mod.

20. kingmathyou
    OP

United States
    Alright you guys have been a great deal of help.
    Just a few more things I want to clarify:

1. What's the difference between quicksolder and just typical soldering? Why is quicksoldering so much worst and harder to replace?

2. If I have a NSTC wii, the wiikey will allow the wii to be region free. Meaning I will be able to have backups and play of both PAL and NSTC games?