Should i downgrade fom windows 10?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
If you decide not to downgrade then the first thing you should do is download and run shutup10 to turn off all the spying crap. Note that you will need to run shutup10 after every update because some of them will reset your privacy settings.

There is also software that can stop automatic updates (which will also replace/update any drivers with the ones Microsoft thinks you should have, even if it will make your computer unbootable) which is probably a good idea, I believe it does so by emulating a WSUS server. I am pretty sure that is the only way to disable automatic updates without disabling the ability to update entirely.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The short version is that Windows 10 overall will offer you [as a consumer] far more stability, as Microsoft have now moved to a rolling release model.

What this means for you:

Overall you're not really losing much by using Windows 10 over Windows 7, and while some sticklers might jump in and complain about how Windows is going to shit - 10 is actually a huge leap forward, seeing Microsoft adopting new techniques and principles that lead to better quality software. Ironically this is exactly how Edge has now become one of the most standards compliant browsers, and with Microsoft actively engaging in the tech community, we're seeing long-requested features actually surfacing in 10 which would never been expected, including FreeBSD-style Linux emulation - partnered with Ubuntu, and (finally!) OpenSSH.

I guess the real question is, "What do you want from your machine?" - For nearly all use-cases I can think of, from general consumer, to avid developer, 10 is a significant upgrade.

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to use my computer for mostly game related stuff and school work, can 10 possibly affect that. also, if i decide to use it to play a pirated game can Microsoft find out and get me in trouble.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to use my computer for mostly game related stuff and school work, can 10 possibly affect that. also, if i decide to use it to play a pirated game can Microsoft find out and get me in trouble.
Just firewall your pirated games and you should be OK
Also I have heard of 10 screwing games due to driver issues but I'm not that sure as it could be fixed now

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
A Windows 10 thread that is without the spying conspiracies... Can we have that please? No? Okay then..

10 is a great operating system. I have none of the crappy software that "disables spying" because Microsoft isn't spying on you. None of that has been proven. As for pirated content? I've got a few applications and older games that are cracked.. No issues..

Last edited by Kioku,

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Windows 10 thread that is without the spying conspiracies... Can we have that please? No? Okay then..

10 is a great operating system. I have none of the crappy software that "disables spying" because Microsoft isn't spying on you. None of that has been proven. As for pirated content? I've got a few applications and older games that are cracked.. No issues..
It's just a bandwagon now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If people were actually scared about privacy, they would have already unplugged their modem.

Reactions: Kioku

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i also heard that it is not safe to downgrade, can i get some info on that.
Because you don't have the same level of security updates as you need to be up to date generally speaking

It's just a bandwagon now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If people were actually scared about privacy, they would have already unplugged their modem.
Or use OpenBSD ;)

Reactions: Deleted User

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you decide not to downgrade then the first thing you should do is download and run shutup10 to turn off all the spying crap. Note that you will need to run shutup10 after every update because some of them will reset your privacy settings.

There is also software that can stop automatic updates (which will also replace/update any drivers with the ones Microsoft thinks you should have, even if it will make your computer unbootable) which is probably a good idea, I believe it does so by emulating a WSUS server. I am pretty sure that is the only way to disable automatic updates without disabling the ability to update entirely.
You can disable automatic update via some regedit and gpedit trickeries. I have all my Windows 10 auto updates disabled.

Reactions: Kioku and keven3477

EmanueleBGN

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
There are Windows Insiders with a lot of pirated softwares like Office and Adobe suite: never heard of any issue...
Windows 10 is a very good OS, when you'll use it you'll see Seven so old!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Or run https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/ which will be automatically re-applied every now and then. It uses hosts file edits.
I want to be informed first, what are other negative things from 9lh windows 10
The way they mix and match the "Modern" style and classic style with some settings and features only accessible in the Modern UI and the rest accessible in the classic Control Panel, Administrative Tools and such is an annoyance but a minor one at best since you rarely need to go into the Settings app and change anything there and other Modern UI additions like the new start menu, the wifi AP list and notification center are pretty well integrated into the rest of the OS. I personally like the new start menu since it can easily be tweaked to your liking, but some people are afraid of change, those people can use an application to get the old start menu back.

All in all I like Windows 10, it's especially great on a 2-in-1 touchscreen device like my Surface due to the dynamic tablet mode switching, but it's pretty nice on my other computers too. It's nothing mind blowing but I do like a lot of the changes.
If you really don't like Windows 10 for some reason then by all means downgrade but if you are fine with using it then it's better in the long run as Microsoft inevitably drop support for Windows 7 and it becomes extremely vulnerable to malware.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: keven3477

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Frfr, autism gang rise up. +1