GCN Should I buy a used or new GameCube?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,990
  • Replies 29

Which should I buy?

• Expensive USA system

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Cheap Japan system that seems like a scam

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
D

Deleted User

OP
Hi. I’m planning to buy a GameCube to revive all of my memories but I don’t seem to find the right choice. Searching on amazon is painful and GameStop always gives me bad services (aka I always get items in unacceptable condition). A great choice would be eBay but there seems to be some choices that seem like a scam ($3000 MXN or $150 USD for a new spice orange Japanese system) and seem like they don’t know what to put in the price tag ($23000 MXN or $1150 for a new USA Indigo system). I mean it’s a collectible system and everything but not even a budget pc gamer has that price tags. The Wii U costs $800 and it is even rarer than a GameCube (GameCube sold 22M and Wii U sold 13M). And each system includes a GameCube controller and sold separately can cost you $150 (the same price as the previously mentioned Japanese spice orange system). So is it worth it to spend that amount of money for a GameCube system or should I take a risk for a scam?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I’m planning to buy a GameCube to revive all of my memories but I don’t seem to find the right choice. Searching on amazon is painful and GameStop always gives me bad services (aka I always get items in unacceptable condition). A great choice would be eBay but there seems to be some choices that seem like a scam ($3000 MXN or $150 USD for a new spice orange Japanese system) and seem like they don’t know what to put in the price tag ($23000 MXN or $1150 for a new USA Indigo system). I mean it’s a collectible system and everything but not even a budget pc gamer has that price tags. The Wii U costs $800 and it is even rarer than a GameCube (GameCube sold 22M and Wii U sold 13M). And each system includes a GameCube controller and sold separately can cost you $150 (the same price as the previously mentioned Japanese spice orange system). So is it worth it to spend that amount of money for a GameCube system or should I take a risk for a scam?
Why a Gamecube and not a Wii when Wii can do more?

Zhongtiao1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

With Ebay you have the money-back guarantee. You may not get a warranty, but if it is DOA without the listing saying so, you can get your money back. Unless you really want the box/collection factor, I'd say go for the used one. Not really worth paying the extra if you don't need it

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Already have a Wii and plan to recover a part of my childhood. Plus I get a controller
I am going to have to +1 Shadow#1 here. Unless you need the broadband adapter or GB player then a wii will do it all, have 5000x easier hacking (though if you have a wii you could load up a memory card I guess), will have a 10000x times easier component cable situation. The worst part of the wii will be maintaining a wiimote to select things on the menu. It is not even as though it is emulated or has some horrible downside as far as backwards compatibility goes.

Unless said GC bundle comes with a nice load of games, controllers and such that you do well for it (bundles are a nice source of such things when people just want shot of things) then surely it is easier to find whatever controllers smash fiends did not scoop up and go with the Wii.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Wii is an okay choice, but it doesn't really fill the void if your goal is nostalgia-based. If you have a good PC, then Dolphin plus a USB controller is an even easier way to just play the games. The emulation and enhancements are simple stunning these days, and compatibility is very good.

I wouldn't pay a high price for a GC on ebay, just try to find a seller that has 100% feedback and lots of pictures of the console showing its condition.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Buy a Panasonic Q. That system is awesome.

D4X

Ultra 64
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If you're going to pick up a GameCube, pick one up on eBay and if you're scammed at all (and you use PayPal) then you'll be able to take it up with eBay. eBay has excellent buyer protection. Prices there should be fairly reasonable too.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I totally agree with using a wii. Nintendont runs just fine. I bought a knockoff wavebird controller that was a bit crappy. I opened it up and shaved the plastic housing so my inputs don’t get stuck. I’ve got the old wii with the controller and memory card inputs. Luigi’s mansion was a blast. Ive never had the GameCube when I was growing up.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Buy a Panasonic Q. That system is awesome.

Perpetually on my list of systems I want, but don’t need. I’ve wanted one since they came out, just never gotten around to buying one. There’s still some bargains to be had, especially if you’re good with repairs — which is what I’ll likely do when I get around to buying one.

But there’s soooo many things on my buy list just now. Next up is a multi-cart for my G7000. Then either a flash cart for my Neo-Geo, or a TF330 for my CD32. Decisions, decisions :D

As for the thread, pick up a cheapie on eBay, at least there you’re protected.

Last edited by Stwert,
Reactions: D4X

D4X

Ultra 64
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Perpetually on my list of systems I want, but don’t need. I’ve wanted one since they came out, just never gotten around to buying one. There’s still some bargains to be had, especially if you’re good with repairs — which is what I’ll likely do when I get around to buying one.

Likewise! I'm focusing on tracking down some other exotic Nintendo hardware at the moment, but if I wasn't I would have gone for that broken Panasonic Q that was available on eBay a few days ago. The disc tray was busted and there were some other issues, but man would that have been a fun project.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Likewise! I'm focusing on tracking down some other exotic Nintendo hardware at the moment, but if I wasn't I would have gone for that broken Panasonic Q that was available on eBay a few days ago. The disc tray was busted and there were some other issues, but man would that have been a fun project.

Totally, I quite like tinkering away with things anyway, since I gave up being an engineer to focus on software development I sometimes miss the hardware side.

What are you looking to track down just now?

D4X

Ultra 64
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Totally, I quite like tinkering away with things anyway, since I gave up being an engineer to focus on software development I sometimes miss the hardware side.

Agreed. Sometimes the satisfaction of being able to fix something up yourself that someone else discarded is even better than picking up something new. Maybe something that OP could consider if there's no other GameCubes present themselves?

What are you looking to track down just now?

I'm really after a 64DD at the moment! I've always wanted one ever since childhood, but the prices are making me gawk, haha. I was on holiday in Japan on a retro game hunt a couple months ago and wasn't able to find one.

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed. Sometimes the satisfaction of being able to fix something up yourself that someone else discarded is even better than picking up something new. Maybe something that OP could consider if there's no other GameCubes present themselves?

I'm really after a 64DD at the moment! I've always wanted one ever since childhood, but the prices are making me gawk, haha. I was on holiday in Japan on a retro game hunt a couple months ago and wasn't able to find one.

Yeah they are a bit crazy, the best I’ve seen lately is around £500. Which, considering it’s an add-on, will probably stay on my wish list until. Well, probably until I’m too old and my kids take over my collection........

... When they pry it from my cold, dead hands that is :D

Having said that, I’ll be spending pretty much that to get a flash cart for my Neo-Geo, so, never say never.

Last edited by Stwert,
Reactions: D4X

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The epic boot and BIOS menu music alone is enough to warrant buying a GameCube, IMO :P

Don’t forget the “hidden” ones when you hold Z on the controllers.

It’s funny, you don’t normally think about the boot-up sounds. But I did/do like the GameCube ones.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don’t forget the “hidden” ones when you hold Z on the controllers.

It’s funny, you don’t normally think about the boot-up sounds. But I did/do like the GameCube ones.
yep worth posting the vid for those tht not heard -the second one is a classic :lol:

Reactions: yukivulpes

yukivulpes

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Remember those 2008-era YTPs of the GC startup? Now that was the shit back in my day when I used to randomly go on YT using the Wii browser...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER