ROM Hack Shining Force Feather Translation

Moogie17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A friend of mine over at SFC has been working on a tool for inserting text into the game - not sure how he's getting on, but he'd certainly figured out how to dump & uncompress text from the ROM:

http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/view...=39&t=16919

I know he has various projects on the go, but will give him a poke about this one when I get the chance
smile.gif

onizukaa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Moogie17 said:
A friend of mine over at SFC has been working on a tool for inserting text into the game - not sure how he's getting on, but he'd certainly figured out how to dump & uncompress text from the ROM:

http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/view...=39&t=16919

I know he has various projects on the go, but will give him a poke about this one when I get the chance
smile.gif

TY, Moogie!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really just sad what has happened to the Shining Force franchise, it's not even their fault but they are forgotten. (Thank you rare late Sega Saturn game and crappy ps2 spinoffs
laugh.gif
)

onizukaa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Lazy727 said:
It's really just sad what has happened to the Shining Force franchise, it's not even their fault but they are forgotten. (Thank you rare late Sega Saturn game and crappy ps2 spinoffs
laugh.gif
)

Second that. PS2 game were.....ACTION RPGS!!

Shining Force II was the first SRPG with world exploration. Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy focus on battle and completely ignore city exploring...that's so sad =/

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I always wanted to play the PS2 Shining games. They didn't get released down here. Loved the series since I played Shining Force, even bought the GBA remake (which I hated and eventually sent to a friend in Aus). I want a Shining game to play on my DS.

onizukaa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
DeltaBladeX said:
I always wanted to play the PS2 Shining games. They didn't get released down here. Loved the series since I played Shining Force, even bought the GBA remake (which I hated and eventually sent to a friend in Aus). I want a Shining game to play on my DS.

They're absolutely relevant. They only take the name of the series, as they've got NOTHING to do with the main series. They're are kinda Dungeon Crawling with Action. Their story is weak, and the only resemblance to anything related to old Shining Games is the vague mention of Dark Dragon or something of the sort.

Believe me, they're not relevant at all. Check footage on youtube, no big deal.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
onizukaa said:
They're absolutely relevant. They only take the name of the series, as they've got NOTHING to do with the main series. They're are kinda Dungeon Crawling with Action. Their story is weak, and the only resemblance to anything related to old Shining Games is the vague mention of Dark Dragon or something of the sort.

Believe me, they're not relevant at all. Check footage on youtube, no big deal.
Its a case of "the grass is greener". I can't get them, so I want them.

suruz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Was just wondering -- is ANYONE still interested in translating this game? Will there ever be an english translation, or is it just not worth doing?

Sorry if this qualifies as necrobumping, but I was just curious.
tongue.gif
Also, since Nanashi no Game (a game that was deemed "near impossible to translate) is actually going to have an English translation now.. I thought it might be worth seeing if this game was possible too...

I remember people have tried it in the past and the VW font was tricky or something (and various other problems) but.. I'm not really sure about the technical details of it, so not sure how hard it would really be to get a project going :/

will1987

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Anyone knows about the translation project of "Shining Force II"?, there's a brazilian guy working on this project, look's very well, but I don't know what is happening at this time
unsure.gif

Moogie17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Renato's SFII project is not a translation, he is making a tribute version of the game on the DS with all new graphics, extra story & features - all coded from scratch.

As for SF:Feather, I know loads of folks who would love to play a translation, and BoneIdol over at SFC made a bit of progress with pulling the ROM apart. Don't think he's had time to get much further with it though.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've heard, it's a bit too difficult to fit the text and requires a lot of hacking skill. It may not happen.

will1987

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
you are right, I just speak about a translation because he's working with a portuguese version, and it will be good for me, the US version should be released "I think". Of course the game is being made by the zero, I discovery this project because I bought a nintendo magazine"here in brazil" talking about it.
yaynds.gif

Congratulations for Renato(conterraneo)
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif
yaynds.gif

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
727 said:
From what I've heard, it's a bit too difficult to fit the text and requires a lot of hacking skill. It may not happen.

- does not support ASCII (meaning : forced to use double byte encoding and "Space issue" can come)
- Font hack (not a surprise heh)

except from that, the game is fairly easy to translate...

suruz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
StorMyu said:
727 said:

- does not support ASCII (meaning : forced to use double byte encoding and "Space issue" can come)
- Font hack (not a surprise heh)

except from that, the game is fairly easy to translate...

Ah yeah, that was the stuff stopping people from doing it... also, something about a 'custom encoding table'? So a new table needs to be created, and something like Shift-JIS cant be used? Lol I have no clue about the technical stuff.

But anyway I thought someone had cracked the font problem, I remember seeing some screenshots.. Or maybe not? :wtf:

Either way, until someone actually steps up and says they can do it, we've got nothing. xD

StorMyu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
suruz said:
Ah yeah, that was the stuff stopping people from doing it... also, something about a 'custom encoding table'? So a new table needs to be created, and something like Shift-JIS cant be used? Lol I have no clue about the technical stuff.

But anyway I thought someone had cracked the font problem, I remember seeing some screenshots.. Or maybe not? :wtf:

Maybe my screenshots ?
I think I'll "at least" dump the scripts, everything else can be done while the translation is on going.

StorMyu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I haven't heard anything about anyone trying "more than 5min" on that game, but actually I'm working on it when I have the time.
It's not an announcement or something, I've lots of things to deal with "irl" so...

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Well this thread made me curious and I spended some time looking at this game too.
The graphics are not so complicated to find but from what i saw, no VWF for the big font.
I have found a second font but didn't check yet if it's VWF-able.
The text is in SJIS uncompressed and in some cases there is enough place to write english text but saddly it doesn't support one byte encoding.
I find it strange that somebody at Sega didn't think of VWF...maybe somebody good in ASM can find what happening because I saw a table in the ARM that look very suspicious to me. Sadly my tries ended in no change in the font :(
Here some samples of the graphics:

StorMyu

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well this thread made me curious and I spended some time looking at this game too.
The graphics are not so complicated to find but from what i saw, no VWF for the big font.
I have found a second font but didn't check yet if it's VWF-able.
The text is in SJIS uncompressed and in some cases there is enough place to write english text but saddly it doesn't support one byte encoding.
I find it strange that somebody at Sega didn't think of VWF...maybe somebody good in ASM can find what happening because I saw a table in the ARM that look very suspicious to me. Sadly my tries ended in no change in the font :(
Here some samples of the graphics:

You should have asked ^^
The font in the ARM is not the one used in the Script, anyway, it's just a small font used for some option and some other random stuff.
the real one is in the System.pac
Pleonex is helping me with the graphics already, and I've been coding a text editor since November but still not done yet (well technically ready but I'd like to improve it by adding more bytecode recognition.)
also I'll take care of the vwf once my laptop will be back (since that one sucked and it can't even launch an emulator correctly...)

also, some of the graphics:

76645148.png
55971798.png
38365857.png
49624398.png
34129735.png
43366865.png
41037316.png
22988851.png
28862856.png
11203448.png
40276129.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think