Gaming Shin Megami Tensei IV or SMT Devil Summoner : Soul Hackers?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both.

/thread.
I would say SMT IV first if you want the first run extras, but if not, get Soul Hackers
I'm definitely getting both. And Overclocked. And Break Mode once it's released. But I'm one of those people who never really cares for the extras that come in limited/collector's editions. The only thing that might be useful is the strategy guide, but that's what GameFAQs is for. If you don't want any of these, there's no reason you need to pre-order SMTIV:
  • A 176-page Strategy & Design Book that includes the official starter strategy guide and full-color artwork ranging from concept art to in-game pieces to never-used designs from the new Shin Megami Tensei series character designer, Masayuki Doi.
  • The Shin Megami Tensei Music Collection CD that offers a collection of tracks specially selected from across the 20-plus-year history of the Shin Megami Tensei series.
  • A deluxe-sized collectible slipcase featuring key art designed by Masayuki Doi.
But get it anyway.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
do you actually like the shin megami games? those are not like persona or devil survivor. thats an important question, because these games have a tendency to become somewhat monotonous after the first hour or so.
if you like them though, go with the first one, it looks to be of better quality and presentation

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you actually like the shin megami games? those are not like persona or devil survivor. thats an important question, because these games have a tendency to become somewhat monotonous after the first hour or so.
if you like them though, go with the first one, it looks to be of better quality and presentation
That's a good point. Well, not the monotonous part, I disagree with that. But SMTIV will most likely play like typical jRPGs, and Soul Hackers will be a 1st person dungeon crawler.

My first SMT game was Devil Survivor, and that led to Persona, the two series I like the most, but I am also a big fan of jRPGs in general, and absolutely love dungeon crawlers, so I'm going to get them anyway, and not just because they have SMT in their name (although that's definitely a plus).

weavile001

Spiritmaster
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

yes, i´ve played almost every SM games, excluding persona 1 and 2.
and i love JRPGs, so , a SMT 4 looks the best for now.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are both great, but SMT IV is a lot more modern. Soul Hackers in its own time was amazing (still is) but it doesn't win in a direct comparison against IV, in my opinion. I have SH, preordered IV. Bit obsessed with the "main" megaten games.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IV, especially with the pre-order bonuses and first run edition. Soul Hackers is great as well, but I don't think it will be going anywhere soon.

Either way I'd say get both

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them