Where do I start with both the Shin Megami Tensei series and the Persona series?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I've played SMT IV and V, also Persona 4 and Persona 5.

None of the games had anything to do with each other more than being games in the SMT universe. So pick up any

Reactions: Xdqwerty

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I only played the snes version of digital devil story Megami Tensei and i havent played any persona game
Never played any, but looks easy:
esww6m103b421.png

• Haha
Reactions: hippy dave

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had the first Persona game on my PSX. Never got into it enough to recommend it but i'm liking playing Persona 4 Golden on my Vita.

Kaisaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There isn't really any true "starting point" for the Megami Tensei series unless you want to play the games in release order. Stuff like the timeline posted above that you'll see many versions of online aren't always correct and rely more on stretches/references than anything being an actual sequel. Pretty much any Megami Tensei game is standalone so just pick up whatever looks cool to you. If you want to play everything then going in general release order is good. Based off of what you've played (MT1 SNES), you could try Megami Tensei II or even the mainline Shin Megami Tensei games as they're pretty much a continuation of the mechanics introduced in that game (first person dungeon crawling, demon fusion, demon negotiation, etc.) If you're struggling to figure out what games were translated into English (either officially or fanmade), I have this spreadsheet that might help you with that. Regardless, I hope you enjoy your journey with this series! Also play Jack Bros.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Persona 4 Golden is now the oldest and hardest game to get into. So start there so you don't have to backtrack from the QoL that comes from Royal and Reload. P4 is also just the most approachable in tone and characters imo.

LeoTCK

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I never played any but I have a friend (who I don't hear often from anymore) who knows those games well. I might ask him and see if he replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1