Shin Megami Tensei: Deep Strange Journey announced

Riding off the back of another upcoming Atlus remake for a DS game, comes the new 3DS Megami Tensei project. Titled Shin Megami Tensei: Deep Strange Journey, the game is a refined version of 2009's Strange Journey, and will be a "more easily accessible" version, with extra enhanced features. More demons, a new character, redone assets, and an extra ending are going to be the new additions coming to the remake. It's set for a release this Fall, for Japan.

TesseractStorm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And so it begins....the Capcom-ization of Atlus by Sega. (aka remaking, re-releasing virtually every game in a new platform)

Atlus was doing remakes before Sega bought them. And they tend to do enhanced remakes with added content at least. Better than just ports with nothing new.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FUCK YES

sYf1vYx.png

And so it begins....the Capcom-ization of Atlus by Sega. (aka remaking, re-releasing virtually every game in a new platform)
This is an enhanced port, possibly remake. Strange Journey fucking needed it. The DS has garbage 3D graphics you couldn't even notice the walls were made of trash in one of the levels.

Edit: I just realized the irony of that last statement but it makes it all the more amusing.

Last edited by Pluupy,
Reactions: leonmagnus99

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atlus please stop I forgot the safe word D:

But for serious the 3DS is the place to be for SMT games. IV, IV:A, Soul Hackers (even though it was technically a port), Persona Q, and the two remasters of Devil Survivors... I am so happy with how good Atlus treats us here in the US.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad it's for the 3ds. I'm probably the minority but i actually use the 3d on my 3ds since it actually works well on the new 3ds.

AkiraCast

Former professional QA tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice! I was gonna pick it up for NDS at some point but now I'll wait for this, Also realllllly hoping that means the Switch game is SMT V afterall.

supaplex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wow, this is very good news for me, I absolutely loved the DS game! One of my favorite SMT games, I hope for a quick EU release and God please, not digital only.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a while since a news post on this site gave me a (positive) "Wait, what the f***...?" double take. Like @comput3rus3r Strange Journey was my first SMT game. Without it I probably wouldn't be getting Persona 5 in a week and would be missing out on a ton of fun games. I actually never finished it, even though I was dozens of hours into it... odd how Atlus games do that to me (I'm looking at you, Radiant Historia). That being said... I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "more easily accessible" bit in the OP. Am I the only one worried about that? I generally interpret "more easily accessible" games as "easier" games.

Greymane

Lurking gbatemp pony
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That being said... I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "more easily accessible" bit in the OP. Am I the only one worried about that? I generally interpret "more easily accessible" games as "easier" games.
Maybe they added a difficulty option like they do with most games these days.

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they added a difficulty option like they do with most games these days.
I sure hope that's all. Part of what makes SMT games so great is that you need to plan and whatnot. I also hope they either get rid of their demon sharing system. Streetpass is a pain in the butt and is pointless for people who use their 3DS as a home console.

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? They could port something that's not already playable on 3ds. I'd love to see remake/port for Digital devil saga 1,2 and Nocturne. Strange journey was good, but this seems like a waste. The general purpose of a remaster or port on another system is to bring a game from another system/generation to a newer system/generation. "Easily accessible" usually means dumbed down. C'mon Atlus, you're better than this. Such a waste of assets and time. It's already playable on 3ds through backwards compatibility!!! Fufufufufufufufufufu

Pedeadstrian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The general purpose of a remaster or port on another system is to bring a game from another system/generation to a newer system/generation.
DS: seventh generation.
3DS: eighth generation.

I don't see the problem here. You can technically play PSOne games on the PS4. Does that make the remasters/ports a waste? No, because you're bringing good games (some of the time, including this time) to newer generations of kids and bringing nostalgia to adults who played the games as kids. It's been 7 years this week since Strange Journey came out. It was 13 months between The Last of Us and The Last of Us Remastered. I think your anger is pointed in the wrong location.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
I'm glad it's for the 3ds. I'm probably the minority but i actually use the 3d on my 3ds since it actually works well on the new 3ds.
do you push the slider all the way up ?
i sometimes use it too, but i can't keep it up.
i leave it all the way down.

and i usually only leave it on for about 10minutes then i turn it off because i think it will drain battery fast, or does it not?
and i agree that it works pretty well on the n3ds, and it also looks good.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you push the slider all the way up ?
i sometimes use it too, but i can't keep it up.
i leave it all the way down.

and i usually only leave it on for about 10minutes then i turn it off because i think it will drain battery fast, or does it not?
and i agree that it works pretty well on the n3ds, and it also looks good.
i put slider all the way up and it does drain more battery but i'm always home. i think battery last a long time either way.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/_sJ79aDQTeQ?si=dCPYbyGhZ8OFK8nb