Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Main PC
Processor: Intel i7 8700k
Memory: 64GB DDR4
Graphics: EVGA Geforce GTX 1080ti
Hard drives: 2 x 8 TB (shucked external from Bestbuy) + 2 x 250GB (Raid setup for OS)
Monitors: 2 x 4k Samung 28inch monitors
Speakers: 2 x Tannoy 8 inch studio monitors
Sound card: Scarlett 2i2
Headphones: Astro A40
Microphone: AT2020 USB+
Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
Mouse: Logitech G502 (Will be moving to a Corsair one soon)

Unraid/Plex/NZB/Torrent/VM server
Processor: 2 x Intel Xeon X5690 @ 3.47GHz
Memory: 192GB (isn't as crazy expensive as you would think since this is server memory)
Graphics: 750 ti low profile (Server is rack mounted and only 2u tall so needed the low profile)
Hard drives: 1 x 500GB (cache drive) + 7 x 8TB (media/data)
Monitors: None.

I can post pictures if people are interested.
How is this sad?

TinyRick

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Memory: 192GB (isn't as crazy expensive as you would think since this is server memory) What are you going on about I work for a PC / Server build company I can tell you server memory costs more than desktop memory currently! So making out its cheaper as its server memory is incorrect!

One 16GB stick of DDR3 1333MHz (which I have 12 of in my server) costs roughly 60 dollars right now on ebay. (I got them at 50 a piece).
One 16GB stick of Corsair DDR4 desktop memory (which I have 4 of in my desktop) costs roughly 200+ dollars on Amazon right now.

I know one is DDR3 and DDR4, but go on Amazon, Newegg, or anywhere else and see if you can get 1x16GB of ram for cheaper.

Nyteshade714

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Laptop with Intel i7 7700 HQ @ 2.8GHz, GTX 1060 6GB, 16 GB RAM, 1TB HDD.

It's sad because I'm travelling, so I'm stuck with the gimpy laptop instead of my beastly desktop that's sitting in storage until I've settled back down.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Laptop with Intel i7 7700 HQ @ 2.8GHz, GTX 1060 6GB, 16 GB RAM, 1TB HDD.

It's sad because I'm travelling, so I'm stuck with the gimpy laptop instead of my beastly desktop that's sitting in storage until I've settled back down.
Are you fucking kidding me? :rofl2:
That's better than my laptop with slightly inferior specs, and this machine is able to run almost everything perfectly.

Reactions: Deleted User

Nyteshade714

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's better than my laptop with slightly inferior specs, and this machine is able to run almost everything perfectly.

If it was just games I'd be ok. As it is, my 3D renders take twice as long as I'm accustomed to.

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's only saying those are "gimpy" specs because he wants everyone to think that he's accustomed to PC's that make THAT one look weak. It's a cringey tactic that a lot of kids use on the internet.

Nyteshade714

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's only saying those are "gimpy" specs because he wants everyone to think that he's accustomed to PC's that make THAT one look weak. It's a cringey tactic that a lot of kids use on the internet.

How does that make any sense? If I wanted to lie I could have just come up with some fantastic specs and posted those instead.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
How does that make any sense? If I wanted to lie I could have just come up with some fantastic specs and posted those instead.

Nobody called you a liar?

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never said you lied though....? I simply stated that you saying a PC with an i7/1060 is gimpy is incredibly cringey.....as you're trying to imply that you're used to the PC's with much better specs and are trying to make yourself look cool/rich.

Nyteshade714

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never said you lied though....? I simply stated that you saying a PC with an i7/1060 is gimpy is incredibly cringey.....as you're trying to imply that you're used to the PC's with much better specs and are trying to make yourself look cool/rich.

I'm a programmer and hobbyist 3D artist. I need to be able to render and compile much faster than this laptop can handle. It works just fine for games, but there's more to computing than games. I'm not particularly cool and I'm certainly not rich; I need these things to be able to do what I do and the laptop is impeding my process. Hence, sad.

You keep calling this cringey but I literally just want to go back to being able to render a reasonably complex short animation in under 24 hours.

Last edited by Nyteshade714,

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll just leave this here for the lolz.

LWFwcM9.png

Spendy39

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One 16GB stick of DDR3 1333MHz (which I have 12 of in my server) costs roughly 60 dollars right now on ebay. (I got them at 50 a piece).
One 16GB stick of Corsair DDR4 desktop memory (which I have 4 of in my desktop) costs roughly 200+ dollars on Amazon right now.

I know one is DDR3 and DDR4, but go on Amazon, Newegg, or anywhere else and see if you can get 1x16GB of ram for cheaper.

16GB DDR4 Desktop Memory if i purchased from my work would be £135.60 Inc Vat, 16GB DDR4 ECC Reg would cost me £153.60. Didnt spot you were using DDR3 server memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1