Misses the old days...
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dont have the money to pay for the wireless adapter for my 360. I'm trying find alternative ways to connect it. I think I might have away but I'm not to sure.
Well first off I'll let you know my setup. I have a desktop computer in another room that's connected to a gateway device (modem/router). In my room I have a 360 and a router.
Can I connect my 360 to the router via the Ethernet cable and have the router connect to the other router in the other room to set up a connection? The router in my room is only connected to my 360 and the wall socket.

Is it possible?

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
With you new double router connection, connecting to live will take a few extra steps (unless the uPNP is AMAZING on both routers). You'll have to set up port forwarding.

Modem: No Change
Router 1: Port Forward to Router 2 (using Live ports)
Router 2: Port Forward to Router 1 (using Live ports)
Xbox: No Change, unless you want to give it a static IP.

Whoa, hold on. Is your gateway device hooked up to your router in your room? I hope so!
smile.gif

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait how do I do it? When I connect my 360 to the second router it finds a IP adress but can't find a DNS server (or whatever). Any solution?

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean that you want the two routers connected via ethernet or wia wireless?

If it's ethernet, I recommend setting up the 2nd router (next to the 360) as a switch.
With most home routers you do this by disabling DHCP and firewall services on that router since the main router connected to the internet is going to provide those services for you anyway. This ethernet running between the two routers is connected to one of the normal numbered ports (on both) instead of the "internet" port. This basically just extends your wired network (and wireless if you have two wireless routers).

This is the way I have mine setup.
On one side of my living room, I have my cable internet coming in to a Linksys wireless router. This router is doing my DHCP stuff. My PS2 and 360 connect to it.
Then a cable connects it to the Netgear router on the other side of the room that's acting as switch, connecting my main computer and home server.
They also both give out wireless for my various devices.
No need for port forwarding.

If you're looking to connect the routers to each other wirelessly, then I can't be any help.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Get a cheap a Linksys WRT router and flash it with DD-WRT (or two if you don't already have an access point). This firmware allows you to use the router as a wireless client bridge. In fact, I'm doing it right now. My computer is hooked up to a Linksys client bridge which connects with my router upstairs wirelessly. I can add 3 other devices to the client bridge and have them go online (4 additional, 5 in total if I disable the WAN port and make it into a LAN port).

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

Price comparison. A WRT54GL is about 65 bucks on Amazon, the 360 adapter is about 90 bucks.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would like to do it wirelessly. I would prefer not to buy anything since i'm low on cash. So basically how do I setup a bridge between my routers?
setup.jpg

The router in "the other room" is connected to a desktop. Inmy room my laptop and Wii connect to the router in the other room. I have an old router now. How do I setup a bridge between the router in my room, thats connected to my 360 via ethernet cable, to the router in the other room?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...