Homebrew Offline Wifi?

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a portable router and I can connect to it just fine in Wireless Settings. However, because I have no internet, I'm not able to use wifi offline for FTP over LAN? Is there a tool to spoof an internet connection to bypass this?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure you actually need internet not just connected to the wifi network, you also need both the 3ds and the pc on the same network.

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure you actually need internet not just connected to the wifi network, you also need both the 3ds and the pc on the same network.
It's a quirk of the Wifi Setup. Nintendo has no business on what I'd like to FTP between my 3DS and Vita on the same network.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a quirk of the Wifi Setup. Nintendo has no business on what I'd like to FTP between my 3DS and Vita on the same network.

Well you can't access the 3ds without being online, it need an IP address and a port to access it, without it being online you have no IP address, If you are scared then just take out the SD and transfer files, it is faster than FTP.

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In theory it should work by local wifi only. I shouldn't be uploading my data to Nintendo's servers only to download it back to another device in the same room. I don't believe either system has Adhoc capabilities known to any Homebrew either. But the FTP program I found on 3DS just says "Waiting for wifi".

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well you can't access the 3ds without being online, it need an IP address and a port to access it, without it being online you have no IP address, If you are scared then just take out the SD and transfer files, it is faster than FTP.
There's a difference between a working network connection and 'online'. I think what OP is looking for is a way to connect to an AP (thus getting an (internal) IP from the APs DHCP server) that is not actually hooked up to the internet. (Back in the day we would call this intranet though ;p )

Edit
...I don't understand? I thought FTP on the 3DS (and Vita) worked locally, and didn't actually require an internet connection?

The 3DS might require an internet connection for the wizard to actually finish and connect, but the FTP server/client (because it is 100% homebrew and has nothing to do with Nintendo besides running on one of their consoles) 100% will not transmit any data outwards anywhere (unless if you'd connect to an external FTP server and initiate the transfer yourself but you would be aware of this).

I think you could just connect succesfully and then yank the internet connection from the AP while it's connected, assuming the 3DS won't DC once it notices pings not ponging back anymore.

Last edited by Quincy,
Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Tokiwa

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That's just how the 3DS works, it makes a "test connection" to Nintendo servers before allowing you to use your wifi (even if you just want to use locally). Yeah it sucks, it's the same on the Switch but we have community patches to skip that step in that case. As for the 3DS i never tried the FakeMii method, you could give it a try.

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. I have no PC though, so I can't try FakeMii. Or maybe someone released Node.js for PS3...

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
If your 3DS is modded with Luma3DS, have you tried forcing the connection via Luma3DS menu? Can't tell where it is exactly at the moment but should be easy to find
The Rosalina menu.
Default combo is L + DPAD DOWN + SELECT, then go to System Configuration -> Control Wireless Connection and then hit A to force a connection.

Quincy

Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's just how the 3DS works, it makes a "test connection" to Nintendo servers before allowing you to use your wifi (even if you just want to use locally). Yeah it sucks, it's the same on the Switch but we have community patches to skip that step in that case. As for the 3DS i never tried the FakeMii method, you could give it a try.
Does the 3DS lose connection to the network when you disconnect your router/AP from the internet post-'connection wizard'? If not, this could also be a possible workaround.

Both my 3DSes have gotten burried somewhere in a drawer, if I had one of m handy (or knew where exactly they ended up lmao 🤣) I'd try for myself xD

The Rosalina menu.
Default combo is L + DPAD DOWN + SELECT, then go to System Configuration -> Control Wireless Connection and then hit A to force a connection.

I've gamed and homebrewed on my 3DS extensively and thought myself knowledgeable on a 'low-level' level (as in low-level system functions and mechanics both soft- and hardware wise, but the existance of this menu is complete news to me (or maybe I forgot because I never (had to) use it or something xD Also very possible)

Last edited by Quincy,
  • Wow
Reactions: BigOnYa

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Does the 3DS lose connection to the network when you disconnect your router/AP from the internet post-'connection wizard'? If not, this could also be a possible workaround.

Both my 3DSes have gotten burried somewhere in a drawer, if I had one of m handy (or knew where exactly they ended up lmao 🤣) I'd try for myself xD

I've gamed and homebrewed on my 3DS extensively and thought myself knowledgeable on a 'low-level' level (as in low-level system functions and mechanics both soft- and hardware wise, but the existance of this menu is complete news to me (or maybe I forgot because I never (had to) use it or something xD Also very possible)
How long has it been since you've used a hacked 3DS? We've had the Rosalina menu since before even *I'VE* hacked it, like, back in 2019 or so..

Quincy

Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
The Rosalina menu.
How long has it been since you've used a hacked 3DS? We've had the Rosalina menu since before even *I'VE* hacked it, like, back in 2019 or so..
I honestly touched my own 3DSes once or twice tops ever since I bought my Wii U and that was merely to demo the AR when someone asked how AR works :P, so 9 or 10 years I guess (WiiU launched in 2012)

Last edited by Quincy,
Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I honestly touched my own 3DSes once or twice tops ever since I bought my Wii U and that was merely to demo the AR when someone asked how AR works :P, so 9 or 10 years I guess (WiiU launched in 2012)
Well hot damn! You shouldd probably see if they still work.. You're missin out on a ton of fun games.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I just got myself a switch (and modded it) which gobbles up the most of my days right now 🤣
For me honestly it's the opposite. My switch would take up more time, but, with the SD reader being a BITCH to deal with even AFTER replacing it, I just use my 3DS and newly-gotten Vita more. Hell, the 3DS and Vita are also more practical to take out ESPECIALLY with how the Vita can do email.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Probably because the game cover looks like it's meant for little kids