Hardware Seriously considering selling 3DS XL

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If you don't use it anymore, don't like the games, and need the money now, then sell it.

Personally, even if I were in your situation, I wouldn't sell it. The amount of money I'd get for it wouldn't be enough to offset the time and concern it would take to sell it, and I'm damn sure not trading it in at GameStop.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't use it anymore, don't like the games, and need the money now, then sell it.
Personally, even if I were in your situation, I wouldn't sell it. The amount of money I'd get for it wouldn't be enough to offset the time and concern it would take to sell it, and I'm damn sure not trading it in at GameStop.

Selling it at gamestop is so not worth it, I'd get like $90 for everything if that XD But what if I could get $220 for everything (console, games, etc) on Amazon? I mean, I just trying to figure out why I should keep something I don't even use anymore. See that's the problem, and I sure as hell can't think of any games I want for it, much less upcoming games. As of now, I've been focusing primarily on the Wii U and its upcoming games.

If there was one reason why I should keep it, what would it be? Why should I keep something I don't use? I could get me some Wii U games or a camera instead. I can't get a second unit for legit stuff and use the other for hacking, I haven't used it in over a month, I only have three games, I don't know if I want any games coming out this year and next. Damned if I do, damned if I don't kind of situation. It's just too ambivalent.

clubmaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sell your device. You don't use it anyways and chances 6.x gets hacked are....

If you are really into piracy homebrew get a 4.5 3DS now as it can/will become more expensive/unavailable (see PS3...)

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sell your device. You don't use it anyways and chances 6.x gets hacked are....

If you are really into piracy homebrew get a 4.5 3DS now as it can/will become more expensive/unavailable (see PS3...)

I originally got a 3DS so I could run homebrew apps on it (never cared about 3DS ROMs to be perfectly honest), but the hacking development scene is still new and well, let's just say I had false expectations.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there was one reason why I should keep it, what would it be?

If the opportunity cost incurred by selling it is more than what you would make selling it.

You've already put in ~14 hours of time (looking at the length of this thread and your responses) just considering to sell it. It also takes time to list the unit, wait for a buyer, wrap it up, and ship it out.

For me, my time is more valuable than the money I would make selling a 3DS. Maybe for you that's different.

In cases like this, choosing to sell or not is more of a reflection on your economic situation than it is whether or not you actually want the item in question.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the opportunity cost incurred by selling it is more than what you would make selling it.

You've already put in ~14 hours of time (looking at the length of this thread and your responses) just considering to sell it. It also takes time to list the unit, wait for a buyer, wrap it up, and ship it out.

For me, my time is more valuable than the money I would make selling a 3DS. Maybe for you that's different.

In cases like this, choosing to sell or not is more of a reflection on your economic situation than it is whether or not you actually want the item in question.

There's craigslist as well, that way, I can make sure the person wanting to buy it pay cash only, as there is no way to get screwed over. I already made an ad and really didn't take all the much time to make :P Shipping costs aren't going to be that bad. And I'm just going to go ahead and sell it. I'm sick of being on the fence and whishy-washy; gonna just get it over with. Anywhere from $190-$220 for the games and console will suffice.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's craigslist as well, that way, I can make sure the person wanting to buy it pay cash only, as there is no way to get screwed over. I already made an ad and really didn't take all the much time to make :P Shipping costs aren't going to be that bad. And I'm just going to go ahead and sell it. I'm sick of being on the fence and whishy-washy; gonna just get it over with. Anywhere from $190-$220 for the games and console will suffice.

There's your answer then.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you don't want to wait for a new hack and just want to get a Gateway... then sell your XL, buy a new 3DS and a Gateway. It's really that simple and not at all rocket science - don't let others sway you if pirating is exactly what you want to do.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't want to wait for a new hack and just want to get a Gateway... then sell your XL, buy a new 3DS and a Gateway. It's really that simple and not at all rocket science - don't let others sway you if pirating is exactly what you want to do.

I've been contemplating this for some time actually, I know 3DS and XL consoles from 2012 are going to get harder and harder to come by as time goes on. I already made ads on eBay, Craigslist and on the trading post here. As for hacking the 3DS, I'm so giving up on it entirely. I know, it's negative and very defeatist for me to say that, but that's how I feel. Making the decision to upgrade to 6.2 prior to its release was even more egregious of me and is something I regret. I'v also given up on waiting for a new exploit for newer firmware versions for obvious reasons. All in all, I feel I bought the 3DS XL for all the wrong reasons and now I've paid the price (literally). All desire in using it for legit and for hacking related stuff is gone. That is why I'm going to sell it, and it ain't gonna be through Gamestop :P

And besides, I doubt there ever will be a new hack for the GW or from Smea as neither will work on new firmware versions, so yeah, kinda screwed myself over as usual. I don't use it, I have no hope for newer hacks, and I sure as hell don't want to put myself through the crap I put myself through a while ago.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The whole scene got way too eager way too quick. Those who have been on the scene for a longer period of time expected that hacking the 3DS will take a considerable amount of time... and for all intents and purposes, I'm still quite surprised that the Gateway popped up as early as it did.

In any case, if that's how you feel, sure - go on ahead. ;)

Reactions: the_randomizer

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The whole scene got way too eager way too quick. Those who have been on the scene for a longer period of time expected that hacking the 3DS will take a considerable amount of time... and for all intents and purposes, I'm still quite surprised that the Gateway popped up as early as it did.

In any case, if that's how you feel, sure - go on ahead. ;)

Its like that when you reverse engineer anything, once you can abstract away from the layer full of unknowns and execute your code freely in the target environment things become easy (RELATIVE).
In the case of the 3ds as soon as a viable exploit had been found development started to speed up immensely as there finally was an entry point that didn't need arcane magicks to be utilised.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill