Sequel to Razer's gaming phone in development

razer phone.JPG

It seems like the recent wave of gaming smartphone is not going to falter. After the Razer Phone arguably kickstarted the gaming smartphone hype, we've seen other companies follow suit like the Black Shark, Red Magic and ROG Phone. As if to keep up the momentum, Razer is reportedly working on a second-generation Razer Phone, as spotted in an earnings report.

"The Group is very pleased with the success of its first generation Razer Phone, which was released in a limited run and has garnered very positive reviews internationally," reads the report before adding that "Razer is now focusing its resources into the development of the second-generation Razer Phone and accompanying software releases which will extend its software and services from PC into the mobile market".

What do you think of gaming smartphones? Do they live up to the hype? If gaming phones are your thing, what specs and new features would you like to see in the Razer Phone 2?

:arrow: SOURCE

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
My mate has the Razer Phone, the 120hz screen is so nice, it really does make such a nice difference.

The 120hz screen has impressed me far more than any of these phones pushing a notch as a selling point.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I think there's enough of a niche in handheld gaming for phones to squeeze their way in. There are a lot of huge issues that need to be ironed out, though, mainly physical controls and a steady stream of games with a good enough production value that aren't microtransaction-filled cash grabs. Time will tell if this works out or not.

Also, contrary to what many in this thread are saying, phones are used for way more than just calling people; they're handheld computers at this point. It's part of the reasoning behind gaming phones in the first place; if you've got this capable computer in your pocket that's at least as powerful, if not more powerful than your dedicated handheld gaming device, then why wouldn't you use that extra power towards something besides calling people and Reddit?

thats exactly my philosophy.
also..
my pc would be useless for gaming if i dont have controllers and mouse/keyboard.

Reactions: nryn99

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still not down for a gaming phone unless it has the physical controls.

Still waiting for Sony Xperia Play 2.

I wanted an Xperia Play so badly! I was almost willing to buy one as my regular phone after their EOL.

But I think now is the time for smartphones to take a page out of the Big N's book. I wouldn't even mind if they straight up ripped off the switch's joy-con setup. Not motion controls, but just a detachable rail system with a New 3DS button layout (and a proper second circle pad) would be sweet as hell for a phone.

If they could devise a kickstand that wasn't an absolute turd and let you charge while you play without spending extra on top of that? Sign me the hell up.

Reactions: Jonna

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
I wanted an Xperia Play so badly! I was almost willing to buy one as my regular phone after their EOL.

But I think now is the time for smartphones to take a page out of the Big N's book. I wouldn't even mind if they straight up ripped off the switch's joy-con setup. Not motion controls, but just a detachable rail system with a New 3DS button layout (and a proper second circle pad) would be sweet as hell for a phone.

If they could devise a kickstand that wasn't an absolute turd and let you charge while you play without spending extra on top of that? Sign me the hell up.
If it wasn't on such an old android OS and could only do 3G/HSPA, I would say you can still buy a new one on eBay for a great price.

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it wasn't on such an old android OS and could only do 3G/HSPA, I would say you can still buy a new one on eBay for a great price.
Yep, aside from the 3G only and old processor, a custom ROM to replace stock Android would probably give it another breath.
I think if Sony had released that phone a year earlier with an actual game lineup it could have been way different. Holy grail would have been dual booting Android and PSP firmware.

EDIT: I forgot that it came with a few pre-installed games and had a very small selection of purchasable games, but I still think it could have had a better game lineup.

Last edited by Lodad,
Reactions: Jonna

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It looks such thin. I think dedicated gaming smartphones is a stupid idea, but you would expect a gaming smartphone to have a extra large battery for gaming compared to "normal" high end smartphones :unsure:

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay...I've seen this recent trend in pc gaming as well : it's pioneered by those who love the medium, but then large corporations start to mess with it and mostly sells you visuals rather than under the hood horsepower.

I also fear that this trend is getting picked up by people who want to look cool rather than use a device. It's cheaper than cars, but generally serves the same purpose (I imagine).

play games on phone without physical controls is like have a sex without using ur own dick.

How is that even enjoyable??
The answer to both is : it's enjoyable if you know how to use your fingers. B-)

Hurtz007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dedicated controls and an AMD embedded CPU are needed in my dream gaming phone... Basically a Smach Z... But it should really exist!

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4 me no sense at all... I always use my phone on battery saving mode and if the battery would last 1 year I would do everything 4 it to last 1 year... the more the better.

I rarely use my phone and when I use other than receiving\making calls or sending\receiving sms is to use web browser or youtube very briefly as when an important call is needed and battery is dead = F* :gun:

It makes way more sense making a gaming Tablet like a next gen Nvidia Shield Tablet, however I still haven't played a android game that I ever wanted to finish I end up installing a few of them and never play on my Nvidia Shield Tablet...

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you may all call me a oldtimer for this but phones are used to call people and not play games on them ever.
I think these so called gaming phones are hot garbage and a waste of your money.
that's where a gaming tablet would feel a bit better as its made simply for entertainment from the get go. besides, theres more space inside a tablet then a phone to pack power into so it would likely either be more powerful, have bettery battery life, or be cheaper since it doesn't need to be as compact.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
4 me no sense at all... I always use my phone on battery saving mode and if the battery would last 1 year I would do everything 4 it to last 1 year... the more the better.
Is this a pick 2 of 3 game?

Cheap, Quality: Nexus
Cheap, Lasts long: Oukitel K10000
Quality, Lasts long: anything with a 4-digit price (or so they want you to believe)

Reactions: Xabring

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is this a pick 2 of 3 game?

Cheap, Quality: Nexus
Cheap, Lasts long: Oukitel K10000
Quality, Lasts long: anything with a 4-digit price (or so they want you to believe)
Here in Quebec, most brand new and newgen smartphone cost around 400-600$
mine costs 450$ iirc
the only one that costs over 1000 are iphone, which isn't really that good
you just pay for the brand name and an half ate apple icon

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here in Quebec, most brand new and newgen smartphone cost around 400-600$
mine costs 450$ iirc
the only one that costs over 1000 are iphone, which isn't really that good
you just pay for the brand name and an half ate apple icon
Plus, I don't know if it works like that everywhere
But we don't just pay 400$ for a phone to our cellphone service provider
we actually pay like 10$/month for x month...

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
You know what I hate most about gaming on phone? My big thumb are cover 30% of the screen which already super tiny.

What game could actually be good when most you can see is you thumbs on the fucking screen?

Reactions: Metoroid0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:O:O $12. Cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but one two ports
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, yeah the patty on McDs burger is 1/10th of a pound now and I think that's the pre cooked weight lol
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I use the app for the 20% off coupon and it's still over priced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, why is mcdonalds overpriced if their food is bad?