Sequel to Razer's gaming phone in development

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    Plant vs Zombies 2

2. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N knows nothing

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Some games do a decent-enough job of estimating what portions of the screen are covered up and designing the UI accordingly. However, many don't. It's especially annoying for emulators, which play games that, more often than not, weren't intended for touch screens. It's incredibly annoying whenever important information is displayed at the bottom left and right of the screen, completely obscured by your thumbs.

3. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    Not great for games that are ported, or made with conventional control schemes in mind. Touch screen games have generally been limited to basic-fare so cheapo phones can play them too. Will phones like this lead to "premium" games that are built with touch screen in mind? Simple controls don't necessarily mean a simple game, though I can't think of any games that would benefit from this. Even switch games have the dedicated controllers.

Actually, yeah, just buy a switch instead. Use the extra 700 to buy a pretty dang fancy phone.

Xabring likes this.
  4. dAVID_

dAVID_ Electrician's Apprentice

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    The Game
    If you want to play videogames with a portable, just buy a Vita/3DS/Switch/GPD XD/Nvidia Tablet.

[​IMG]

5. Song of storms

Song of storms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2018
    Antarctica
    You don't need physical buttons to play games properly on a touchscreen. However, you still need an analog stick. Or you could always buy a bluetooth controller with a phone stand.

Aren't you only 20 years old? The iPhone was a thing when you were 9 and all phones had videogames in your entire lifespan.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

With the rampant piracy on Android phones? Don't count on it.

There's a reason why many game developers in Japan only stick to iOS.

Metoroid0 likes this.
  6. Metoroid0

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    i do. i i alwa need phisical buttons, thats why i i bought bt controller, but id like that to be implemented into phone for easy access like xperia olay, than id call it a gaming phone cause i can GAME on it like i do on vita.

touchscreen or 120hz screen, to me, is a only as a suplemental feature to make experience more interesting, but controller and stream of mayor companies aaa titles is what id call a phone a serious gaming phone.
    if you ask me, i i wou be happy with regular, not 120hz screen, and i wouldnt conplain if touchscreen is gone, or or graf is not that cutting edge, but i would still call phone a gaming phone if it fills those 2 things i listed above.

ofc, phones wont get rid of that features or downgrade graphics and prefirmance, and uts a good thing, but they are not reasons that i would call it a gaming phone. But technically everything that you game on is a gaming device, but im not being technical here, but practical and what i see as a gaming device.
    I do game on my android, but i i wount call that a real gaming experience.
    to me, even a VR is a gimmick and tottally unnessesary, but thats another story. Its a nice feature and way to play, but the most basic things are phisican controlls and mayor game support stream.
    (only thing that i liked using and that i find practical and enjoyable, and its not classic controller is a wii mote and nunchuck. i find it really great when playing meteoid prime on it, i like it even more than keyboard and mouse tbh.)

so in the end its all about practicality and ease of playing games seamlesly on the go as long as phones are concerned...and i cant really take touchscreen games that serious, even phantom ⌛....i always wished and hoped someone patched thaf games to use phisical controlls, but it was a nice game anyway, but it used stylus, and on phone for game like that to work youd need Galaxy Note like stylus that can be compact with the phone and not carying extra bulky capacitive touchscreen pen...its just not practical imo and i personally only need those two basic components so i can call any device a gaming device where i can enjoy as i do with my vita, 3ds, gba, ds...

Last edited by Metoroid0, Sep 4, 2018
  7. Metoroid0

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    This post inspired me to buy Sony Ericsson XPERIA PLAY :lol:
    Really great retro gaming phone!

I thought that trend will catch on but i'm puzzled how it never did....:ph34r::gba:

At least console quality games like ocean horn, implosion etc. (i bought BT controller because of them) so i can call it a gaming phone.

BUT we will always have emulator lol, so i basicly only need a dedicated controller if Android AAA games fail :psp:

Yes, but we are talking about gaming phones.
    I only play portable now on my vita and 3DS.

Last edited by Metoroid0, Sep 4, 2018
  8. Metoroid0

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    Im an oldtimer also, but get this.. Todays phones are everything BUT phones considering many functions they have and raw pover of a device and using it as a phone seems like a feature reather than its primary function, but primarily YES, they are phones that you carry and make deals, contact people, do business, but those people that use phones, are potencial gamers, and instead of having vita in one pocket or switch (allthought i cant imagine switch as a portable, or better yet, pocket device) and phone in another, they have a Gaming phone, that they do things on it as well as play games in spare time (i wish it has a controller though, thats an idea of gaming phone to me at least)
    I agree for curent "gaming" phones, youre right, but xperia play i would hardly call a waste of money if you want 2 devices in one, a gaming device and a phone.
    But buying phone that is same as every other phone just called "gaming" is waste of money indeed!

9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    That's an easy one. I had an xperia play (and would probably still use it if I hadn't lost it at one point). Awesome phone, albeit obviously rather fat even by the standards back then.

The thing is: sony hoped that people would use the predelivered app store to rebuy all sorts of sony goodness. I'm not sure if others did that, but while the preinstalled crash bandicoot game was pretty decent, I never spent a cent on it*. I just installed a couple emulators, put some retro games on it and used it pretty much exclusively as phone, SMS device and (especially) retro gaming console.

Unfortunately, many people acted like me (IIRC you even needed a credit card for purchases, which obviously also hindered the main audience). Continuing the line would mean that it would directly compete with the vita (or even the PSP :unsure:), so they just abandoned the idea.

*for that matter: it took me years before I made my first purchase on android to begin with. :P

Metoroid0 likes this.
  10. Jayenkai

Jayenkai Makes Games

Dec 25, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Bolton, England
    No Controller = Only ever rubbish phone games.

Razer has a "controller compatible" gamestore.
    They bought and own the OUYA store and all the games in there, and then expanded it to be the Razer Cortex "Android games that work best when played with a controller" store.

If they give us a "phone" with a little slideout controller, they ALREADY HAVE a compatible store, with compatible games.
    That's literally all they need to do.

Gaming = Controller .. DO IT RIGHT, THIS TIME, RAZER!!!

(* Note : My view may be slightly biased by the fact that I've created 100 games, which make up about 9% of the OUYA/Cortex storefront.)

Bladexdsl and Metoroid0 like this.
  11. Halvorsen

Halvorsen GBAtemp Addict

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    I don't even have a SIM Card in my phone

12. Metoroid0

Nov 2, 2012
    Japan
    SR388
    i couldnt agree more tbh.

13. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    gaming phones lol what a joke

14. CorpseFlower

CorpseFlower Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2018
    United States
    i would care more about razer phone if wasn't a shape of brick that has massive speaker grills and thick body with no headphone jack.

15. WildDog

WildDog GBAtemp Regular

Aug 13, 2018
    Netherlands
    Expensive for what it is.. The high mhz screen alone does not warrant the price, any flagship phone by Xiaomi will be the same or the beat the crap on performance.
    120 mhz, is pretty pointless when most native games for android are locked at 60 fps, also most of the emulator of retroarch are meant to run either at 30 or 60 fps depending the console.