Sending 3DS to a repair shop, should I backup?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by JimPlayz912, Aug 14, 2019 at 9:29 AM.

1. JimPlayz912
    OP

JimPlayz912 A.K.A. UltraGamer912

Jun 9, 2018
    Greece
    Somewhere, that's for sure ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Many of you know me for uploading 20 posts a day about my R button. So I'm going to send it for repair but...
    I'm scared. What if the technician is like "No problemo ill just format the thing and the heavily damaged R button will be okie dokie!"

Should I backup my NAND and SD card content? (Or atleast send the 3ds without the sd card/stylus/game card etc.)

2. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The backup reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    If I would send a device to an independent repair shop¹ and the technician decides trying to solve a minor² 3DS hardware problem by deleting all user data…
    I would…

However, I recommend backing up your stuff regularly (please have a look at my signature). This has nothing to do with sending something in for repair. Any device, any storage media (like the SD in the 3DS) can fail/corrupt for no reason from one second to the other.

Most important to backup is data that can’t be replaced by any means – in the case of a 3DS this are savegames (personal data) and the NAND image (console unique data). Do yourself a favor and backup the NAND and all saves with Checkpoint and/or JKSM from time to time and copy everything to your computer.

off topic comment

² More serious hardware damage which requires replacing the motherboard makes the NAND image and the SD:/Nintendo 3DS folder mostly useless – although data recovery with ninfs should be possible. But: backing up the decrypted saves before makes everything easier!

3. JimPlayz912
    OP

Jun 9, 2018
    Greece
    ok thanks backup guy/girl/idk

KleinesSinchen likes this.
  4. JimPlayz912
    OP

Jun 9, 2018
    Greece
    Wait, can I just send it without an sd card but only backup my sysNAND?

5. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The backup reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    Technically you can recover everything from the SD with a GodMode9 NAND backup containing essentials.exefs – even if your 3DS is shot to the moon. But you’d better believe me that backups are good – for the NAND and your saves. It takes like five minutes to do a "backup all" with a savemanager – followed by copying the folder to a computer.

A technician behaving like an idiot is not the only threat for your data. I know it's kind of shameless self advertising my own blog entry but I really do not want to repeat everything here – so I hope this is acceptable:

https://gbatemp.net/entry/concept-for-backups.15595/