Senator Lamar Alexander: "Games bigger problem than guns"

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:arrow: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/30/tennessee-senator-calls-games-a-bigger-problem-than-guns
"I'm going to wait and see on all of these bills," Alexander said. "I think video games is a bigger problem than guns, because video games affect people. But the First Amendment limits what we can do about video games and the Second Amendment to the Constitution limits what we can do about guns.

I must admit, he has a point that video games probably do effect more people than guns (simply because they are easier/cheaper to get), but then leaping to say that video games are a bigger problem than guns is kind of a stretch.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Coming soon to a GBAtemp near you
"shit clueless would be politicos say vis a vis games megathread"

OR

New rule: if politico spouts shit it has to be crazier that what came before for you to post about it. Possible slim exception if they are in danger of doing some damage.

Some discussion will probably have to happen first though.

Reactions: Sicklyboy and Qtis

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're a problem in the same way as movies and books are problems. Which is to say, they are an exchange of time for entertainment. They aren't productive per se, but they have the power to make you think, laugh, cry, and just have fun. Guns however kill people.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Next up, Fahrenheit 451! With deadlier content! WITH VIDEO GAMES!

Games can affect a person, just like pretty much anything from an emotional event in life (someone dies for example) to a puppy that makes you happy. The problem isn't the feelings, it's what can be done with them. Games don't have the possibility of killing someone else regardless of emotion, guns do.

Where do people get these ideas? I can imagine NRA is laughing their bottoms off while Hollywood/film industry and the whole gaming industry take the dung from various politicians

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Calling it now: In 2 weeks, another one will come out with an even dumber thing to say. They're trying to 1up each other.

"Yeah? Well watch what I'm going to say, I'm so going to beat you and piss off more people!"
*after*
"DAMN RIGHT! WHO TOLD YA! WHO DA MAN?! IM DA MAN! Alright Frank, FRANK!.... FRAAAAANK!
"WHAT?!"
"You're turn buddy, how many can you piss off? Go"
"Shit alright, give me 2 weeks to prepare everything"

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This just in, stupid old people in politics say stupid things about things they have admitted no understanding of. And SOMEONE voted to put them in office.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Senator Lamar Alexander said:
I can haz brownie points with hysterical soccer moms plz ktnx?

Come on, everyone, hop on the bandwagon, there's votes to be won, no effort needed, just take a stand* against this new evil called "vidya games", and watch the votes start rolling in.

*No actual stand needed.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
These senators probably have already talked about protecting gun interests beforehand, else I do not see how they would all agree on this ridiculous video game scapegoat. Because if we're talking violence, the movies did that for a very long time. This is feels very much like a concerted effort.

Brace yourselves, someone might actually be drafting something in writing to seal the deal.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another old retarded windbag who is talking out his ass. Let me guess, this guy is a Republican? Very few Democrats blame video games for the violence, because they aren't stupid enough to continue defending an amendment that has no relevancy in modern society. Also, 1st Amendment overrides the 2nd iirc.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Tell me when someone actually commits the act of murder (that's removing someone's ability to live) using a copy of GTA4. Only then will I agree with this senile fool.

My memory might be a bit foggy, but the last time a senator named "Lamar" got involved in technology, I remember the freedom of the internet was threatened...
I thought this too.. I vote to remove anyone from American politics named "Lamar". Those Lamars only cause trouble.

Lamar_Smith%2C_Official_Portrait%2C_c112th_Congress.jpg

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok