TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Tell me when someone actually commits the act of murder (that's removing someone's ability to live) using a copy of GTA4. Only then will I agree with this senile fool.
Supposedly, that DID happen within the last decade or so.. If I remember correctly, a pair of kids plotted a murder in grand theft auto and carried it out in real life.

Don't quote me on that, though.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Supposedly, that DID happen within the last decade or so.. If I remember correctly, a pair of kids plotted a murder in grand theft auto and carried it out in real life.

Don't quote me on that, though.

GTA4 does seems to make people do stupid things, however, so can movies, and books, and basically any other human influence. It's how we work. And unless the murder weapon was the actual box, and not a bullet, games will never be a bigger problem than guns.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure I remember bludgeoning people with a candlestick in Clue about 20 years ago... But he's right. There was no such thing as make believe violence until videogames came along...

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure I remember bludgeoning people with a candlestick in Clue about 20 years ago... But he's right. There was no such thing as make believe violence until videogames came along...

Really? You never ran around in your parents back yard, making little guns with your hands and saying "bang bang!" with friends? Or grabbing sticks and swinging them around like swords? I remember doing stuff like that, and for the longest time, the only games my parents would let us play was edutainment games. Most shooting I ever did before we got a N64 was hunting in Oregon Trail II.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tell me when someone actually commits the act of murder (that's removing someone's ability to live) using a copy of GTA4. Only then will I agree with this senile fool.

I thought this too.. I vote to remove anyone from American politics named "Lamar". Those Lamars only cause trouble.

Lamar_Smith%2C_Official_Portrait%2C_c112th_Congress.jpg

I'd go even farther and say get all these old bastards out and get some fresh faces in. We need more 30 year olds in Congress and the Senate as they probably have a better grasp on current day tech.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the people who wonder why guys like this get elected to office, here's your answer. They make sweeping generalizations in a bid for quick, cheap publicity, and we're all too happy to oblige.

Anyway, the charge is the same old, same old nonsense. Let's pretend that his wild accusation is true, that video games had some influence here. If you wouldn't ban The Beatles because Charles Manson thought "Helter Skelter" foretold of a race war, so why is this artistic medium any more valid a target for censorship?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you wouldn't ban The Beatles because Charles Manson thought "Helter Skelter" foretold of a race war, so why is this artistic medium any more valid a target for censorship?

The Legend of Zelda made me hate black people. Like I just booted it up and I was like "Wow, white supremacy is the best."

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? You never ran around in your parents back yard, making little guns with your hands and saying "bang bang!" with friends? Or grabbing sticks and swinging them around like swords? I remember doing stuff like that, and for the longest time, the only games my parents would let us play was edutainment games. Most shooting I ever did before we got a N64 was hunting in Oregon Trail II.
Someone's sarcasm detector is defective...

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, there are quite a few people who do take videogames too seriously. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you're going to use it, but some people (especially very young children who can't tell the difference between fiction and fact who are exposed to GTA) don't understand that killing people is wrong. And that is why videogames are being targeted.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, there are quite a few people who do take videogames too seriously. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you're going to use it, but some people (especially very young children who can't tell the difference between fiction and fact who are exposed to GTA) don't understand that killing people is wrong. And that is why videogames are being targeted.
That's why there's a rating system in the first place. If a parent buys their nine year old GTA, they are the ones at fault, not the fucking video game. If your kid grows up to be a serial killer because of a video game, chances are you failed at parenting in the first place.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well...at least this senator makes an actual argument. Video games do affect people. Of course this goes for practically everything in a degree (including guns), but as far as these fashion statements go, this guy somewhat makes sense.
Perhaps he can even explain how that comparison is supposed to make sense (I can claim that air affects people*, but that doesn't automatically make it a bigger problem than guns).

*try taking it away from someone and you'll see a definite reaction

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why there's a rating system in the first place. If a parent buys their nine year old GTA, they are the ones at fault, not the fucking video game. If your kid grows up to be a serial killer because of a video game, chances are you failed at parenting in the first place.
I understand that. You have to realize that it's not only kids who have this problem, though. There are plenty of adults who can't tell the difference between fiction and reality too.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand that. You have to realize that it's not only kids who have this problem, though. There are plenty of adults who can't tell the difference between fiction and reality too.
In which case psychological help is sorely needed and they're totally responsible for their actions as an adult.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Chasers and homophobia.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They're very common on social media.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ik about the phobias Im used to it but what's a chaser
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Whoever you disclose your gender identity to, keep it private between your friends.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    irl or online
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Always is online.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Pretty much.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    eh I don't keep it private, not much happens except idiots on TikTok making a fool of themselves
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    im still curious as to what a chaser is tho
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    A chaser is someone who uses (mostly trans) individuals to their advantage like I said.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    thats weird
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    blahaj will keep me safe
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    damn I forget my school blocks every video
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Right, yeah.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    dune 2 popcorn bucket
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many schools use some form of firewall or protection, to prevent certain types of content from being viewable.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, And that haha
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school blocks stuff but allows some stuff, its annoying, they legit can see our screens if they want
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Nah. That popcorns got sand in it :(
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There was a time where we were able to bypass the school's network using a VPN that wasn't blocked on the radar. Can't exactly remember the name, but I was able to watch YouTube.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I used to go on proxy sites but I'm too lazy and it isn't worth it
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use