Semi-stock vs reboot to OFW option?

Adventure2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In Hekate if I click launch one of the options I have is an icon that says Semi-stock that boots me into sysnand. This is where I would play official games online. Is this way of booting into sysnand the same as clicking the power option in Hekate, selecting reboot then selecting OFW? Is the reboot a safer way to do it?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Is this way of booting into sysnand the same as clicking the power option in Hekate, selecting reboot then selecting OFW?
No. Semi-stock uses Hekate as bootloader, while reboot to OFW uses official bootloader. Main differences are:
- Hekate bootloader won't blow your fuses,
- official bootloader is always compatible with FW you have installed (if f.e. 18.0.0 would release tomorrow and you would install it, you wouldn't be able to boot semi-stock until you update Hekate to version supporting 18.0.0)

Adventure2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No. Semi-stock uses Hekate as bootloader, while reboot to OFW uses official bootloader. Main differences are:
- Hekate bootloader won't blow your fuses,
- official bootloader is always compatible with FW you have installed (if f.e. 18.0.0 would release tomorrow and you would install it, you wouldn't be able to boot semi-stock until you update Hekate to version supporting 18.0.0)
Thanks for the response. I am new to this and haven't got a grasp what it all means yet. In short, are there any negatives booting to Stock thru Hekate as bootloader and playing online legit games? Is there a higher chance of being banned or is it pretty safe?

timidIntensegirl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the response. I am new to this and haven't got a grasp what it all means yet. In short, are there any negatives booting to Stock thru Hekate as bootloader and playing online legit games? Is there a higher chance of being banned or is it pretty safe?
I'm fairly new at this myself, but it looks like that is safe and the recommended way to boot OFW. See:

- r/SwitchPirates/comments/12vjj48/i_dont_see_a_option_to_boot_into_the_ofw/
- r/SwitchPirates/comments/t6yspe/is_it_safe_to_boot_into_stock_with_hekate/

Steven8891

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Semi boot don't appear in hekate. What should i do? I just hack my v1 switch. I want to find a way to transfer save game from stock and continue to play that save game on CFW

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Semi boot don't appear in hekate. What should i do? I just hack my v1 switch. I want to find a way to transfer save game from stock and continue to play that save game on CFW
The launch options are in the hekate_ipl.ini that normally comes with your sig patches.

I don't know where OP got his hekate_ipl.ini from. But in the sigpatches from https://gbatemp.net/threads/sigpatches-for-atmosphere-hekate-fss0-fusee-package3.571543/ the option is called "Stock - sysMMC"

Not sure if homebrew can be accessed with the stock option. In any case there is a safer option, which only requires RCM mode to extract the saves. https://suchmememanyskill.github.io/guides/switchextractsaves/
The Lockpick_RCM link there is dead so use this https://github.com/Decscots/Lockpick_RCM/releases

Reactions: Steven8891

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs. +1