Semi Bricked 4.3 Japanese Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Super.Nova, Jul 15, 2012.

Jul 15, 2012
  1. Super.Nova
    OP

Member Super.Nova GBAtemp Regular

Saudi Arabia
    As simple as the title suggests.
    I've been handed a Wii by a friend of mine who wanted me to install HBC and all, only to find that it got semi bricked without having any kind of homebrew whatsoever.
    The system menu is in Japanese and I can't get to the settings menu as you've already guessed.

All tutorials I found speak of installing bannerbomb which isn't working (thus concluded it's on 4.3) and gave absolutely no reaction once accessed the SD card.
    Installing letterbomb requires MAC address and I can't reach that in my state.

Please help me, templars!!!

2. Frank Cadena

Member Frank Cadena GBAtemp Fan

Brunei
    If it's on 4.3, you could try using letterbomb, since bannerbomb doesn't work on 4.3, though you would need to know the MAC address of the Wii for that to work.

3. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Can you get to the data management screen to copy a savefile to the SD card?

4. eleventh

Newcomer eleventh Member

South Africa
    Can you connect to a Wifi network? If so, you should be able to see the Wii's MAC address on the router.

5. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    If the wii is was ever setup to use a wifi network, and is set to default use that network, use the aircrack suite to sniff its mac address. Or just use smash stack jap.

6. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    If its useless don't post.

7. Super.Nova
    OP

Saudi Arabia
    The Wii is from my friend and it was never set to work with my router ---> cant get MAC address from there.

I found a way to extract the MAC address from any save file created on a console and it worked in my case.
    It appears the Wii was originally 4.2 Japanese and was updated to 4.3 US.
    It was a missy situation but I managed thanks to the scene.

BTW the MAC extracting app is called "FE100-1.2b".
    With this, you can install HomeBrew Channel on a semi bricked Wii and continue with changing region to your liking.
    I changed it to US 4.1 then updated to latest via Wi(damn)Fi and letterbombed with goodies : )

8. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Well if it works. I can't see much reason a US resident would want to import a Japanese Wii to softmod to US. Seems like a waste of money. The opposite would be more cost effective. US Wiis are everywhere here, Japanese are not.

9. Super.Nova
    OP

Saudi Arabia
    I don't exactly know where my friend got this from, but I believe he bought it secondhand to the original user.
    He's not much of a Wii gamer (until I converted him in a match of SSBB!) so he didn't give it much thought.