Seeking advice on capture USBs for streaming games

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Kazekai, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Kazekai
    OP

Kazekai GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    United States
    Short version: Looking for some advice on a capture device for streaming gameplay from a console, something under $50-$60 is the budget range. I don't need something with uber quality but I would prefer it to have a respectable lifespan and of average quality. I use composite cables with all of my consoles and as I understand it from researching cheaper capture devices, that's rather standard for capture USBs and isn't a problem for me.

Long version: OH MY GOD I HATE SIXTH GEN EMULATION SO MUCH! Today, I tried to do a Wind Waker playthrough on Dolphin and not only does DSP LLE lag horrendously on my machine (which is groan-worthy enough, nothing should ever lag on my machine) but when I turned it off to make the game playable despite putting up with sound inaccuracies, the game froze on Windfall Island, making me have to do the fortress again, and when I re-enabled LLE after reading that it can fix blackscreens, the game froze. So then I spent roughly an hour trying to get the 64x version to work, since I run a 64x OS, but for some reason the 64 bit version just doesn't want to work and no suggestion has been helpful It worked before, one time, but never again. I honestly suspect Dolphin of corrupting DLL files but have no proof other than its outward behavior.

And this is not the only frustration I have with emulators either, it just happens to be the straw that broke the camel's back. Not to rag on the developers, because I'm certain they are trying their hardest, but emulating 6th gen consoles is beyond frustrating. Half the games I want to stream, even when I rip them myself, don't work properly because post-processing doesn't work or it uses some obscure function of a console nobody knows anything about or it gets its graphical effects from some glitch that's hard to duplicate or some other reason that basically boils down to: Consoles don't work like PCs. The only way to even get some games to run without incredibly jarring graphical problems is to run them in software mode, and then your tradeoff is basically proper graphical emulation for horrible game-breaking lag. Want to run Okami with proper post-processing effects? We'll just cut your framerate in half, good luck LPing that!

So TL;DR I'm tired of 6th generation emulators and the migraines they induce. Since I want to stream lots of games, I'm willing to grab a cheap device that will let me do this.

The two devices I've seen being recommended the most are easycam and dazzle, the latter either being recommended over the former or being labelled as something to avoid because it doesn't last very long. I'm curious to know if anyone can recommend either one or another USB I haven't seen yet.

As an aside, I have no idea if this is the right subforum for this kind of question, but it seemed like the best place to ask. Sorry if I happened to miss the right subforum in my nerd rage.

2. jargus

jargus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    United States
    Depends on whether you to play on your screen splitter with your TV. If the latter, just about any on the market will work fine. Just look up one Amazon and choose what think is the best (but stay away from Roxio). The Diamond VC is a popular choice. If the former, your options for USB are limited. Most USB capture devices have a delay of up to several seconds before appearing on your preview screen. Honestech and Easycap are probably your best bet here. Alternatively, you could get an internal card to do it, but those are more in the $100 range. If you do have extra to spend I'd recommend getting a Black Magic Intensity as they are pretty the best around for this sort of thing. Avermedia Game Broadcaster is also a good choice for internal a but is twice your budget.

3. 3bbb7

3bbb7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 28, 2012
    United States
    I have never been able to get my easycap working no matter what except for 1 time, where sound wasn't even working. I don't recommend it

4. Kazekai
    OP

Kazekai GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    United States
    Thanks for replying, I always seem to find the best help on these boards. I plan on streaming from my TV, but will be watching the TV instead of the monitor, so delay is only a problem for the people watching. If I understood the advice correctly, that option has a lot of alternatives?

Will look into Diamond VC, I looked at Roxio but it's pretty expensive. I would probably consider a capture card if I could ever make a profit off videos but it's too much of an expense otherwise. Nonetheless the recommendation's appreciated.

5. Kazekai
    OP

Kazekai GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    United States
    So since I'm really awful with hardware and Google is not answering my question (regardless of how I frame it) I was wondering if it would be possible to stream gameplay from a TV while actually viewing/playing the game from said TV. I found this http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC500...TF8&qid=1372224274&sr=8-1&keywords=diamond+VC and once saw a video tutorial for Easycap on how to do the same thing, but cannot find it now.

Basically, this is what I'm wondering:
    I need to connect the AV cables into the device but then I can't hook them into my TV.

I thought about using these: http://www.amazon.com/Gino-Audio-Splitter-Adapter-Female/dp/B007HIIB4K/ref=pd_sim_pc_17 and this: http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Audio-Video-Cable-feet/dp/B000V0DY7U/ref=pd_sim_pc_13 to get the result I wanted, remembering the tutorial said something about using these but not sure.

Sorry for the double-post but I thought it would get more attention than editing the last one.

6. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    To capture video from my wii I have a generic internal(pci) analog tv tuner that also captures from external sources and conveniently my tv has video-out, so I connect the wii to my tv then connect the video-out to the capturer, if your tv doesn't have something like that then you can use a rca splitter to connect the tv and capturer at the same time and cancel the lag.