Second graphics card?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by legendofphil, Jan 10, 2009.

Jan 10, 2009

Second graphics card? by legendofphil at 9:13 PM (976 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. legendofphil
    OP

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Is it possible/wise to buy a second graphics card just for hooking up my desktop machine to my TV?
    My current graphics card is all I need for gaming but it doesn't support scaling (over HDMI) to correct overscan.
    I was thinking something cheap like a GeForce 9400 GT.

2. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    As far as I know, you need the exact same video card, and it must be SLI compatible, so does your motherboard. Your powersupply needs to be powerful enough too.

3. legendofphil
    OP

United Kingdom
    I don't want SLi and my motherboard has 3 PCIe 16x slots.

4. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Then yes, should be possible. BTW mismatched SLI works too but would be bad as whatever card you have in there will be pulled (down) to the specs of the other card (assuming it has the same core). Not sure if you use hardware decoding for movies how that affects displaying over the other card though.

Anyway do a google, there are more people out there who do the same thing (but AFAIK they tend to use it for quad-display and such rather then a TV, but in essence that should be the same). Some experience might be better then a guestimate [​IMG].

Westside has a point on the PSU btw..

P.S. Are you sure it is your video card that is the problem rather then your TV?

5. legendofphil
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yes I am sure its my graphics card, even Nvidia say it is and they released a fix which doesn't work.
    My PSU should be okay on a low powered card.