Sea of Thieves becomes Microsoft's "fastest-selling" IP of the generation

Skeleton-Fort_1-hero.png

Rare's latest game appears to be a massive success, according to Microsoft, as Sea of Thieves has become the company's fastest selling new IP of the Xbox One generation, and the #1 first party game on Windows 10. The game managed to get over one million players on the day it launched, which actually caused huge server issues for many players, but once resolved, the game shot up to two million players by the end of the week. This game marked the first instance of a Microsoft game being playable on launch through the Game Pass service, where players can rent a library of games for $10 a month. Sea of Thieves also managed to top the sales charts for the UK on the week it released, outselling games like Ni No Kuni 2 and A Way Out.

:arrow: Source

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its a game that's fun for a while, but gets old pretty quickly with nothing of any real value to work toward. Great to see an exclusive game selling well for the Xbone, but, at the same time a shame that such an overall mediocre game is the game that is the fastest selling IP for Microsoft this gen. Still, it could become a substantially better game if they issue the right kind of content updates, I'm sure it will get better in time, but I question if it will ever reach the missed potential that I do see within the title.

Reactions: Deleted User

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you only refer to infinite warfare, modern warfare 3, ghosts and probably advanced warfare, then we can agree on that.

The only reason why COD is still around is because People defend the bad ones and Treyarch is still making games lol. Ive never really liked IW or sledges games lol So I think most of us can agree to what you said.

Last edited by Lumince,
Reactions: DeslotlCL

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yeah I wouldn’t listen to some moron on YouTube to be honest. The sales figures don’t lie.
except people sometimes buy the games and then they regret, no to mention preety much all of the players come from windows, they saw a new mmo pirate game and they said, heck why not and bought it, this will be those mmos that in 2 months is basicaly dead in the water.

Last edited by pedro702,

Oleboy555

Trophies
Website
3ds.guide
XP
Country
Netherlands
have any of you fools actually played this game? it is great and a ton of fun with friends, you can get the game for free for 14 days by signing up for the xbox game pass trial

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
have any of you fools actually played this game? it is great and a ton of fun with friends, you can get the game for free for 14 days by signing up for the xbox game pass trial
if you readed most people have and they say the game is fun for a couple of hours, until you realize there is basicaly no progression,reward for doing preety much anything that is worth it.

Reactions: Lumince

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, its fun for the first few hours, and then you realize there isn't much more to it. It is very reminiscent of No Man's Sky, in how it's really fun at first, but quickly gets old and boring. At least to Sea of Thieves credit, it has legit online multiplayer that does keep you invested for a bit longer than No Man's Sky, but all the same it still gets boring relatively quickly.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Don't have an xbox. I like to see what other games are on the console to see if its worth purchasing or not.
Cuphead does have my attention. I played that game its a lot of fun. Might get an Xbox some time in the future when prices go down.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
You we're basically sold the foundation of a game that might've been good, if the other 90% was finished.

"Most successful IP of this console generation"? Just wait till those two week Game Pass trials expire. And then maybe two more weeks for those who bought it to give up because the game literally has nothing. There's NOTHING to do! The player drop-off is gonna be immense.

Reactions: digipimp75

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that great of numbers when you consider that most of those players probably did not actually buy the game and played it through the xbox game pass service.
This is what I was going to say. We need the separate data to really determine what these numbers mean. We need full-price and game pass sales separated and on top of that, we need to know whether each game pass sale was an active subscriber, a free trial, or renewed subscriber that cancelled after a month.

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I take it you haven't seen or care for any of NMS's updates.
Anyone calling it No Man's Sea is probably comparing the launch versions of each game.

Last edited by AaronUzumaki,

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone call8ng it No Man's Sea is probably comparing the launch versions of each game.
That's fair, I didn't really consider that. Sorry @Xzi.

On another note, I've never even heard of this game until now. I take it it's just co-op piracy or something?

Last edited by 8BitWonder,

AaronUzumaki

A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

On another note, I've never even heard of this game until now. I take it it's just cool piracy or something?
It's a really cool team-reliant pirate game with really solid mechanics and a cool(ish) world. That is until you realize there's only three quests and couple of other things to discover before you've basically completed the game. All you can do after that is grind the same quests and enemies to level up your 3 faction levels, which as far as I'm aware, does nothing for you but eventually increase the objective count of the quests, but the added objectives are just the same objective.

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the game is awful

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah I wouldn’t listen to some moron on YouTube to be honest. The sales figures don’t lie.
wtf do sales figures have to do with quality of the game? is that a joke?

Xbox gamers were starving for a exclusive game that wasn't a FPS for a long time

Reactions: Lumince
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States

On another note, I've never even heard of this game until now. I take it it's just co-op piracy or something?
It was basically Microsoft's big Xbox exclusive for some time and touted as Rare's big comeback. It's a multiplayer pirate game where you do basically nothing. You can sail around, grief people (no PVP safe zones), or do one of three kinds of repetitive fetch quests. You can get a treasure map and dig up an easy to find chest, you can kill skeletons, or you can find animals. Even the most bare bones MMO fetch quests seem like GOTY-worthy gameplay in comparison.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Congratulations you pre-ordering morons! You just paid for a vague promise of content be added later!

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Its a great wasteland of water that has minimal replayability. It gets stale rather quickly. Wasted 20 hours to find that I'm better off playing Destiny 2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu