Scene dev Zecoxao teases new $3 modchip for the OLED Nintendo Switch, involves a Raspberry Pi

asddasdsa.png

Scene developer Zecoxao might be known for their contributions to the PlayStation hacking world, but this time around, they've got something major for the Nintendo scene. The longtime scener teased the existence of what they claim to be a $3 modchip for the Nintendo Switch, and which is said to work with Mariko and OLED systems, though not patched Erista consoles. A teaser video was also uploaded, where the modchip itself was revealed to be a Raspberry Pi--specifically, a RP2040 Zero unit, soldered into the Switch board, demonstrating Hekate launching on an OLED unit.

Given the tease of "coming soon", we can expect to see more details about the exploit eventually.

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/notzecoxao/status/1602079473628856320

Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/notzecoxao/status/1602199810358083587

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What's the chance that this actually comes out instead of Zecoxao getting a threatening letter from Nintendo and cancelling the project?
A race against time. But note zecoxao has been said not to be the original developer

he's a tester so it's out there already
I've not seen it posted anywhere that he was a tester before this

So glad I got two of them

I've got 2.5 personally 🤣🤣

Chonay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
@Chonay and how this PS3 picture related to the topic?
Holy crap, well, mine was screwed up hahaha, it's like the one who uploaded it had the same titles when I mentioned the economic hwfly and also with this image and well, the module that you have there has an rp2040, it's not the zero, It's a pi, but well, I thought it was the same, and I didn't put much thought into it when I saw what it had, but now, well, I already managed to notice that it's a ps

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Considering all modchips so far required an fpga, not even a microcontroller is fast enough it seems.
The RaspberryPi has a DMA controller and that can potentially be used to quickly inject data over a GPIO port, synced on the clock of the Switch.
That is all the FPGA is doing.

Reactions: zfreeman

bbsan2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It all depends on how the software is setup. If it is (like spacecraft) only some kind of injection mechanism, there’s nothing that can be illegal about it. Of course Ninty won’t be happy, but it is what it is;-)

Jefix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Damn, with each passing day I feel more and more like this project will never be released. Release would have been a great New Year's present.

Reactions: impeeza

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
The RaspberryPi has a DMA controller and that can potentially be used to quickly inject data over a GPIO port, synced on the clock of the Switch.
That is all the FPGA is doing.
The FPGA is used for very precise glitching. Timing is extremely important and most microcontrollers are not fast enough for generating pulses with nanosecond timing. PIO on the RP2040 MCU makes this kinda timing possible and repeatable with a few limitations where FPGAs still got an edge.

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yes would be a nice christmas or new year present.
Even if the dev decides against a release.
The info is out there and sooner or later someone will release software for it.

Reactions: gol300

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Damn, with each passing day I feel more and more like this project will never be released. Release would have been a great New Year's present.
I mean I guess it depends how far in along development it was

Yes would be a nice christmas or new year present.
Even if the dev decides against a release.
The info is out there and sooner or later someone will release software for it.
It would be a nice present but I've been around long enough to projects die in this stage. Looking at the dragoninjector and the like.

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I mean I guess it depends how far in along development it was

It would be a nice present but I've been around long enough to projects die in this stage. Looking at the dragoninjector and the like.
Dragoninjector was an easy target for nintendo. But they can't suppress the production of RP2040-Zero Chips.
The right software is just a matter of time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...