SCDSTWO SNES Emulator Beta soon

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorrycostello said:
GP2X is dual core 240mhz, should be comparable to the SCDS2's 360mhz + the DS's internal 2x 67mhz.
Clock speeds are hardly comparable. GP2X uses an ARM9 processor, whereas the SCDS2 uses a MIPS processor. There is a difference in RAM (I can't find how much RAM the SCDS2 has, but I bet it's not the same as the GP2X's 64MB, and probably at a different speed also).

All in all, there are so many significant differences between the two, it's impossible to make a straight comparison based on clock speed. SCDS2 could be faster or slower for SNES, but we can't really tell until the emulator comes out.

Hell, hardware aside, one emulator could be better optimized than the other. Just look at the state of SNES emulation on the PC: BSNES has ridiculous hardware requirements compared to SNES9x or ZSNES, but even among the two fast ones, they share pretty much no code, and aren't likely to have the same level of performance on a slow enough machine.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pong20302000 said:
games not working
Code:
Mega Man X2 
Mega Man X3
Super Mario Kart
Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Star Fox / Starwing
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

My reaction

FUUUU_RE_FFFFFUUUU_Pizza-s508x387-44250.jpg

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/t250429-dstwo-sfc-emulator-v1-0-beta

Just checked here, and from what lilsypha said, games with special chips do in fact run, but are slow as hell when use of those chips occur, to a point that they really do become unplayable. That at least says the chips are implemented imo, and that tweaks or recoding of them would help.

One thing I was just thinking about was the audio emulation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Nintend...nt_System#Audio

Now, I don't know how the SNES emulator handles the audio, but if it is doing it all on the DSTWO itself, then what if they were to move it to the NDS on the ARM7 side? The audio subsystem is said to be self-contained, in that it pretty much works independently from everything else, so if they did that, that would shave from processing time for other things. PocketSPC is an example of an SPC player on the NDS.

A problem though is whether or not the DSTWO is even capable of doing this kind of move. From what I can tell, the DSTWO is only capable of outputting in an image and audio format, and the receiving program on the DS side uses that information to display the image and play the audio. If the receiving program is not limited to just image and audio, but is actually programmable, then it might just work.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nl255 said:
Any idea if the unpacked 96MB version of Star Ocean works? I know the normal version requires SDD-1 emulation but someone made a hacked version that does not need any special chip support so that it would work on carts like the RetroZone SNES PowerPak. Unfortunately, it might be too large to run on the DSTwo.

I will test for you.

PeregrinFig said:
If Secret of Mana, Earthbound, Castlevania IV and the translated DQVI work

Yes, yes, yes and yes. However with Secret of Mana there's some corruption on the initial name select screen where you can't read anything. I ended up naming my character 'A', lol. Game works fine after that.

QUOTE(murkurie @ Aug 26 2010, 08:40 AM)
as long as Zelda, and donkey kong work, I'll be fine with it

Yes and yes. (If you mean Donkey Kong Country.)

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
lilsypha said:
However with Secret of Mana there's some corruption on the initial name select screen where you can't read anything. I ended up naming my character 'A', lol. Game works fine after that.

The likely cause of that is because of the graphics mode the SNES uses, which is 512x(448/478) interlaced. Most early emulators had this problem as well.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DiscostewSM said:
lilsypha said:
However with Secret of Mana there's some corruption on the initial name select screen where you can't read anything. I ended up naming my character 'A', lol. Game works fine after that.

The likely cause of that is because of the graphics mode the SNES uses, which is 512x(448/478) interlaced. Most early emulators had this problem as well.

I'm aware, I forgot to include a high-res game in my initial testing.
smile.gif

More requests from IRC..

- Star Ocean (translated): Working, some crackle in the audio during the intro video. Spoken audio is so muffled it can barely be made out. Game appears to play fine. Wind sound effect after the opening video plays correctly, interestingly enough. One of the nicest most readable fonts in my testing so far.

Seiken Densetsu 3 (translated): Same text corruption during character select, and dialog text is all corrupted as well. Same problem as with Secret of Mana, for the same reason. Actual gameplay is ok.

7th Saga: Works great.

Metal Max Returns: Works great. Both (J) and translated.

Mystic Quest Legend: Works great.

Lufia: Works great.

Dragon Quest IV: Works great.

sdragon21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@lilsypha

Would it be possible if you could test the following Fan & Retranslation Games:
Breath Of Fire 2 Retranslation
Treasure Of The Rudras
Mystic Ark (Aeon Genesis Version)
FEDA: The Emblem Of Justie
Slayers
Tactics Ogre

Thanks!!!

rocketen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dissapointed that seiken densetsu 3 doesn't work correctly though I suppose high res support out of the box was a bit much to ask for.
Still, should be possible since the're supported on snes9x4d on dingux.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd love to know, ROMHACKS.

Super Demo World: The Legend Continues
Super Metroid Redesign
Legend of Zelda: Parallel Worlds

How does SNEmulDS handle these rom hacks?

default2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So im guessing this wont get ported to other flashcarts, right?
mmmm....
off topic someone should update the current genesis emu since its as buggy as SnesemulDS

jakeyjake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too would love a genesis emu on dstwo, but we'll just have to wait until at least the sdk is out, then probably a while after then. :'(

I want to play pocohantas! lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up