Hardware Scared!

Christen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all, I just got a Wiikey installed in my Wii. I've been browsing other forums, and from what I've read Nintendo can brick your Wii at anytime with the new update. I already know that Gamecube backups and the Wiikey setup disc dosn't work at the moment until Wiikey makes a new update. So, should I basically just leave my Wii offline until theres a update for the chip and not try any newer game backups? Thanks for clearing any confusion.
smile.gif

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have the chip installed, you can update all you want. But as of now, you can not install a wiikey after updating to 3.0E

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not true. if your wiikey is preconfigured like it should be, then it'd be fine. and if it isn't, there's ways of making discs boot now. not a perfect solution but it works. doesn't have to involve gcos either.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Gamecube backups still work after the update.

Only homebrew disc made using mkisofs (such as the WiiKey disc) don't work, but there are other ways to use Wiikey's tools through GCOS.

Christen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks a lot. My Wiikey was profesionally installed by modchip.ca earlier this week before news of the update started coming up. So I can update to 3.0U, buy virtual console games and play online with backups without having to worry about Nintendo trying to brick my Wii? Also, I'd be able to install further Wiikey updates?

Christen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think I'm going to leave my Wii offline until theres a Wiikey update. I'm going to delete its net connection.

pbskidz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're worried about the conflicts that come up as a result of using online then a mod chip isn't for you.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you should leave it online...updating through wiiconect 24 is the safest way to do it when you have a modchip..its the game updates that can brick your wii(if they aren't in your region)

3.0 firmware just makes it so it cant read el torito header style discs.. should still play backups without that heading.

plus, nintendo will never update itself, it will inform you first and you can decide to shut it off if you are unsure if you want to update or not

i would update to 3.0 through wiiconnect and use only backups from your own region

use something like regionfrii or brickblocker to check and make sure they definitely are your region..

you're all set, dont worry

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
wasn't there a 1.2b config disc done for 3.0 posted on these forums a couple weeks back... just use that

or am i missing a point somehow ? i'm interested as i will be attempting a wiikey install myself soon.

edit.... http://btmg.freehostia.com/upload/config1.2b.zip direct boot 1.2(b) disc for 3.0 firmware (no longer needs to be swapped with original 1.2(b) apparently) ....link obtained from wiinewz

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot. My Wiikey was profesionally installed by modchip.ca earlier this week before news of the update started coming up. So I can update to 3.0U, buy virtual console games and play online with backups without having to worry about Nintendo trying to brick my Wii? Also, I'd be able to install further Wiikey updates?
I bought my from modchip.ca too. It's completely updated, has a few VC games and the extra channels, and I have had no problems with it so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.