Scared!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Christen, Aug 12, 2007.

Aug 12, 2007

Scared! by Christen at 6:21 AM (1,520 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Christen
    OP

Member Christen GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hi all, I just got a Wiikey installed in my Wii. I've been browsing other forums, and from what I've read Nintendo can brick your Wii at anytime with the new update. I already know that Gamecube backups and the Wiikey setup disc dosn't work at the moment until Wiikey makes a new update. So, should I basically just leave my Wii offline until theres a update for the chip and not try any newer game backups? Thanks for clearing any confusion. [​IMG]

2. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    If you have the chip installed, you can update all you want. But as of now, you can not install a wiikey after updating to 3.0E

3. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    not true. if your wiikey is preconfigured like it should be, then it'd be fine. and if it isn't, there's ways of making discs boot now. not a perfect solution but it works. doesn't have to involve gcos either.

4. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Gamecube backups still work after the update.

Only homebrew disc made using mkisofs (such as the WiiKey disc) don't work, but there are other ways to use Wiikey's tools through GCOS.

5. Christen
    OP

Canada
    Thanks a lot. My Wiikey was profesionally installed by modchip.ca earlier this week before news of the update started coming up. So I can update to 3.0U, buy virtual console games and play online with backups without having to worry about Nintendo trying to brick my Wii? Also, I'd be able to install further Wiikey updates?

6. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No one knows what the future brings. Except psychics, ask them...

7. Christen
    OP

Canada
    I think I'm going to leave my Wii offline until theres a Wiikey update. I'm going to delete its net connection.

8. pbskidz

Newcomer pbskidz Member

United States
    If you're worried about the conflicts that come up as a result of using online then a mod chip isn't for you.

9. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    you should leave it online...updating through wiiconect 24 is the safest way to do it when you have a modchip..its the game updates that can brick your wii(if they aren't in your region)

3.0 firmware just makes it so it cant read el torito header style discs.. should still play backups without that heading.

plus, nintendo will never update itself, it will inform you first and you can decide to shut it off if you are unsure if you want to update or not

i would update to 3.0 through wiiconnect and use only backups from your own region

use something like regionfrii or brickblocker to check and make sure they definitely are your region..

you're all set, dont worry

10. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    wasn't there a 1.2b config disc done for 3.0 posted on these forums a couple weeks back... just use that

or am i missing a point somehow ? i'm interested as i will be attempting a wiikey install myself soon.

edit.... http://btmg.freehostia.com/upload/config1.2b.zip direct boot 1.2(b) disc for 3.0 firmware (no longer needs to be swapped with original 1.2(b) apparently) ....link obtained from wiinewz

11. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    I bought my from modchip.ca too. It's completely updated, has a few VC games and the extra channels, and I have had no problems with it so far.