Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

anthony001

Trophies
XP
Country
what are the pre requisite in order to play games on my switch? im still on 11.0.1 ofw
can anyone give me more detailed step by step on how to play saturn games. the front page is kinda lacking in detail

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Super Tempo is labelled as working in the google doc, but I can't get it to work with the default settings in the hack-script, Is there a custom .ini or does it need to 4mb ram card for some reason?

TOG914

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

I was using the "Ultimate Switch Hacking Script" to create a new Saturn emulation nsp when I noticed a small bug. If you opt to use a custom ini file to try and improve performance, the script skips over the option to use the 4mb expansion and/or widescreen. which means if you use a custom ini file, you don't have the option to use the 4mb expansion or widescreen.

Using GENERIC ini config file (Allows for 4mb ram and widescreen)
1639704655610.png

Using CUSTOM ini config file (No option for 4mb ram and widescreen)
1639704674816.png

Has anyone else noticed and, if so, found a solution?

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello all,

I was using the "Ultimate Switch Hacking Script" to create a new Saturn emulation nsp when I noticed a small bug. If you opt to use a custom ini file to try and improve performance, the script skips over the option to use the 4mb expansion and/or widescreen. which means if you use a custom ini file, you don't have the option to use the 4mb expansion or widescreen.

Using GENERIC ini config file (Allows for 4mb ram and widescreen)View attachment 290101
View attachment 290102

Edit it in the .ini you're using to add the 4mb ram cart

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello all,

Using GENERIC ini config file (Allows for 4mb ram and widescreen)View attachment 290101
View attachment 290102

It's not a bug, it's a choice. For now I haven't made a ini configuration file modification function so I can't propose to use a custom ini file and modify some values of the ini file at the same time.

TOG914

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a bug, it's a choice. For now I haven't made a ini configuration file modification function so I can't propose to use a custom ini file and modify some values of the ini file at the same time.
That makes sense. I edited the ini file before running the script now the emulator runs my widescreen-patched copy of sega rally without any noticeable slowdown.

1639785581299.jpeg

1639785598958.jpeg

Reactions: Zomorph

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Saturn nsp creation video guide.

I don't know if anyone needs this but since the process for anyone coming into this fresh is super involved, I spent the past few days putting together a video how to guide. I made this with the intention of helping newcomers who feel overwhelmed.

I take not credit for the creation of any of the tools, my sincere appreciation goes out to the talented individuals out there who make our gaming dreams come true.
Thank you!

Questions/comments/complaints are appreciated. I'm new to YouTube and don't wanna step on anyone's toes.

helvetinperkeles

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I re-created Nights into dreams using the newest version of hack tool and everything went like it should and game works great but i noticed one bug or issue. I used only custom ini file to make nights run perfect and all the rest files and so on are default files from hack tool. I can use quick save during gameplay and i can load my safe as long i'm in the game. But if i close the game and start it again and try to load my safe the game crashes. Is this known issue with this game and is there a way to get the saves work properly?
Other injected games that i tested loading save works fine.
Edit: I tested Nights again and so it loads my save. So it crashes randomly. Wierd.

Last edited by helvetinperkeles,

BestSiteEvar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Saturn nsp creation video guide.

I don't know if anyone needs this but since the process for anyone coming into this fresh is super involved, I spent the past few days putting together a video how to guide. I made this with the intention of helping newcomers who feel overwhelmed.

I take not credit for the creation of any of the tools, my sincere appreciation goes out to the talented individuals out there who make our gaming dreams come true.
Thank you!

Questions/comments/complaints are appreciated. I'm new to YouTube and don't wanna step on anyone's toes.

Really beneficial for newcomers although it could probably trimmed a bit, excellent video nonetheless and awesome guide!

Reactions: Thorhax

Thorhax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Really beneficial for newcomers although it could probably trimmed a bit, excellent video nonetheless and awesome guide!
Thank you, I was trying to cut down as much as possible while still being thorough.

I think once I get more used to talking in front of the camera I can pick up the pace on my explanations as well as cut down on the useless filler words such as "So" and "ok".

Reactions: BestSiteEvar

Fischtickles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any solutions to the black Screen in combat with shining force 3

I haven't tested it, but try overclocking. There isn't any problems listed for this game.

Anyone figured out how to get the game Three Dirty Dwarves to work?
I'd take any method as long it is playable...
I also could not get Three Dirty Dwarves to work with the controls. It loads to main screen, audio is fine. But control inputs don't work. Very odd. I don't know why.

Spookytoymaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tested it, but try overclocking. There isn't any problems listed for this game.

I also could not get Three Dirty Dwarves to work with the controls. It loads to main screen, audio is fine. But control inputs don't work. Very odd. I don't know why.
Yea shining force 3 English patch loads and is fine until the first battle. Then screen goes black with audio playing still. I need to try the unpatched copy see if it still does it or if I can get past and load in a save file after.

Rikua

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As I have posted before here, the compatibility list is not an END ALL to compatibility. It also had Resident Evil listed as working, but is very much not. Three Dirty dwarves has been the same issue since day one, same with Shining Force III (ALL scenarios), but instead of changing the sheet, I usually just get hit with "I didn't make that edit, it was someone else". Okay? Just remove it because it's incorrect?...nope lol Just realize that most of the people testing these games, play until it boots up to or past the title and that's it as far as their testing goes.

As for TDD, the very same bug has been present since the first days of the SSF emulator, using cheats to gain level select does not work either, as the game locks up while booting said level.

Last edited by Rikua,

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As for TDD, the very same bug has been present since the first days of the SSF emulator, using cheats to gain level select does not work either, as the game locks up while booting said level.
Maybe getting a different ROM from a different source can get it running?
I feel that ppl are getting the exact same ROMs...

Rikua

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea shining force 3 English patch loads and is fine until the first battle. Then screen goes black with audio playing still. I need to try the unpatched copy see if it still does it or if I can get past and load in a save file after.

Maybe getting a different ROM from a different source can get it running?
I feel that ppl are getting the exact same ROMs...
Nope, I've tried 3 different SFIII dumps, which include different regions of the game. Same result, and like I said the TDD bug has been around since the SSF emulator, which this emulator, Zebra, is based on. So unless the specifically release that game officially (lol) it's unlikely to be fixed.

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nope, I've tried 3 different SFIII dumps, which include different regions of the game. Same result, and like I said the TDD bug has been around since the SSF emulator, which this emulator, Zebra, is based on. So unless the specifically release that game officially (lol) it's unlikely to be fixed.
Seems hopeless...

Do you know if this game runs well with RetroArch instead?
I know that running Saturn games with RetroArch on the Switch ain't a good a idea but apparently some games can run well.
The core that RetroArch uses for saturn is Yabause right? There's more cores that can run it but I don't think they are available for the Switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: my eyes already feel tired