Homebrew Saturn emulation using Cotton/Guardian Force testing and debug

SuperS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
heads up for anyone trying Nights Into Dreams, the only iso that worked for me was called "NiGHTS into Dreams... (USA) (RE)"
@andre_int interesting! thank you for the information. maybe thats why my nsps keep glitching out. any hints where to find it? pm is also ppossible.
edit: btw. your nights config is amazing, makes the game run flawless in handheld even without overclock.

Last edited by SuperS,

shadow256

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've started the researches to re-create a NSP based on the compilation but it's more difficult thant for the single games, the program's structure is not very clear. I don't think that I will continue to investigate on it, to mutch work for something witch is not very useful. Something intresting in these researches, the size of the save file is greater than for the single games so I think I will add an option to modify this param on my script for those who want to use ModManager with a large collection of games.

For multi-disk games I think it's better to use Layeredfs and ModManager, you install the first disk with the NSP and you use layeredfs on it for the other disks by replacing only the game's files, I think for now it's the best solution.

Reactions: Zomorph and Prb

lingbergh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know if this has been answered before but can we be certain that Cotton2 + Boomerang + GF + Compilation share the same emulator (same build + compatibility)?

Zomorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Btw how did you convert it? I've got a CHD file that needs to be converted to bin/cue
Use CHDMAN. I'll PM the file shortly. Almost finished work. Then you place all the CHDs in the folder and run the CHD to CUE file. It'll make sense when you have the file. If I can do it anyone can ;)

Hleb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
icon i made for keio inject

upd: added icon for sakura wars also

Attachments

• keio.jpg
    keio.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 35
  • sw.jpg
    sw.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by Hleb,
Reactions: Zomorph

Zomorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I converted Street Fighter Zero 3 but there is an error message about 4gb ram. What should I do?
I had trouble with this. In the end I created a new NSP base with Cotton 2. I actually used Street Fighter Zero 3 as the Saturn game for building the base.

Before you do that set-up the config file. Open it with notepad++ and change the cartridge bit near the top to "5c". Save it.
Then run the script. When asked if you want to add your own ini use the amended config file you have created. Do the rest of the script as normal. It should then work. Just make sure you delete any save games for SFZ3 on the switch.

It runs beautifully.

ps. If you don't have Cotton 2 or Boomerang then just delete the GuardianForce folder in the romfs folder and start again as above using Guardian Force

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
I had trouble with this. In the end I created a new NSP base with Cotton 2. I actually used Street Fighter Zero 3 as the Saturn game for building the base.

Before you do that set-up the config file. Open it with notepad++ and change the cartridge bit near the top to "5c". Save it.
Then run the script. When asked if you want to add your own ini use the amended config file you have created. Do the rest of the script as normal. It should then work. Just make sure you delete any save games for SFZ3 on the switch.

It runs beautifully.

ps. If you don't have Cotton 2 or Boomerang then just delete the GuardianForce folder in the romfs folder and start again as above using Guardian Force

Where is the config file? I am using guardian force. Does the cotton 2 increase comparability?

Ps I've got chdman which I used to convert DC games. You just drag and drop on the .bat files right?

Zomorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Where is the config file? I am using guardian force. Does the cotton 2 increase comparability?

Ps I've got chdman which I used to convert DC games. You just drag and drop on the .bat files right?

Page 1, post 16 from Levine91. I don't think the base NSP makes a difference, I think it was more important for me to create a new base. So you should be able to use Guardian Force or Cotton 2.

Glad you got chdman working- yep just drag and drop.

Reactions: ganons

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Any word on people getting translation patches working? I have been trying to get Dragon Force II running for a few days now on and off, no luck :(

ZER-O

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
looking for someone who knows how to patch Castlevania Dracula X twice (if you know what i am talking about, PM)
there are 2 patches i would like to combine, or at least use one patch fully as is, and extract only the script translation from the second one and apply it

there is a good patch that doesn't have English menu or Dialog, if someone knows how or which Sega Saturn ISO tools i need to extract the english translated dialog and menu and combine with another patch etc, send me a PM

castlevania_symphony_of_the_night_english_text_006.png

i have been remaking The English Black & White Manual With Colors, (text isn't redone yet)
SOTN Characters Page 1.png

castlevania_symphony_of_the_night_english_text_005.png

SOTN Story 1.png

SOTN Story 4v2.png

have done 4 Pages from the USA Instruction Manual and 4 Pages from The Japanese Manual

Also if i see these Distributed in Piarte sites with injected NSP, ill only share in Private Group

i would like help in Figuring out how to use a secondary Game patch on an already patched game before i share the complete RomFS file for SOTN Asset Swap, Send me a PM

Last edited by ZER-O,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16