• both of these devices are priced at $100
  • the nexus has a 4.65" AMOLED screen
  • the lg has a 4.5" IPS display
  • both have the same exact resolution of 720x1280
  • the nexus has a 1.2ghz dual-core cortex A9
  • the lg uses a 1.5ghz dual-core snapdragon S3
  • both have 1GB ram
  • the nexus has 16GB/32GB on internal storage w/ no sd slot,
  • the lg has 4GB internal storage and includes a 16GB sd card preinstalled (upgradable to 32GB)
  • both are 4G LTE devices
  • the nexus is running android 4.0.4 (I think there is a 4.1 leaked rom for it already)
  • the lg is running android 2.3.1 (reps of lg say the 4.0.4 update is done but are waiting for verizon to approve the update to push it ota, the lg nitro which the at&t version of the spectrum got their ics update a few days ago so it should be coming very soon)
  • both devices battery life are terrible at best but from all the reviews ive read the lg might be slightly less worse and that there is an official extended battery from lg (seems there are also extended batteries for the nexus so nvm~)
  • nexus has a 5mp rear camera and 1.3mp front camera
  • lg has a 8mp rear and 1.3mp front camera
  • the nexus does not have gorilla glass
  • the lg does have gorilla glass

thats about all the actual stuff that would concern me
the spectrum 2 has already been leaked and is a nice upgrade to this version but there is no release date and probably is gonna be $200-300 considering the specs

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As much as I like having a microSD slot, I'd recommend the Nexus. I don't have one, but it will still be updated a for a while, and LG have been known for not making terribly good Android phones (going by user comments, not specifically the Spectrum) anyway.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I recommend the Nexus. Its lack of SD card slot is a real bummer but the fact that we get Android updates before anybody else more than makes up for it (seriously, JellyBean is awesome)
Also there is an official extended battery from Samsung for the Nexus too.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both of those phones suck. Never get an LG phone so that's already out of the question. The Gnex is a great phone, but its already sort off old. But what makes it suck is that the Galaxy Nexus is not a Nexus phone on Verizon really, they don't get their timely updates and you have to wait for Verizon to push for the OTA(You would probably get JellyBean for it in November), so I don't really find it worth it as the only good thing about it is that it gets updated fast, but not for this case and the hardware is outdated. I suggest getting the Galaxy S3, the phone is already running on ICS and it has amazing hardware.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both of those phones suck. Never get an LG phone so that's already out of the question. The Gnex is a great phone, but its already sort off old. But what makes it suck is that the Galaxy Nexus is not a Nexus phone on Verizon really, they don't get their timely updates and you have to wait for Verizon to push for the OTA(You would probably get JellyBean for it in November), so I don't really find it worth it as the only good thing about it is that it gets updated fast, but not for this case and the hardware is outdated. I suggest getting the Galaxy S3, the phone is already running on ICS and it has amazing hardware.

If you get a Nexus to wait for OTA updates, you're doing it wrong. Yes, You can wait for the OTA updates and get the most Google-ized experience possible, or you could just find a custom stock rom the day/day after a new Android version is released and still have the same experience. I've been running JellyBean on my VZW Nexus since the day after the first day of I/O, and for that matter, it's actually been custom roms the entire time. AOKP is pushing out JB alphas, CyanogenMod Team is pushing out CM10 alphas, Paranoid Android has had alphas for a while, and there's ones by Team Vicious, Team BAMF, and Team Horizon, to name a few.

The way I see it, at least, if you get a Nexus device and you know your way around a computer decently enough, you're not getting it to be "just a smartphone", because there are tons of other ones out there, and yes, at this point, ones with even better specs, like the GS3. But the modability of these is unparallelled, and the development scene for it is HUGE. (Plus, the $100 price tag on it now is nice, considering it used to be a $300 phone)

I plan on sticking with my VZW GNex when my contract is up depending on what else it out there.

OP, to make a remark on each of your points:
-The newer Nexi have nicer screens than the older model ones, from what I've seen. Mine, which I've had for half a year, has dark streaks running down the display (and has since I got it), which I read was a fairly common issue to the AMOLED screens. My dad just got one, and had it replaced because he got a defective one, and both screens were flawless. Me, it never really bugged me, and it's only visible on certain white/grey screens.
-The CPU is easily overclockable on this and runs very stable.
-The 32GB, which afaik is all that VZW sells, has been more than enough for me. Shooting 1080p video with it fills it up fairly quickly though.
-On the topic of my dad's defective one, related to the 4G signal, you shouldn't have any dropouts with it in places you don't usually have them. My dad was getting dropouts like crazy. Exchanged it for a brand new one (not VZW's "Certified Like-New" because we were within the 14 days), and it works perfectly. Mine used to on and off, but has since stopped
-Like I had said, 4.1 Jellybean has been out for a while, and it's fantastic
-Battery life is pretty crappy if you use it a fair bit throughout the day. I got one of these yesterday, though - I'm going 16 and a half hours so far with 32% left with moderate usage throughout the day, whereas the stock battery was getting around 9 hours of moderate to heavy use. The added thickness and weight is actually nice with that extended battery. Also, samsung does make an official extended battery, but it only gives you ~15% more capacity. The Hyperion one pretty much doubles it.
-Rear camera is very nice on it in good lighting, front camera isn't great, nor is it on pretty much any phone.
-Yes, the Nexus doesn't have Gorilla Glass, but it does have unbranded fortified glass, which is what Gorilla Glass is, except branded by Corning.

I love my Nexus.

I agree with Jakob though - LG phones suck. I went through 3 LG enV phones, my dad went through 3, my mom's spontaneously died for no reason, despite taking very good care of it. Has yet to happen to any of us with a Samsung phone.

Reactions: 1 person

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually don't like custom ROMs because they don't always run as good as stock OTA ones. You get glitches and bugs, things that you just don't have time for. Custom ROMs of stock OTA roms are a different story, but most of the time the ones that upgrade you to a new firmware are ports from different phones. Like I doubt CM9 performs better then the original 4.0.4 firmware of the Galaxy Nexus(Unless its a modified stock OTA).

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an aside, I think that CM9 is a poor example. It barely had a chance to mature, and if I'm not mistaken, never even hit a full release (someone please correct me if I am wrong) because right as it started coming to be, Jellybean hit and there's already very nicely running CM10 alphas. I'm running one on my Nexus 7 and aside from the fact that something is causing my tablet to reboot every once in a while (might be the rom or the kernel), it runs beautifully.

At a more developed standpoint, AOKP always performed just as well as the 4.0.1 OTA that I got (which is when I moved to custom roms). Battery life was a little shorter though, if I am not mistaken, but that could just as well be my fault.

OTA ports to the VZW Nexus are typically pretty stable. Like I said in my last post, I was running JB the day after it was announced as an OTA for the GSM Nexus at I/O on my VZW Nexus. Everything worked perfectly; after that, it's just optimizations that the base doesn't have, and adding rom-specific features. My friend on a One X just flashed a CM10 alpha and he loves the performance, but a lot of features are broken - notable ones are Google Now crashing the phone after trying to do a second search without rebooting the phone, and the phone crashing when you try to switch to Camcorder.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I have the HTC Incredible 2 and most ROMs that are Android 4.0 ROMs have problems like slowdowns, and AOSP has a major problem were the incall volume is so low compared to Sense based ROMs. Plus the ROMS are all pretty unstable in some way, either slow/lag, or have features that don't work. I'm still running Gingerbread since it works best for me, and I can do pretty much everything that an ICS user can with my phone.

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should say I probably wont be installing custom roms on them so I would stick to ota updates for either device

I know some (most) people say avoid lg, I know their env line was terrible as my brother had the first gen one, I stuck with the lower end vx series though and never had a problem with them (I loved my 6000)

even though there is no microsd slot on the nexus, the 32GB makes up for it

but one other thing is the lg has a nicer rear camera (I wouldnt have to carry my point and shoot with me anymore)

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should say I probably wont be installing custom roms on them so I would stick to ota updates for either device

I know some (most) people say avoid lg, I know their env line was terrible as my brother had the first gen one, I stuck with the lower end vx series though and never had a problem with them (I loved my 6000)

even though there is no microsd slot on the nexus, the 32GB makes up for it

but one other thing is the lg has a nicer rear camera (I wouldnt have to carry my point and shoot with me anymore)
I don't give a shit about LG. DO NOT GET A LG. Even if its a quad core processor it will still suck. Their ugly user interface is disgusting and makes the phone slow, you will never get updates as well from LG. Their phones are complete shit.

Reactions: 2 people

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
Nexus runs Jellybean and Therefore the phone will almost always run 40fps or more. It is a flagship so it will get any newer updates, the development scene for it is huge! I have one and It's a brilliant little device. The battle is one sided, get the nexus.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nexus runs Jellybean and Therefore the phone will almost always run 40fps or more. It is a flagship so it will get any newer updates, the development scene for it is huge! I have one and It's a brilliant little device. The battle is one sided, get the nexus.
Do you guys find it faster then the S3, when its on Jellybean?

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd also go so far as to say don't judge the camera by its megapixel count. The Galaxy Nexus has a 5Mp rear, as does the Samsung Stratosphere that my mom just got (which is an older Gingerbread phone). The camera on the Stratosphere is shit compared to mine. I've taken pictures with my Nexus and printed them out on 4"x6" at Walgreens and you could not tell that it wasn't taken with a decent point and shoot. When blown up on a 1920x1080 monitor, yeah, you can sometimes tell that it isn't 100% the best quality ever, but at that point, neither is my 12Mp Kodak point and shoot. (They come out by far the best in natural daylight, flash is good but you will see a little bit of a quality degradation if it's your only light source)

For comparison, here's a picture with my mom's Stratosphere:
99 cent tomato plant my mom bought at Shoprite
vGomx.jpg

and one with my Nexus
My family, from left to right - Mom, Grandma, Uncle
OXnvt.jpg

Those were both compressed because they were uploaded to facebook through the mobile app. For ones that aren't compressed...

Closeup of Xbox 360 controller after replacing the sticks - flash + lamp
g7eYP.jpg

Flower in Six Flags Great Adventure - Natural lighting
P20SC.jpg

Sky after a wicked storm - Natural low-lighting, which is why it is grainier when expanded
RMErX.jpg

Picture I took today - "Amazing how these three things are all worth the same amount" - Flash + lamp
WaRyB.jpg
I don't have anything from my mom's stratosphere at the moment that wasn't uploaded to FB.

@Jakob - Aren't we then getting into the custom rom/ports from other phones area? To my knowledge, the GS3 hasn't recieved a JB OTA on any carrier. Again, someone correct me if I am wrong. I try to follow some of this stuff but there's a lot of it to keep up with XD

Edit - also, open each image in a new tab to see the full size. It's still shrunk on this site.

Edit 2 - LOL swapped the first 2 pics.

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you guys find it faster then the S3, when its on Jellybean?
A little faster than my dads Galaxy S2, In comparison to the S3 when running Jellybean the Nexus can keep up with it, barely. However I doubt the Nokia will get Jellybean which is surprising considering that Jellybean is more resource friendly and can run on devices with 800Mhz procsessors pretty fluently.

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
No what I meant was if you guys found the S3 faster then the Galaxy Nexus when the Galaxy Nexus is on Jellybean. Sorry
No, I find that they both run at the same speed but the touchwiz animations on the S3 make it seem slower than the AOSP Jellybeans animation. When running head to head they are pretty much the same.

AudibleAdvent

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Take it from someone who (used to) own an LG Optimus One, unless you hack your phone, you won't be getting the latest and greatest Android updates any time soon. LG lags behind Google when it comes to rolling out updates for their phone line. Although that's inevitable because Google themselves are the ones rolling out the updates to begin with.

Bottom line, go with the Galaxy Nexus; you won't regret it. You get what you pay for, a gorgeous, glossy Super Amoled screen, a snappy dual core processor, and a buttery smooth OS (Android 4.1) to boot. But personally, if I were you, I'd wait for the release of the new Nexus phone, which should be coming out around November this year.

They're both awesome phones but nothing beats Google/Samsung.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker. +1