Hacking Running a pictochat rom on a 3DS?

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the 3DS does have PictoChat.
If you don't know what you're talking about, I'd recommend not talking.
On-topic, no, I've asked here before. There's no way to get Pictochat, and the firmware.nds is a dead end.
I'm being quite serious - and no, I'm not referring to Swapnote.

I mean - the 3DS actually has a DS mode for DS games in case you didn't know. I mean in the future it MIGHT be possible to access PictoChat from there. They might remove it from the 3DS's DS mode though - so I added an italic does.
The fact that it may have it somewhere doesn't really help, though. We need to be able to access it, so that's really not relevant.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On-topic, no, I've asked here before. There's no way to get Pictochat, and the firmware.nds is a dead end.

I mean - the 3DS actually has a DS mode for DS games in case you didn't know. I mean in the future it MIGHT be possible to access PictoChat from there. They might remove it from the 3DS's DS mode though - so I added an italic does.
The fact that it may have it somewhere doesn't really help, though. We need to be able to access it, so that's really not relevant.
You don't think through different possibilities, do you? You're pretty much saying that if you can't easily access it, it's not there. It might be there, and we might be able to get to it.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You don't think through different possibilities, do you? You're pretty much saying that if you can't easily access it, it's not there. It might be there, and we might be able to get to it.
The OP is asking if there's a way he can use PictoChat on the 3DS.
At the moment, the correct answer is "No." Would you like to argue that?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

The OP is asking if there's a way he can use PictoChat on the 3DS.
At the moment, the correct answer is "No." Would you like to argue that?
Add to your answer: likely yes if the 3DS gets hacked.

Currently, I don't think so.

warmo161

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The official legal way would be to get a copy of 52-Game Classics.

42 All time classics is NOT pictochat

It is a messaging tool yes, but is not compatible with pictochat itself

Although yes, it is a alternative, has more effects and can run through download play

Deleted member 282441

AKA ZeroTheSavior
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't kirby canvas curse have a pictochat where you can draw with rainbow colors? Idk if it was compatible with reg pictochat tho.

You mean the DSi? It was compatible with the DS pictochat somehow and it sent a different sound effect. I never saw something in Kirby Canvas Curse.
Also, why didn't Nintendo put pictochat in? It can't possibly be that hard if they managed to put it in the DSi.

Erringtry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The official legal way would be to get a copy of 52-Game Classics.

42 All time classics is NOT pictochat

It is a messaging tool yes, but is not compatible with pictochat itself

Although yes, it is a alternative, has more effects and can run through download play

In that case, there's still buying a Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten cartridge for "official legal ways". That one is compatible. :)

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
people are forgetting. Pictochat runs off of the DS firmware. the 3DS has a DS mode, but no DS firmware. and that's why the OP needed that firmware.nds to make it work, because that's the complete DS firmware compared to the DS mode.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
I'd really like to know what has to be done in order to convert a legitimate firmware dump to the executable *.nds format. I already dumped the data from my good ol' DS Lite with the DS BIOS+Firmware Dumper (dsbf_dump.nds), and I can't find any explanations on this matter.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd really like to know what has to be done in order to convert a legitimate firmware dump to the executable *.nds format. I already dumped the data from my good ol' DS Lite with the DS BIOS+Firmware Dumper (dsbf_dump.nds), and I can't find any explanations on this matter.

The only person who ever managed to turn a firmware dump into an executable firmware.nds file was Loopy/Olimar, aka the creator of FlashMe. It was originally available in this post, but he appears to have deleted the text of the post and Archive.org was never allowed to crawl the GBAdev forums so I don't know what he originally said. I *think* it was along the lines of "It was hard to do, and I'm not answering questions about how I did it." http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=13459

Reactions: 1 person

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Well, at least I'm glad I found the file. However, it would be cool if we actually knew how to do this conversion.

EDIT: not working for me. After configuring the options, you have to 'restart' in order to save the changes, which aren't saved at all. What are you doing to get to the menu?

EthanObi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i found the site but...its a rom. so....not going to post it sadly =\ it is working for me on 3DS. :P using pictochat as we speak

bdr9

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, at least I'm glad I found the file. However, it would be cool if we actually knew how to do this conversion.

EDIT: not working for me. After configuring the options, you have to 'restart' in order to save the changes, which aren't saved at all. What are you doing to get to the menu?
The same thing happened to me. When I set all of the options, the 3DS wanted to restart. When I restarted, it acted like I hadn't even done that next time I tried it.

EthanObi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, go configure them In 3ds settings FIRST. then it should work from there.

also make sure you got the one off of comcast.net and not elsewhere

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's a way that should work. The "game" Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten (漢字そのまま楽引辞典) has a built in PictoChat version with special Japanese support. It is fully compatible with the regular PictoChat. Getting to that function in the game might be a bit hard if you cannot read Japanese, but here are some quick directions: Click the options icon in the bottom left corner (a wrench), then click on the PictoChat icon, which is in the second column, second row (I think). It is the lower of the two icons with DS wireless symbols and labelled "ピクトチャット", which is PictoChat in Japanese. After that, the user interface is mostly like that of regular PictoChat, just full of Japanese characters.

Note: I didn't try running Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten on a 3DS, but I used it before in a DSi and communicated with a DS running the regular PictoChat. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work on a 3DS.

i confirm that game has pictochat i just tried it with my 3ds and it gave me pictochat

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
well, go configure them In 3ds settings FIRST. then it should work from there.

also make sure you got the one off of comcast.net and not elsewhere

Like if I didn't configure them when I got my 3DS (yes, I already know they differ from the 3DS settings). No matter what I do, the binary will still ask for the config values. Maybe it is something related to the flashcart being used (AK2i in my case).

And yes, I got the firmware.nds from olimar.

EthanObi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im using a dstwo, works fine for me. on my 3DS,my sisters DSiXL and my brothers DSi, May well be the flashcart,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste