Running a pictochat rom on a 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by warmo161, Jan 30, 2012.

Jan 30, 2012
  1. warmo161
    OP

Newcomer warmo161 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Hi there, I was just looking on the net about this issue but I couldn't find a thing.

Now, if somebody is able to extract the firmware from a ds lite or a dsi, is it possible to pull out the pictochat rom and run it on a 3DS?

I know not many people are bothered about pictochat, but I was just interested if this is possible?

Oh, and what about the pictochat detection in the original nintendogs? Was it pictochat or a link to the rom in the firmware of the console? (I never used it)

What do you guys think?

2. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I think the 3DS does have PictoChat.

3. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    There is a firmware.nds floating around the web somewhere, I assume it will still run on the 3DS, you can (I think) access pictochat on there.
    However, there is always Swapnote on the 3DS, which is free.

4. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
  5. warmo161
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yea but swapnote doesnt work on a dsi lol

6. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    If you don't know what you're talking about, I'd recommend not talking.
    On-topic, no, I've asked here before. There's no way to get Pictochat, and the firmware.nds is a dead end.

7. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    He knows what he's talking about, he's referring to Swapnote.

8. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    Swapnote is nothing like Pictochat.

1 person likes this.
  9. vashgs

Member vashgs GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes, and the 3DS is nothing like the DS.

trolololol

10. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    Well, since it can play DS games..

11. vashgs

Member vashgs GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was actually making fun of how stupid your initial thought was. Of course SwapNote is like PictoChat. It's the natural evolution of PictoChat.

10 people like this.
  12. Erringtry

Newcomer Erringtry Newbie

United States
    Here's a way that should work. The "game" Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten (漢字そのまま楽引辞典) has a built in PictoChat version with special Japanese support. It is fully compatible with the regular PictoChat. Getting to that function in the game might be a bit hard if you cannot read Japanese, but here are some quick directions: Click the options icon in the bottom left corner (a wrench), then click on the PictoChat icon, which is in the second column, second row (I think). It is the lower of the two icons with DS wireless symbols and labelled "ピクトチャット", which is PictoChat in Japanese. After that, the user interface is mostly like that of regular PictoChat, just full of Japanese characters.

Note: I didn't try running Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten on a 3DS, but I used it before in a DSi and communicated with a DS running the regular PictoChat. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work on a 3DS.

tlyee61 likes this.
  13. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

As Spinal mentioned, you can use firmware.nds to use Pictochat. If you have a flashcard, that is. From there, it's a simple matter of starting the rom and tapping Pictochat.

14. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I think 42 All Time Classics (possibly called Clubhouse Games in the US?) had a built in PictoChat that was compatible with regular PictoChat.

Failing that, I think you can also download the DSi version of PictoChat from NUS wit NUSD and extract the actual ROM out of it and boot it on a DS mode flashcard. I vaguely remember people doing that around the time the DSi Common Key was released into the wild.

EDIT: In fact, the demos of Clubhouse Games, downloadable somewhere online even include the PictoChat. Try them,

15. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    On a certain DS game hacking site, I found a copy of the DS BIOS that's in .nds form and is fully functioning.

16. warmo161
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'll try some of those demos, Ive got 42 all time classics but it runs through download play so everyone has to use it, I diddnt know its compatible with pictochat??

17. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    I think so, yeah. In the demos (all I've played), if you go into the settings there is an option "enable pictochat" or something like that. I sort of assume that means it works with regular pictochat, otherwise i don't think they'd have called it that in the game. I also vaguely remember reading that it worked with standard pictochat.

If you have the actual game, there's no real point downloading the demos, just use the game. (i.e. look in the settings for enabling pictochat and then go into the chat section and see if you can talk to people in regular pictochat). If it doesn't work there, it most likely won't in the demos.

18. warmo161
    OP

United Kingdom
    Right, the 42 all time classics need the game running before you can use chat but it does have a pictochat searching feature like nintendogs (who knew!)

I got hold of a firmware.nds file and it worked!

many thanks!

19. Ericthegreat

Member Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    Doesn't kirby canvas curse have a pictochat where you can draw with rainbow colors? Idk if it was compatible with reg pictochat tho.

20. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I'm being quite serious - and no, I'm not referring to Swapnote.

I mean - the 3DS actually has a DS mode for DS games in case you didn't know. I mean in the future it MIGHT be possible to access PictoChat from there. They might remove it from the 3DS's DS mode though - so I added an italic does.

1 person likes this.