Hacking Run GBA Roms w M3 DS simply

efaustus9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just today I received both my new Ds lite w the M3 DS simply slot 1 flash loader. I updated the firmware to 1.6 and so far DS roms and DS related homebrew works fine. My problem is that I can not get GBA roms and GBA oriented homebrew to load from this slot 1 loader. One of the selling points of the M3 DS simply for me was the fact that it could run gba roms but up to now I cant figure out how. So if you could please excuse my nativity and help me out if you would. Thanks in advance.

~Evan

KeitaroBaka

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Your first post and not using the search button. You'll be flammed soon.
grog.gif

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
OMFG THESE RETARDED NOOB QUESTIONS ARE ANNOYING

first of all, youre buying a flash card to pirate ds games
WHY NOT BUY A GBA FLASH CART TO PIRATE GBA GAMES????

secondly, the ds is not capable of doing that. gba games require a very fast speed and thats why they are flashed to a special kind of ram on a flashcard before playing, whereas ds games can run at a lower speed.
the internal ram of the ds is only 4mb

and NO

the ds slot 1 cant play ; ps1, ps2, ps3, ps4, xbox, xbox360, xbox720, n64, ngc, wii, gba, psp, gp2x

LOOK AROUND BEFORE BOTHERING US

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little harsh I think as I have seen many sellers advertise the M3 Simply and others as being able to run GBA games on them. Would be nice if people remembered that not everyone who owns a DS knows all about this.

Now if they were asking about N64 emulation then you can bitch and moan.

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A little harsh I think as I have seen many sellers advertise the M3 Simply and others as being able to run GBA games on them. Would be nice if people remembered that not everyone who owns a DS knows all about this.

Really? Like who?

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Really? Like who?
Only one I remember the name of was Mr Modchips, they said the M3 Simply could play GBA titles when I was looking at prices a couple of months back, but then that site has said many lies.

Anyway even if it didn't say its not that silly to assume that they would play them seeing the DS has a GBA cart. Of course people should really ask or do research FIRST but you know we were all newbies once.

Think I'm going soft in my old age.

EDIT: Just checked that site and they don't say it now.

sylux92

Trophies
Website
nbcustomwebsites.com
XP
Country
United States

Really? Like who?
Only one I remember the name of was Mr Modchips, they said the M3 Simply could play GBA titles when I was looking at prices a couple of months back, but then that site has said many lies.

Anyway even if it didn't say its not that silly to assume that they would play them seeing the DS has a GBA cart. Of course people should really ask or do research FIRST but you know we were all newbies once.

Think I'm going soft in my old age.

Hadrian you said"I have seen many sellers that advertse it as being able to run gba titles." But when asked which ones, you could only think of one. One isnt many.

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country

secondly, the ds is not capable of doing that. gba games require a very fast speed and thats why they are flashed to a special kind of ram on a flashcard before playing, whereas ds games can run at a lower speed.

and NO

the ds slot 1 cant play ; ps1, ps2, ps3, ps4, xbox, xbox360, xbox720, n64, ngc, wii, gba, psp, gp2x

lewl.....rant on.
awwww honey calm down.
laugh.gif

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Really? Like who?

Hadrian you said"I have seen many sellers that advertse it as being able to run gba titles." But when asked which ones, you could only think of one. One isnt many.
Well ignore me then!! Do you jot down every site you go on?

Just sticking up for the newbies.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
i apoligise

ignore the rant.

btw, does anyone know about Bamboogaming having

"THE R4 CANT PLAY GBA"
in big red letters when your on the r4 page?

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To the topic owner, I think you've had your question answered. To be honest, flashcart retailers don't make it clear enough that slot-1 cards can not and will never be able to play GBA games. I would report your own post asking one of the mods to close this topic.

- Sam

efaustus9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To thoughts who provided constructive feedback, thank you for help and patience. I am a little disappointed that I cant play gba games but more so that most of the worthwhile home brew emulators are gba based. Im currently using dsnester for my emulation needs with marginal success (most games run slow, and many dont run, notably SMB & MTPO). Do you have any suggestions that may help me get my rom collection mobile. I am not completely adverse to the idea of procuring a cheap slot-2 loader that will not detract from my new ds lite's ascetic appeal if such a thing exists. Thanks again
biggrin.gif

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
A EZF4 deluxe is your best bet if you want the best GBA compatibility
if youre leaning towards homebrew and emulator, an SC lite is great and cheaper too. the GBA support is horrible though.
Said RAM in which GBA games must be flashed to before being able to play them is very slow on the sc lite, thus giving lots of slowdowns.

the EZ4 deluxe however has good ram that allows you to play any game (this is what makes it deluxe, previous versions could only load GBA games under 128mbit because that was the size of the RAm) And you can also flash a game to NOR storage, which is what you had to do in the nondeluxe version if the game is larger that 128mbit or uses a 1mbit save, which is only a handful, but takes AGES to do (256mbit rom takes upwards of 5 mins). The advantage of this is that the cart will act like a real cart, allowing for ds/gba connectivity (pokemon needs a patch though) and instant startup if you select it from the ds boot menu

the EZ4 deluxe also has the same glossy finish as the dsl and is available in many colors. i think its just about flush in the ds, not sure though

flai

Androgynous Apparently :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

and NO

There's no need to be snappy. Slot 1 devices cannot play GBA games. Slot 2 devices can but you need to buy a Passcard 3 to make it work for DS ROMS. Slot 1 is for DS ROMS and homebrew only. The ease of use and the higher ROM compatibility rates are the selling points of Slot 1 cards.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
If the place you brought it from says it plays GBA games then they may be unaware of the error in their product description. So if you can drop them an email to ask them to change it that'd be great
smile.gif
They probably haven't even noticed it, and it'll stop other people from being caught out in the future. (I do a similar job, and it's really useful when people point out things like that. Better to hear it from a customer who is happy with their purchase anyway than from an irate one demanding a refund.
frown.gif
)

(I will confess to rolling my eyes at the topic title, but when you've explicitly read someone say it can then it's not really your fault so I'll let you off
wink.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1