Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
48zeCJ3.png
According to an interview between the well-established Polish magazine "PSX Extreme" and Sony Computer Entertainment UK, the recently announced switch to Pay-to-Play PSN as far as Multiplayer is concerned covers more than just the future PS4 users. Here's a rough translation of what the "PSX Extreme" crew was told during the interview:​
"Introducing fees for Multiplayer is something that we've debated upon for a long time. The whole matter bothered us for a long time. That being said, I have to admit, thanks to the new form of PS+ we were able to lower the price of the PlayStation 4. It will also allow us to regain financial balance after releasing the new system to the market. Thanks to the new income, Sony is capable of providing the highest quality of Online services which it offers to gamers. One of those features will be the long-awaited Cross-Chat."
Additionally to this statement, they were also told that the switch also concerns current PlayStation 3 and PSVita users. Understandable, considering the latest figures which show a 95% appreciation rate of the PlayStation Plus service. That being said, it's still a shame to see a previously free service go.

EDIT: Due to conflicting information from SCE UK and Mr.Shuhei Yoshida the thread has been marked with the [RUMOUR] tag until Sony provides some further clarification.
:arrow: Source
:arrow: Source (Google Translated)

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not all that bad, considering it's much less expensive compared to Xbox live, and the perks that come along with it, although it is a shame, I only got the PS3 for the free multiplayer, after all.

D

Deleted_171835

Normally I would bitch about this fee being brought over to the Vita too but obligatory nogaems.jpg so it's not as big of a deal. It's still a shitty move though.

edit: wait, ps3 too? ugh.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Paid online on a handheld is a first, I guess. Well, I don't really care because as long as they keep up the Instant Game Collection I'll keep buying PS+ anyway, even though I only have a PS3.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I got a feeling it'll be quite a while before the end of the year. It's barely a week since E3. If these sort of announcements are going to pop up weekly from now on, it may still be close in the end. :P

...but yeah, I'm playing devil's advocate here. I've seen what you get for that subscription. For those included games, you really can't complain (fuck...I'm thinking of getting a PS3 and PS+ just for that...and I don't give a damn about multiplayer).

EDIT: erm...foxi...is there an English translation on that source somewhere? My Polish isn't what it used to be.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
EDIT: erm...foxi...is there an English translation on that source somewhere? My Polish isn't what it used to be.

Which is why I gave you a rough translation of the text. If you don't believe me, Google Translate is your friend. "PSX Extreme" is a Polish magazine and they held the interview, what'd you expect? :P

I'll add a Google Translated page to the Source.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I do not think the ps3 and vita will need PSN+ for mutilplayer (it should stay free)

it's just for the ps4
the info, it could be a mistranslation

look at this tweet
https://twitter.com/yosp/status/344367529189330944

I can not find any other sites that say ps3/vita needs psn+ for multiplayer
On one hand we have Mr.Yoshida, on the other this is a statement made by Sony Computer Entertainment UK - an equally reliable source. It's not a mistranslation - it's precisely what was said. Everything remains to be seen - those things change.

Me thinks something may have been lost in translation. Implementing PS+ for multiplayer for PS3 this late would be fucking stupid.
It's a fee for the service - it's not a matter of which console uses it. SEN is entirely separate from the platforms.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the one hand, that sort of sucks. On the other hand, unlike Live, you don't need PS+ to access the rest of the features (Netflix, anyone?), and I believe the price is lower, too.

Overall? I'm Playstation Nonplussed.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Due to conflicting information from SCE UK and Mr.Yoshida, I'll request the staff to mark this thread as a [Rumour] until the issue is clarified, although this statement is reason for concern if it does turn out to be true, at least for those who don't have PSPlus yet. The service is still a fantastic deal, but all great deals taste even better when they're not mandatory.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the one hand, that sort of sucks. On the other hand, unlike Live, you don't need PS+ to access the rest of the features (Netflix, anyone?), and I believe the price is lower, too.

Overall? I'm Playstation Nonplussed.

I've always wondered how that made sense.

Anyways, I don't really mind as long as PS takes the money from PS+ and stuffs it into better servers and makes it worth it, where as LIVE seems to just be siphoning off that money somewhere and not worrying about server upkeep and shiz. :bortz:

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
and stuffs it into better servers and makes it worth it, where as LIVE seems to just be siphoning off that money somewhere and not worrying about server upkeep and shiz. :bortz:

Is xbox live noted for its unreliability, downtime and otherwise poor service nowadays?

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is xbox live noted for its unreliability, downtime and otherwise poor service nowadays?

Well, that could just be me and my (according to Speedtest.net) F+ (on a good day) internet speeds. I have DSL through a small local deal. Last night Halo 4 wouldn't let me join anyone party or gamewise, because I'm almost certain my NAT type was lying to me.

Now my other friends have said they have noticed decreasing quality of XBOX LiVE service. Some night we just couldn't play because of "maintenance" and other nights, games wouldn't let us do much playing unless a certain person was on.

The worst is when you have a decent connection, all partied up (harder than it sounds) and then LiVE starts freaking out. What happens, people start leaving your party and joining at random. it seems to happen after about half an hour of play online. we reset out systems, party up again but it never stops.

The unreliability is really getting to me.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Seems $ony pulled a XBLive Gold on the PS4.......this was something that bugged the hell outta me on the 360 too..........
It is entirely unlike Live except that they're both paid for online services on game systems. Otherwise, Gold acts as essentially a service bottleneck on the 360. If you don't have Gold, if all you want to do is play single player games, you're set. If you want to do anything that requires an internet connection, like, say, watch the Netflix you already are paying for each month, you'll have to buy Gold.

With PS+, the only thing it is required for is multiplayer gaming. Otherwise all other online functions remain the same in terms of accessibility to the console owner. As well, PS+ offers other perks such as extra discounts, free games, etc. At $5 a month, PS+ is a far superior investment when compared to the likes of Xbox Live Gold.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With PS+, the only thing it is required for is multiplayer gaming. Otherwise all other online functions remain the same in terms of accessibility to the console owner. As well, PS+ offers other perks such as extra discounts, free games, etc. At $5 a month, PS+ is a far superior investment when compared to the likes of Xbox Live Gold.

Though there is still the bottleneck thing going on MS did announce a game library thing as part of their conference, discounts are a thing http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/promotion/dealoftheweek and if you shop around you could beat or equal $5 a month for gold as well.

macmanhigh

THC = Truly High Caliber
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is entirely unlike Live except that they're both paid for online services on game systems.With PS+, the only thing it is required for is multiplayer gaming. Otherwise all other online functions remain the same in terms of accessibility to the console owner

Again just like GOLD Live U wanna play Multiplayer then pay subscription Single Player is Fine......and M$ and pulling a PS+ now too as they will be offering free monthly games aslo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Carotenemia causes skin to appear orange-ish in color. Orange Pi. Carotenemia Pussy. Get it. lolol
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O i3? o........................................k
    Both of mine are i5's lol
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb