PS3 and PS Vita get new firmware updates

psvita.jpg

Sony has decided to update the firmwares of two of its aging consoles, the PlayStation 3 and the PS Vita. With version 4.89 for the PS3 and version 3.74 for the PS Vita, certain changes have been effected to the account management settings. For instance, log-in password recovery now requires a third-party device as does the creation of a new account for these devices, which cannot be done natively on these systems as of this update.

:arrow: SOURCE 1 (Image), SOURCE 2

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, what are the odds anyone today that is going to buy a ps3 or vita these days or want to create a new account and dont already have one.

But it is a little pointless making an update to remove it, maybe its how the systems worked back then and didnt factor in better security like 2fa.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair, what are the odds anyone today that is going to buy a ps3 or vita these days or want to create a new account and dont already have one.

But it is a little pointless making an update to remove it, maybe its how the systems worked back then and didnt factor in better security like 2fa.
I agree, but the problem is that the way they've implemented the new account system makes it a fairly complicated process just to access an account you previously had on your system - took me almost an hour to get both my vita's able to access my PSN again, dealing with error codes and help threads on reddit... by which time I gave up on the idea of taking my PS3 out of the cupboard to get PSN accessible again.
People of a less tech-savvy nature will essentially be frozen out of their accounts because of the way Sony have handled this.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

2FA was already in effect. I'd have to use a generated password by Sony in order to sign it to my account (on PS3/etc).

I downloaded all the stuff I wanted from PSN US/UK so no need to log in again.

Megadriver94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you're missing out on some experiences that can't be had elsewhere... and if you're correctly spoofing, not using cheats, and avoiding GTA and CoD, there's pretty much zero risk of a ban.
One can still use cheat codes on the PS3 without using online multiplayer at all. Oh, and how is the ability to downgrade on, say, a Phat model, or one the first couple of batches of slim units (such as a 120GB NTSC Slim), affected by this update?

Last edited by Megadriver94,

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As with any homebrew, expect the hacking community to release updated hacks that will allow unofficial software to run on the latest firmware soon. In the meantime, if you need to homebrew, there are probably still ways to downgrade to a compatible firmware before patching it with CFW or similar.

This update will be mentioned on the Rock Band Customs Project Discord shortly.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Maybe you wanna update the PS3 to play newer Blue Ray disks but there is no sane reason whatsoever to update your Vita.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you wanna update the PS3 to play newer Blue Ray disks but there is no sane reason whatsoever to update your Vita.
Started buying then stopped. Plus, that shit about updating the console to watch is annoying.

Customers should be able to watch it as they bought it.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it's to be expected for the PS3 since it functions as a Blu-ray player.
That is an interesting aspect that has been brought up before.

I wonder how long Sony will keep updating the PS3 even though there are no new games for it (old consoles get indie games all the time these days, but PS3? doesn't seem likely).

Reactions: HaloEffect17

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.