Rumour: New PS3 Model To Require HDMI For HD Output?

coolness

PSN: Dutch_DarkLord
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
Brian Crecente — A tipster sends us rumored word (and image) of an incoming replacement model for the 160GB Playstation 3 which brings with it a change in the way some people will hook the console up to their HD television.

The new "K" chassis, which Sony will begin shipping to retailers this week, will require customers to use an HDMI cable to play a game or watch a movie in high definition, according to the tipster. The component out, which on all other models supports high definition video modes, will no longer do so, according to a memo apparently sent around at GameStop today.

All future models of the PS3, the memo continues, will require an HDMI cable for high definition output. Previous models will not be updated to require HDMI for high definition viewing.

Finally, as GameStop puts it, offering the HDMI cables to customers picking up a PS3 will "also help you drive add-on sales."

We've reached out to Playstation for comment on the rumor and to ask why, if it's true, the change is being made.

Update: While we still haven't heard from Playstation with an official response, it sounds like this move could have something to do with the AACS Final Adopter Agreement.

Source

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
There's been a correction:
http://kotaku.com/5820952/not-so-fast-the-...for-hd-gameplay
From Kotaku
QUOTE said:
Good news, good news: Turns out that leaked GameStop memo about the new PS3 was real, but it was also wrong.

While Sony is indeed quietly rolling out a new PS3 model (it's called the CECH-3000 series), that model won't force you to use HDMI out to play video games in HD. HDMI will only be required if you want to watch movies in HD.
The "HDMI only for HD" restriction only applies to Blu-Ray Video (and download HD video), not games.
This still sucks for some people, but it won't affect me.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
There's been a correction:
http://kotaku.com/5820952/not-so-fast-the-...for-hd-gameplay

The "HDMI only for HD" restriction only applies to Blu-Ray Video, not games.
This still sucks for some people, but it won't affect me.
THANK.
GOD.

I mean, it doesn't affect me at the moment, but if I were to ever get a new PS3 (right now I use my brother's) and that were the case...
Wait a minute, I don't care. When have I ever cared about HD? Plus I have an HDMI...

Well, still sucks, though.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope you guys are smarter not to buy it. What a dirty business. They want to make more profits. SICKO dirty business!

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
salamai said:
Why is Sony releasing a new model of the PS3 anyway? Did they not learn their lesson from the PSP?
What lesson? The PSP was successful (maybe not in the intensity of the DS, but it was still popular) and the PSP still outsells the 3DS.

It's probably because of their constant fight for more money.

person66

If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What is the point of this? I can only use component cables to have HD on my TV, as it doesn't have an HDMI port (it still supports 1080i though
unsure.gif
) so I wont be able to watch videos in HD if I ever have to get a new PS3.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I hope constant remodels won't happen to future Sony consoles, especially the Vita.

I don't really like constant remodels...

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
salamai said:
Why is Sony releasing a new model of the PS3 anyway? Did they not learn their lesson from the PSP?
The PS3 is a much more complicated system than the PSP, and thus, has a correspondingly higher potential for security improvements because of it. Since firmware 3.56 last January, the system has been secured (from softmods, anyway), and the introduction of a new model with a more secured blu-ray drive will only increase the headaches for hackers.

So no, Sony didn't learn anything from the PSP security scene because they didn't have to. It's apples and oranges.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) Does any group still do the "analog loop" method of ripping?
2) Even if they did how much legacy gear is out there (or worse old gear with known bypass methods- thinking the external decoder chip piped via a nice accessible bus into the device proper)?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
most tvs purchased in the last 5 years will have hdmi. hdmi cables are as cheap as $8 now. it isn't like this is a bad decision on their part. the problem will be for users who do not own hdmi read equipment or have the willingness to currently spend money in this poor global economy for an upgrade.

i wish they would bring back the USB ports. having only 2 usb ports on my slim has been a headache. i can't charge my blue tooth, run a keyboard, charge a controller, use a cooling fan, etc, at the same time. with that said, has anyone used a usb hub or expansion with the ps3?

-another world

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
most tvs purchased in the last 5 years will have hdmi. hdmi cables are as cheap as $8 now. it isn't like this is a bad decision on their part. the problem will be for users who do not own hdmi read equipment or have the willingness to currently spend money in this poor global economy for an upgrade.

i wish they would bring back the USB ports. having only 2 usb ports on my slim has been a headache. i can't charge my blue tooth, run a keyboard, charge a controller, use a cooling fan, etc, at the same time. with that said, has anyone used a usb hub or expansion with the ps3?

-another world
you can get hdmi cables alot cheaper
tongue.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002L5R7...=A2X611LEQI9ZC1

I think rock band used a USB hub, same on the 360, so it should be fine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-