OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
*updated 1/27/06*

As reported in a previous thread, makers of the XenoGC (http://www.xenogc.com/ - a gamecube modchip), may have already completed a Wii modchip.

SOURCE:
http://www.eurasia.nu/modules.php?name=New...rticle&sid=1848

QUOTE said:
"I just got word that the team behind the successful xenoGC and later xenoGC 2.0 now have a working drivechip for Wii which should be released soon. No further info available at the moment, not even a name, but my guess is xenoWii.
wink.gif
"

Keep in mind this is all rumor and speculation
, but here is what we've guessed based on conversations in the last thread and assumptions that Xenowii will use the method described in tmbinc's video:

* There will be no homebrew support, except in gamecube mode.

* Firmware updates should be fine, since this is a drivechip that doesn't interfere with the bios. Nintendo may have something up their sleeves though.

* RUMOR has it, if you own a XenoGC chip, then an upcoming BiOS update may allow you to flash and reinstall your chip into your Wii- meaning no new hardware to buy to run your Wii and GameCube back-ups.

To kick things off, I have a couple questions. How were Xeno's modchips for the gamecube? Are they a good company?

And since this could be the first modchip and it probably won't have homebrew support, I'm guessing a lot of people would like to switch chips when a perfect one comes out. Traditionally, how hard is it to remove modchips and replace them with new ones?

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Will it play cube backups with 100% compatability? Is there a reason to buy a modchip when a firmware flash will prolly come out around the same time? Or an opera browser exploit?

WarmWoollySheep

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A browser exploit is unlikely, and if it did work, it would probably be like the Animal Crossing exploit for gamecube - video lag, spotty compatibility, far from perfect.

I don't know anything about Wii firmware flashing.

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I personally will wait for a firmware flash... one that can be flashed back to default if I want to go online, and that will (hopefully) delete the played games list, or not add backuped games to it.

Soldering with my clumsiness = ftl.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It good news about a mod chip coming out for the wii, but I won't be jumping on the band wagon quickly. You don't know yet if nintendo can update the wii to disable the mod, if its a simple drive mod can you not just flash the drive like you can with the xbox 360? Just look at the first xbox 1 mod chips to come out, their laugable compared to the xenium ice and xecuter 3.6.

nevixa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I personally will wait for a firmware flash... one that can be flashed back to default if I want to go online, and that will (hopefully) delete the played games list, or not add backuped games to it.

Soldering with my clumsiness = ftl.

Doesn't a firmware flash interfere with Nintendo updates and online possibilities?
I think the main advantage of a driverchip is that it doesn’t interfere with updates (I hope) and you probably will also be able to play backups online (like most DS backups).

It’s a pity it probably doesn’t support homebrew.

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is their a possibility you can still play the games online? I know you cant play some 360 games online if its chiped, but I wasnt sure.
How come they dont block DS games from wifi? I only had one game which nintendo blocked, and that didnt matter because I had the real cart..

spas

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo have never really been very good at anti piracy but I suppose they don't declare war on the console buyers like other companies do.

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From some statistics I've seen (and don't ask me to quote where cuz I have no idea) ... more Nintendo games are bought for their systems than for Xbox, Playstation, etc. So piracy isn't as big a concern for Nintendo as it is for M$ or $ony.

There was a great article recently in the New Yorker about how nice it is to be "third". It was in-depth about how, in the eyes of kids, Nintendo is third place behind the Xbox 360 and PS3, and it is behind in terms of raw performance benchmarks. However, Nintendo will pull more profit in 2006 than either Microsoft from 360 sales and Sony from PS3/PS2. It ain't bad to be third, especially when Sony is losing some $300 per PS3 sold.

Piracy isn't that big of a concern to Nintendo, so I'd doubt it if a firmware flash/drive chip would prevent a copied game from being played online.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Xeno is a solid company, they sent me a sample of the xenogc modchip when it was just released.
I still have it in my gamecube and its working perfect.

Later on they updated the xenogc chip to version 2.0 and included multiple iso files on 1 disc support.
You cannot update your chip but you had to buy a new one.

Actually the chip patches the drive firmware on the fly to allow burned games to boot, i think it will be the same on the wii, which is a good thing. You cant even tell you got a modchip installed, everything looks exactly the same.

WarmWoollySheep

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I now believe the XenoWii is another false hope, another rumor.

Evidence:

http://registrar.schlund.info/xml/registrar/Whois_Form

type in "xenowii.com"

Some guy purchased that domain on January 12th, a guy who has NOTHING to do with the xeno team, and is running ads on the domain.

If you were the xeno team and you'd made a working drivechip, wouldn't you buy the domain name the day you got it working? I would have bought it the day I started trying to make the chip.

This drivechip is bs, it doesn't exist and eurasia lied.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like to say that this doesnt mean anything , you would always have to wait until the final product is shipping , we have seen so many people flapping their mouth before anything was ever shipped and most of the time didnt deliver.

But atleast there was no youtube video which is a good sign
smile.gif

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i have the XenoGC modchip for the cube and to be honest, its very basic in what you can do with it. But I have around 80 games now which work more or less perfectly. The only one i cant get to work is Metroid Prime (keeps hanging, no matter what version) but other than that it runs anything i throw at it

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Some guy purchased that domain on January 12th, a guy who has NOTHING to do with the xeno team, and is running ads on the domain.

If you were the xeno team and you'd made a working drivechip, wouldn't you buy the domain name the day you got it working? I would have bought it the day I started trying to make the chip.Â
The guy is just a squatter. He's probably trying to cash in on the Xeno and Wii hype. Bah.

The XenoWii chip was probably just a speculation, but that doesn't mean the Xeno team won't make a modchip. The only question is when.

I'm giving it time. The first couple of chips are usually featureless, incompatible crap, and the later ones get the bugs fixed one by one. Best to wait for a good one.

Mendes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I now believe the XenoWii is another false hope, another rumor.

Evidence:

http://registrar.schlund.info/xml/registrar/Whois_Form

type in "xenowii.com"

If you were the xeno team and you'd made a working drivechip, wouldn't you buy the domain name the day you got it working? I would have bought it the day I started trying to make the chip.Â

This drivechip is bs, it doesn't exist and eurasia lied.

no.. Team Xeno already released the Xeno360.. They didnt register that domain either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay