RUMOR - Wii U to have more than 1 GB of RAM

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
FUCK NO. It should least have 4 GB of RAM. And lots of internal storage. I love HDD and Nintendo can stop cutting corners.
wat
why would you need 4gb of ram in a console?
In a few years, early in the console's life, even 4gb will be considered puny.
nah, you dont need that much ram in a console.

Why not? I think 4GB would suffice. Anything over that would be excessive.

Maybe the Wii traumatized me.

Sylar1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The day you realize that the 1 GB of ram is to probably stream the WiiU games to the stupid ass screens and Nintendo will probably gimp the WiiU in every other way possible.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Game consoles aren't your typical computing devices. Your desktop, laptop, smartphone, etc all have more memory because of how they deal with programs. Many of them load up the programs used the most, but don't actually execute them. They stay in RAM until requested, to which they don't take long to start up vs having to load them from whatever media they were initially stored in at the moment they are requested.

Game consoles/handhelds are different. Sure, they have an OS that handles operations in the background too, but they don't have the needs that devices mentioned above have because they aren't designed for that type of computing. Games consoles/handhelds are meant for games. They get the bulk of the RAM dedicated to them while everything else has to share what remains.

Reactions: 1 person

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
These are specs based on the Rev.4 devkit, the rumor says that the amount of RAM is bigger than 1GB but smaller than 8GB.
So in other words, this is positive news.

saberjoy

Trophies
XP
Country
India
These are specs based on the Rev.4 devkit, the rumor says that the amount of RAM is bigger than 1GB but smaller than 8GB.
smaller than 8gb? hahaha! thats a lot
thats like saying the new ferrari is faster than 200k/h but slower than the speed of light

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A Devkit is just that. A Devkit. Basically you can do whatever conclusions based on devkit specs, but since they are devkits, the software may not be optimized for best performance. Thus the end result could be less than the version now in question.. Hopefully we just get a working console with the features promised at launch or at least near launch. Not like the 3DS launch and features :P

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
smaller than 8gb? hahaha! thats a lot
thats like saying the new ferrari is faster than 200k/h but slower than the speed of light
lol, that's what they said.
If this is true, then it would mean it's going to have at least 2GB. I don't think they'll go with 1.5GB or something like that.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
lol XD my computer alone is 2 GB and it's more than enough lol XD

Depends quite a bit what you do with your computer. IE/Safari/Opera/Chrome may run on the 2GB, but I doubt I could even open my 3D Design software with that amount.. It all depends on the usage of the hardware. A console could benefit from more RAM, but it's not the amount, but how you use it :P

alex.ap.pacman

Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo won't ever advance their graphics to anything hyper realistic because they're too afraid of losing their child audience, kid friendly games with uber realistic graphics doesn't do so well. If they make a realistic Zelda, with Havok engine detail, guaranteed to be atleast T.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
I have been told it has a lasergun in the controller and an in-built insultometer.
You better be good at games, or it tells you that you suck and vapourises your cat.
This proves it has 10GB of RAM. Only 1.5GB available for games, the rest is for FirinMaLaaaazzor!
Fact.
Sony say "Typically - Nintendo are using outdated tech again, we have a railgun in PS4, it can accurately target individual body parts"
Nintendo say "We refuse to comment on rumour and speculation" and "laserguns are just for kids" and "think of the new game possibilities!

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No less than 1GB, I'm good with that. 2GB or even 1.5GB should be more than enough. This is positive news.

I just went over on neogaf, the guy who posted this news, also said this.

To be more precise, i was quite surprised by the amount of ram expected in the retail version.

I think this message is a bigger hint that the previous one :P

That's it I'm betting on 2GB RAM retail. :P

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The prob is - even if you have like millions of gigs of RAM, you need to really master utilizing it. Otherwise it's just going to go to waste like the DSi RAM.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Nintendo won't ever advance their graphics to anything hyper realistic because they're too afraid of losing their child audience, kid friendly games with uber realistic graphics doesn't do so well. If they make a realistic Zelda, with Havok engine detail, guaranteed to be atleast T.
That's wrong...
In many ways actually...
You can have a powerful system with amazing graphics, but that doesnt mean all games will need to use the full capability of those graphics, and more graphics doesn't mean more realistic at all... All it means is that it leaves more space for developer freedom regarding the world of the game, there are many games which are colorful or with drawn like styles which have amazing graphics, realism and good graphics aren't entirely the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E