Rumor: Retro Studios Preparing Star Fox Wii U Reveal

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by beta4attack, May 5, 2012.

1. beta4attack
    OP

Member beta4attack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I guess that would be interesting, maybe? I wouldn't know myself because I never played any Star Fox but it IS a huge game so yeah.

Source:
    http://www.nintendol...ox_wii_u_reveal

2. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    I loved Star Fox on N64, and the GameCube games were not bad either. If there is any studio I would trust with the Star Fox series it's Retro. The way they've treated the Metroid and Donkey Kong franchises is awesome, and I would certainly buy a new Star Fox game if they keep their quality level as high as it has always been.

The Wii U could be a great console for this. Flying through HD space with Peppy on the tablet sounds awesome!

3. BrightNeko

Member BrightNeko Popcorn ball

United States
    well that is a day one buy. Retro studios is just pure awesome

4. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    "After the acclaimed Starfox 64 for 3DS... we present you... one of the most loved StarFox games ever, Starfox Adventures WiiU! With HD graphics and tablet support!!!!!11"

Seriously, I hope it's a new title :(

2 people like this.
  5. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    This seems promising, Retro Studios has basically been able to take any franchise and poop out an awesome title with it. I wasn't too fond of Donkey Kong Country but I did actually enjoyed DKCR a lot. I'm not a big Metroid Prime fan but they still did some really amazing stuff with that.

All this being said, there seems to be a lot of potential with the Star Fox franchise, I hope they can do it all. I'd really hope for a game that can meld ground combat, air combat, and vehicle combat effectively.

Yes, I want Star Wars Fox: Battlefront. In all honesty if it's just another rail shooter I probably won't be interested.

4 people like this.
  6. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    A Retro Studios Star Fox sounds sexy.

7. Ultymoo

Member Ultymoo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Retro working on a SF title? Yes please. All of my yes please.

8. Master Mo

Member Master Mo F.R.E.E.

Germany
    Don`t really know about Star Fox... I like the games but somehow I enjoyed games like Panzer Dragoon (which is very similar) or Sin&Punishment (which kinda is different) more then SF.

I think I would be more pleased if they`d do a sequel to SFA, which I thought was great for what it was!

Retro though I think will do a good game whatever they`ll made. I mean I always though the DKC trilogy was kinda mediocre but this gen I think DKCR is by far the best sidescroller! That is quite an accomplishment I I won`t even start on the Prime-trilogy, which is phenomenal!

This is a rumour though so maybe they are working on something original... I would welcome that, too!

9. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Never understood the hate for Star Fox Adventures. I'd love to see a remake personally, though it severely was lacking in the ship combat. The best would be a hybrid of Star Fox 64 and Adventures, with more space combat as you fight your way through enemy defences to land on planets and use the Landmaster tank as well as on foot combat to destroy enemy military installations and fight bosses, some could be done with the Arwing. I just don't like the notion of the whole game being focused on a single style of combat, it got old after Star Fox 64 and I think it would be more enjoyable to have some of the adventuring that was fun in SFA put into the game.

10. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Wait, there was ship combat in it? I didn't see any when I watched it at my friend's house, and thought the game lacked it entirely after reading the thing that the game wasn't meant to be a Starfox game initially.

Looks like I should give it a spin myself sometimes.

11. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Just make sure to break his legs and strap him into a cockpit and im all green for a new StarFox.

1 person likes this.
  12. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Star Fox was originally a test for the SuperFX chip back in the SNES days, but then became a full-blown game. Had the N64 not shipped out earlier than expected, we could have gotten Star Fox 2. We got a remake of Star Fox in the form of Star Fox 64, which imo was the best in the series.

I wouldn't really say that Adventures was bad. I think it had more to do with the fact that it wasn't a Star Fox game we were expecting. It wasn't even a Star Fox game to begin with. There was Assault which was good in it's own right, but to me, it felt a little annoying with the ground missions. Command was also alright, but the lack of on-rails levels and the Japanese soap-opera plot really got to me.

I want a new quality Star Fox game, and I don't recall a single game by Retro Studios that has been considered bad. I just hope that if this is true, and that they are producing the next one, that they don't fumble with it.

13. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Let's hope they make it more of a challenge than Star Fox 64 3DS. I beat the game on 64 mode and got all paths within a day.

14. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    You should, because it's a really good game. I'd say it's one of the best Zelda games outside of the Zelda series. It's totally not a Star Fox game though. For the largest part of its developement is was supposed to be a separate title, and in the end they added a few ship combat levels in between the adventure levels. They were not very memorable though.

@[member='DSGamer64']: the reason people hate it is because it's has completely different gameplay than other Star Fox games. It's really good, but it's in such a different genre that it could as well be a separate series.

15. rt141

Newcomer rt141 Advanced Member

United States
    Made my day, SF never got a game in the wii. Now imagine what Retro Studios could do in a more powerful console with SF, imagine Adventures multiplayer but online.... dam

16. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    The only way I'd have interest in it is if it plays like Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet. I do not want the 10 millionth space shooter game. Yes, Star Fox is known to do space shooters very well, but we really have enough for this generation imo, especially if you count all the non-Star Fox space shooters.

17. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Please, please let it be so. I haven't really enjoyed a Starfox title since 64. Series needs a phoenix down.

Plus, you know, if Nintendo has Pikmin, Starfox and Mario ready for launch, among all those third party titles, with the promise of stuff like SSB4 in the future... well, they're going to be making back that brief financial loss quite quickly.

18. YoshiKart

Member YoshiKart GBAtemp Regular

United States
    New story with N64 gameplay please. :D
    But all in all, I trust Retro in bringing back Star Fox.

19. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Everyone wants Retro to do everything.

I personally think they should be rewarded by doing something new. They've had too many promising looking projects cancelled and Nintendo can always do with a new "shit hot" IP.

20. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    I agree with Guild. A Star Fox game like Assault would be epic. I mean, the weapon selection was awesome, the ground combat levels that had you shooting up enemies on the ground and then hoping back in your arwing to help hold back air-forces. Awesome. If they make this one with a looser combat system (mean the fact you.could really crouch or roll got annoying when your buddy came rolling over in a landmaster also, online is a must. And STYLUS AIMMING OPTIONS!